• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

All day sits, below freezing temps, and empty bellies.

DIYSaddler

So the temp finally feel of a cliff here in Missouri and I took off work the 22nd-26th and I plan to do some all day sits because it'll be too far from home to go home for lunch let alone to warm up. The last time I did this I had a hard time finding food that wouldn't turn into rocks in my pack after a couple hours in the woods. I'm not particularly keen in busting any teeth this year as in the Great popcorn incident on November.

What are you guys doing for late season all day food stuffs?

Learned the hard way that cliff bars are not the answer. Definitely generated heat chewing.

Jerky/hunters sausage seems to do well when kept in a jacket pocket.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree with huck and boone on both. Jerky has always been a favorite of mine, and a hot can of soup in a thermos at midday is always nice on a cold sit.

Speaking of keeping things hot/cold, I haven't tried it out yet, but for anyone who is interested in those yeti tumblers, I picked up an ozark rambler which is the same thing for 15 bucks on a recommendation from a friend. The reviews online said it was the same or better as the yeti.

Fat has the most energy per weight. Olive oil is a good fat that is liquid at room temp.

I take olive oil, some type of animal flesh (jerky) and if all day, a thermos with some hot liquid (soup/coffee).

Look up pemmican. It is protein and fat and some carbs (berries). It was used for people out in the wilderness.

Get some fat, some protein and some high temp liquid (coffee/soup/etc) to warm you.

Red I have a buddy who has one of those tumblers and he said it works great. At the price point for a yeti I'd say its now about a name with them.

As far as food jerky and thermos with soup. Ill mix the two sometimes depending on the soup lol jerky and clam chowder not a great combo when mixed lol.

2 degrees out here today. I'm planning on getting out in the morning to add some points.. last day of muzzleloader season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But it's gonna be cold..... time to try out my Kelvin pants and jacket under fanatic bibs and jacket. I hope it's as toasty as i envision.

Not nearly as cold here Ernie, but it's around freezing. Finally finished my iwom mod and going to test it out this afternoon.

Let me know how that goes. I've been interested in getting that or The hbs. They never seem to come up used in the right size though.

Let me know how that goes. I've been interested in getting that or The hbs. They never seem to come up used in the right size though.

Sat in in on Saturday afternoon. I would need way more field time in it before I could recommend it. I did start to get a little chilly around my chest at dark after 3 hours. That could be because it was a little compressed.

As far as using it in a saddle, I'm not sure. The material catches the bark pretty easy and although the material isn't noisy is makes noise rubbing on the bark, and my entire knee/leg area contacts the bark. Those are just my initial impressions, I'll have to work with it some more.

Sat in in on Saturday afternoon. I would need way more field time in it before I could recommend it. I did start to get a little chilly around my chest at dark after 3 hours. That could be because it was a little compressed.

As far as using it in a saddle, I'm not sure. The material catches the bark pretty easy and although the material isn't noisy is makes noise rubbing on the bark, and my entire knee/leg area contacts the bark. Those are just my initial impressions, I'll have to work with it some more.
For what it's worth, on Sunday, I wore base layers, then Kelvin, then my fanatic set. I was very comfortable, but honestly felt Iike the kid from the Christmas story. I don't know if I could shoot my bow like that or not. For rifle or cross bow, It would be fine.

Fat has the most energy per weight. Olive oil is a good fat that is liquid at room temp.

I take olive oil, some type of animal flesh (jerky) and if all day, a thermos with some hot liquid (soup/coffee).

Look up pemmican. It is protein and fat and some carbs (berries). It was used for people out in the wilderness.

Get some fat, some protein and some high temp liquid (coffee/soup/etc) to warm you.
Yeah. Pemmican is the answer. Oh, and tradition states that you have to post a video of eating it the first time. :grimacing:

For what it's worth, on Sunday, I wore base layers, then Kelvin, then my fanatic set. I was very comfortable, but honestly felt Iike the kid from the Christmas story. I don't know if I could shoot my bow like that or not. For rifle or cross bow, It would be fine.

Had my snow camo on . upload_2016-12-12_10-50-36.png

I had the same thought with the iwom for shooting. It's the biggest problem with late season and the bow in general. I've shot a few deer with my bow in January in my cabela's stand hunter extreme coveralls, but I am always checking to make sure I have string clearance. Those coveralls are big and bulky, but so far they are the warmest thing I've found. My father makes fun of me cause he says I look like a bear wearing them.

If you haven't tried the adhesive body warmers right on top of your base layers, stop what you're doing and get some. They make a YUUUUJE difference.

One on each kidney and 1 over your heart. You can easily get 8 hours of hunt time out of each warmer (4 hour sit morning and evening?). This cut my outerwear requirements down significantly.

Yeah. Pemmican is the answer. Oh, and tradition states that you have to post a video of eating it the first time. :grimacing:

Pemmican rocks! Eat pemmican, it puts hair on your chest and gives you energy to pursue game in brutally cold weather.

I have toyed with the idea of making it with coconut oil instead of rendered fat. I would have to keep it away from body heat when carrying it so it doesn't melt.

I cannot believe more hunters do not carry pemmican in the field.

If you haven't tried the adhesive body warmers right on top of your base layers, stop what you're doing and get some. They make a YUUUUJE difference.

One on each kidney and 1 over your heart. You can easily get 8 hours of hunt time out of each warmer (4 hour sit morning and evening?). This cut my outerwear requirements down significantly.
What he says ! I use the toe warmers too

Sounds like meat pie. Never had one but I'm guessing if you don't think of it like candy it's not all that bad. Then again I've never had meat pie. Looks like I have some cooking to do.

Back