• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alpaca socks

swampsnyper

Saw Ontariofarmer post about them in another thread. Never heard of them before so I looked them up. Suppose to be warmer than wool. If so, I’m all in.
Tell me more about it and what brands to buy. And which ones won’t fall down.

I haven’t used alpaca much, but it is a great material.
It insulated better than wool, is hypoallergenic, and has similar antimicrobial to merino. The price has been my barrier to purchasing them. If money were no problem... I would have merino or alpaca everything for base and insulation layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t used alpaca much, but it is a great material.
It insulated better than wool, is hypoallergenic, and has similar antimicrobial to merino. The price has been my barrier to purchasing them. If money were no problem... I would have merino or alpaca everything for base and insulation layers.

I have a set of kuiu Merino woolbase layers. I use to love them. They feel great on the skin and after all day in them, I don’t notice a scent to them. Even wore them multi days with no stink that I could tell. They are great for camping trips but the down fall is if you sweat in them they hold moisture for a while but are still warm. I got some kuiu synthetic base layers late this fall and have been reaching over my merino base layers for them lately. Haven’t done a sweat stink test to them yet. Now that it’s colder, it seems that I feel drier in them over the wool. I know when I wash both sets and let air dry, the synthetic layers are almost completely dry when they come out of the spin cycle of the washer. The merino takes all day or longer to dry while hanging inside. I won’t be buying any more merino base layers.

Lol I'm not sure of the brand.... I think it is softer then Merino wool and feels better. Performance wise I can't really say as it hasn't got that cold here yet

Last edited:
I have two pairs. I bought one pair at a farm show from an alpaca farmer. They are loose but do not fall down in a muck boot. I have some coming for Christmas so I have not tried them. Wool insulates even when super wet. Synthetics do not. I paid. About the same for merino socks as I did for Alpaca.

Here is something from another site.
Alpaca wool is hollow fiber so it is warmer than wool.
Sheep's Wool vs. Alpaca Fleece
Is there really a difference?

From my reading, research and use in the field, I would say yes.

Alpaca fleece is as soft as cashmere, warmer than sheep’s wool, hypo-allergenic and almost completely waterproof. This is the tag line I hear most often in the alpaca world. I am going to dissect this phrase comparing the two fibers.

Alpaca fleece is as soft as cashmere: Sometimes. Some alpacas can also feel as cuddly as a Brillo pad. However, many farms promote quality breeding programs with super fine, 16-18 micron fleece, which is extremely soft. Plus, alpaca does not have the scales that wool has, so the strains are smoother. Wool production has made great strides in increasing the softness of the strains of various sheep herds. This is evident in a company call Rambler's Way with great wool products.

Warmer than sheep’s wool: Alpaca is a hollow fiber, where sheep wool has pockets of air. Much like Polar Bear fur, the air pockets allow for heat to be trapped, creating greater thermal capacity. Thus, alpaca does tend to be able to be warmer than wool.

Hypo-allergenic: Alpaca is considered a dry fiber, without lanolin that is found in sheep’s wool. Some clothing lines of wool are now being promoted as “superwashed” for next-to-skin capabilities by removing the wool’s lanolin and barbs. According to Textile Chemicals: Environmental Data and Facts, the superwashed wool is treated with synthetic resins (polyamide / epichlorohydrine or polyurethane), a method that can include such chemicals as chlorine and hypochlorous acid, sulphuric acid, sodium hypochlorite, alkali metal salts of dichloroisocyanuric acid (DCCA) and an acid-stable wetting agent. The chlorination process for wool has lead to enormous environmental problems. Alpaca now offers an eco-friendly alternative to natural fiber active wear.

Almost Completely Waterproof: Yes, if you pour water on alpaca, it will get wet. However, it does offer great wicking abilities. Wool will absorb up to 50% of its body weight in moisture, but after this there is a saturation point and the sweat can sit next to skin, increasing discomfort and likelihood of blisters (socks rubbing against the skin). Because alpaca is hollow, it traps in more heat and mechanically pushes the water away, never having a saturation point on the skin. Essentially, the water evaporates because of the warmth of the alpaca.

So the answer to my initial question, is there really a difference? Definitely.

Last edited:
All I can say is you dudes better hope we don't share camp together.... you might find a nice little "gift" in your crocs upon waking.

If we ever share camp I will be on a mission to get a pic of you sleeping with a pair. Even if we have to slip something in your drink to do so! Lol
Might be safer to just photoshop it! Lol

Put an order in for a few socks and liner see how they are soon

These came in and I gave them the best test I could this weekend. It’s been the coldest this southern boy experienced down here. Probably summer weather for y’all northerners. All I had were these boots. Pretty light insulated rubber boot.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...mm-neoprene-rubber-boot/1723351.uts?slotId=13

Only wore one pair of these alpaca socks. No sock liner. They weren’t even as thick as the smart wool I usually use. About as thick as a new pair of cotton crew socks. Maybe not having my foot jammed in the boot and allowing more air space had more to do with it than the actual sock but my feet didn’t freeze like it has on less colder days. The low was 14-17 and high in the low 20s for a few days. Wind chill was in single digits.

I got a thicker pair coming in from the other company I posted earlier. I’ll let y’all know how they work.

I have both the thicker socks and thinner ones from the company you listed and I have sat with them 2 days (the thicker socks) I wore them with 1200 gram boots added the alpaca boot liners and my feet felt awesome. Temps were 3-7 degrees out on the one sit. They wicked sweat away great and from my limited experience with them I do feel they made a good difference for me.

I won’t get too much more use out of them this season as I won’t be sitting just scouting which I will wear the thinner socks and non insulated boots to do. My big question will be how well they hold up for me. So far I am pleased with the purchase.

Btw the online experience I had with the company he posted is the best communication I have personally ever recieved from a company and I order a ton of gear online. Was texted when they got my order, when it shipped and literally a text within 30 mins of it being on my door step saying I recieved it. I also used their chat feature to ask a few questions (regarding allergies/sensitivities) and you speak with someone almost immidately. I had a suggestion for a product I would like to see made and I got the owners personal email.

Top notch cust service from my perspective

Lol I'm not sure of the brand.... I think it is softer then Merino wool and feels better. Performance wise I can't really say as it hasn't got that cold here yet

You get a chance to use them in this cold snap?

You get a chance to use them in this cold snap?

Been sick haven't hunted since eartl Dec. Have one more weekend but will probably scout more than hunt.

Last edited:
Used mine all fall love them I have a heavy and light pair.
The ones I wore all fall show a bit of wear I expect if you wash them after each use they may not stand up.
I think like any wool they do not need frequent washing because they dry out and do not smell

Last edited:
I wish someone would make a 100% heavy double layer vest. That would be the cats meow on those chilly fall days

Back