• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Always learning in PA

lladnew

I just ordered the new Kestrel!

I'm new to Saddle hunting since last year. I had gotten away from hunting for a decade or so because of my job. My son was interested in hunting so I started up again. He decided he didn't like it, but I caught the bug again. As a result of feeling like I didn't have enough time to practice for proper proficiency with the compound, I ended up deciding to compromise with a crossbow. From there, I caught the saddle bug. I have always used climbing stands primarily the Summit. I don't mind setting it up and using. My issue is trying to sneak through tight spaces with it on my back and catching on things. I decided a saddle might be the ticket.

I started immediately trying to use a rope climbing technique (paracord pre-set in the tree to pull up the climbing rope). I've quickly found that the climbing rope along with an ascender and grigri have their own weight and gear issues. It all certainly has a learning curve which is heavily influenced by personal taste and skills. I purchased a set of Lone Wolf climbing sticks after last season that I want to experiment with. I found that getting a tree pre-set with paracord in order to use a climbing rope was no trivial matter when you are trying to achieve at least 25 feet. Even with a throw weight on the end, I spend a lot of time and make a lot of noise trying to set the paracord ahead of time. I decided the climbing sticks would aid in pre-setting if nothing else. If I like them, it could replace the rope climbing idea altogether although it sure is fun to repel down the tree when I'm finishing the hunt from a rope. I hunt almost exclusively on public land so the screw in steps aren't an option... I wish they were.

I'm looking at doing on of Ernie's kits with an XOP seat as a platform. I need something to strap on because of hunting public land. I had some aluminum steps cut from wide aluminum angle that I put on a strap, but I'm not happy with their functionality. Searching for improvements.

Welcome. I have tried just about every climbing method and platform you can think of. I pretty much have settled on 3.

1. If I'm using sticks, I use the top of the last stick as the base of my platform and place 2 Ameristeps on either side of the tree.
2. If that doesn't work, I'll use 4-5 Ameristeps on a single strap for the complete platform.
3. I'm I'm using my spurs, I'll use the XOP platform.

All 3 have pros and cons. For comfort, the XOP platform can't be beat. No question about it. For simplicity, using the top of your climbing sticks and possibly 1 or 2 steps on either side of the tree is tough to beat.

At the end of the day it's all about familiarity. Practice with your setup until you are 100% comfortable and confident with setup and shooting. After that, I don't think it matters which method you use.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site and back into hunting. You'll definitely enjoy saddle hunting. G2 made some excellent points!!!!

Welcome. I have tried just about every climbing method and platform you can think of. I pretty much have settled on 3.

1. If I'm using sticks, I use the top of the last stick as the base of my platform and place 2 Ameristeps on either side of the tree.
2. If that doesn't work, I'll use 4-5 Ameristeps on a single strap for the complete platform.
3. I'm I'm using my spurs, I'll use the XOP platform.

All 3 have pros and cons. For comfort, the XOP platform can't be beat. No question about it. For simplicity, using the top of your climbing sticks and possibly 1 or 2 steps on either side of the tree is tough to beat.

At the end of the day it's all about familiarity. Practice with your setup until you are 100% comfortable and confident with setup and shooting. After that, I don't think it matters which method you use.
Thanks for the tips and explanations G2, much appreciated! I have Ernie's kit on the way and I already have the XOP platform in my possession. I do not own any Ameristeps with them being difficult to come by so I haven't tried those yet. I have 2 of the cranford steps but don't like the multiple ropes idea. I thought about stringing a couple together, but it wouldn't be easy for the distance between them to be adjusted for different sized trees. I don't have spurs either, but I won't bother trying those for now since they aren't an option for public land. I plan to do more experimenting. I just gleaned some helpful tips from justsomedude and boyne bowhunter for using a shorter climbing rope so that will help with the weight of the extra rope. I'd like to avoid carrying sticks so I think I'll only use those for new setups perhaps. Time will tell.

For getting up the tree in a preset situation (private ground) I'll use Cranford style steps or some kind of multi piece ladder. Cranfords if I'm trying to keep my tree from being noticed. I'll also use the steps as a platform if it's a situation where I may be leaving them for awhile.

The portable rig is 4 LW minis, aider on the bottom set and Ameristeps on a ratchet strap for a platform. I can get about 20' which is plenty if there is cover.

I like to be a little higher than 20' if possible. I may need to buy some ameristeps... just hard to find and expensive for what they are because of demand. I'll try the XOP platform and go from there. I am concerned that I may not like the extra weight and bulk, but we'll see.

I like to be a little higher than 20' if possible. I may need to buy some ameristeps... just hard to find and expensive for what they are because of demand. I'll try the XOP platform and go from there. I am concerned that I may not like the extra weight and bulk, but we'll see.
It seems if you like to sit in a saddle and are not a big boy then most seem to like the ameristeps. If you are a large man and like to lean in a saddle then a platform might suit better. That is my observation from this site.

Good observation. Never really thought about it. I'm 145#ish and probably in the best shape of my 41 year life. It doesn't bother me a bit to put alot of weight on my legs for a few hours.....If I wear stiff enough boots.

You'll be fine with steps of any kind. It will take some getting used to, but be patient and you'll be right at home on your step platform in quick order.

The XOP platform is the Cadillac of platforms. You can sit, lean, stand, do jumping jacks...anything. I love them.

Good observation. Never really thought about it. I'm 145#ish and probably in the best shape of my 41 year life. It doesn't bother me a bit to put alot of weight on my legs for a few hours.....If I wear stiff enough boots.
I think Red and Boswell prefer ameristeps if I am correct and they are smaller.

The steps allow you to go around the tree and are less bulky. I have both and use both but I am 200 pounds. I lean and sit 50-50. Not sure what I prefer yet. I was 145 pounds about 45 years ago. Stay away from the ice cream

Back