• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel bridge question

GBlevins92

I know from what I've seen most of you that have amsteel bridges splice them on but would there be anything unsafe with using an overhand knot on each side to my sitdrag..... I want to be able to try it out to make sure I like it before I put all the time into splicing it, currently I am using my linemans belts strap that came with my trophy line safety harness I have as a bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For just trying it at ground level it shouldn't be a problem. But really you can splice it just about as fast as tying a knots and it's easier to get undone after putting weight on it.

You don't want to use it like that off the ground. Amsteel is very slick and it is not recommended to tie knots with it because they don't hold well.

Good to know, are there any concerns I should be aware of with splicing....if I decide against amsteel and use webbing the overhand not is safe for it though correct?

Good to know, are there any concerns I should be aware of with splicing....if I decide against amsteel and use webbing the overhand not is safe for it though correct?

Just make sure your bury of the splice is deep enough. There is a chart somewhere explaining all of that.

Anyone have any pics of their amsteel bridge? Also where did you order from?

Now that i've got my sit drag all tied up with yale bandit it still seems like I could save some bulk by cutting down on rope weight.

Amsteel is simple to splice,splice is stronger than knots,knots will probably slip over time. You do need to bury enough (there are instructions on sampsons website as well as alot of you tube stuff) ,and I recommend you run some simple lock stitches through the bury,to be sure it never backs out.As life support,you can not over do safety,and the stitching is a simple failsafe for the splice.

You don't want to use it like that off the ground. Amsteel is very slick and it is not recommended to tie knots with it because they don't hold well.
I actually want to make a correction to this statement, that was what I think I read somewhere and had been going on. I just read an article the other day that was testing dyneema ropes. The ropes lost a MASSIVE amount of their strength when tied in various knots. I think splicing it reduced it to around 80%, but all the knots they tested reduced to about 30% of the original strength or less.

I actually want to make a correction to this statement, that was what I think I read somewhere and had been going on. I just read an article the other day that was testing dyneema ropes. The ropes lost a MASSIVE amount of their strength when tied in various knots. I think splicing it reduced it to around 80%, but all the knots they tested reduced to about 30% of the original strength or less.

This is getting off topic, but are there any threads/resources related to testing protocols for DIY saddles?

This is getting off topic, but are there any threads/resources related to testing protocols for DIY saddles?
Nope, everything is up to the end user to determine what they determine is safe. We are a niche market and I try to use the arborist/rock climbing industry's safety guidelines as a baseline.

What DIA amsteel is everyone using? 3/8" or 3/4". It looks like the stuff on my XOP platform is 3/8".

I think he says 1/4 in the video. It's small, real small bridge and light.

I just tied my fixed bridge a few days ago with 1/4" amsteel I was worried that It would feel to small at first but I really liked it, I actually ended up burying enough of the tail on both ends that it was buried all the way to the middle of the bridge so it did make it a little thicker.

Good. So you did splice it? You don't want to tie knots with Amsteel. Splicing is the way to go. Plus it looks cleaner and more professional.

Yes I did the Brummell on one side and the lock stitch on the other wasn't bad to do at all

so would amsteel be that much lighter than the nylon runner I am currently using?

I doubt it as well. However, I believe the strength to weight ratio is far better with Amsteel. Plus Amsteel is very pliable and packs down small. It also slides EXTREMELY well through a carbiner.

Back