• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another tool in the box?

essdub

I do use scent control hunting gear. I do use scent control spray, soap, wipes, etc. I do use scent control detergent and sometimes even wash clothes/self in activated carbon and use carbon masks in the woods often. I do use an ozone generator for my hunting gear.
But I was thinking about the natural methods we used to treat my girlfriend when she had cancer.
One of the things I learned to make was colloidal silver. I still make it and use it for some things and it just hit me. ..
It's an anti microbial and anti bacterial, isn't it? Isn't bacteria the primary cause of scent? Especially here in the south when you're going to be sweating except for maybe maybe late November and December?
Anybody using this to supplement their scent control?

I'm gonna experiment with this

I know some clothing manufacturers were incorporating that into their garments. It probably has some merit.

Yes, absolutely. Medical equipment, pool/spa filters, and clothing lined with silver all are using the anti-bacterial properties of silver. In fact, if you ever wonder why kids today get sick from everything and why we know longer use sterling silver flatware, within 5 minutes of each other you may be on to something... ;)

Lots of warnings on colloidal silver, especially for those who make it for themselves. So I haven't researched how it is absorbed and used by the body. Drinking it and sending it thru your stomach to process and absorb into the blood - may be part of what "activates" it. So using it to wash may not give you the same effect... maybe the silver won't react with the bacteria... that's just a thought for a reason why it may not work.

If it does work then it would be interesting to know if it lasts longer, works better or is cheaper than the sprays. Essentially it would be serving the same purpose.

If you really want to know how effective it will be on scent - ask yourself "Did my gas used to stink less when I drank that stuff?" If the answer is yes, then either you've recently been eating more eggs, or the stuff really works. :?

I recently read that rubbing your face with a charcoal briquette is better than wearing a face mask or balaclava because the face mask tends to hold odors. So you guys that don't floss might need to smuggle some kingsford at your next barbecue. Also the charcoal helps you sweat a little less and is odor free, you just look like an idiot... But the collective mocking. contempt of the squirrels shouldn't keep you from it.

xtacleone said:
I recently read that rubbing your face with a charcoal briquette is better than wearing a face mask or balaclava because the face mask tends to hold odors. So you guys that don't floss might need to smuggle some kingsford at your next barbecue. Also the charcoal helps you sweat a little less and is odor free, you just look like an idiot... But the collective mocking. contempt of the squirrels shouldn't keep you from it.

I agree with your point on breath. It is probably the weakest point on anyone who takes scent control to the max.
Obviously if you are walking in with stinky cloth boots and breaking branches with a hand that smells like gasoline, you have more serious concerns.

Best I can do for now is wear a scent lok face mask and breathe thru my nose after flossing and brushing and not eating onions... which I've done and regretted...

There's also a new natural body odor hack for underarms.. Crystal Body Deodorant Stick.. basically the salts kill the bacteria without using a Aluminum sulfate. Totally natural and works surprisingly well. I used it last year and I was happy. it's not really deodorant per say since they have a scent free one that I'm using but it does cut body odor drastically.

Back