• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anybody here from the Cumming Georgia area?

ma1979

There is a very good possibility that my family and I will be moving from the thumb of Michigan to the Cumming Georgia area in the near future. Just wondering how the hunting is in and around the area and if there is much public land to hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It's a beautiful area!!! I have a job opportunity in that area that my family and I are considering. Just trying to weigh things out.

I live south of Atlanta. I've spent a great deal of time in Cumming Ga. Fished Lake Lanier tons. Beautiful area but not much public hunting land. There are however 2 wonderful national forests in Georgia . Oconee and Chattahoochee National Forests. Chattahoochee is a little over an hour north and Oconee is 2 1/2 hours southeast. Each provides plenty of hunting opportunities. WMA stamps and regular state licenses are required.

Thanks for the info!!! Where I live here in Michigan I have more public land around me than I can hunt in a season. So to move to a area with very limited hunting access is going to be very difficult for me. We are heading down on labor day weekend to check things out and make our decision.

I live in cumming, you'll have Dawson Forest wma 24k acres, Mcgraw Ford wma and numerous other areas close by. Lots of lakes and rivers to fish. Welcome to no snow,lol

Where at in the thumb? I didn't think there was much public hunting land up that way and what I did see kind of scared me (pop-up blinds and old ladder stands every 40-60 yards from each other).

Areas are north and Northwest of cumming about 20-25 minutes away. Anther 30 minutes and you have thousands of acres of national forest to hunt. Beware of what you read on forums about public land, everyone will say it's crowded and not to bother. I'm moving to Texas in 2 weeks and joined texasbowhunter.com, I inquired about public and got responses from there is no public land to you'll get shot and somebody on every tree. I'm just going to scout in early spring in texas and Oklahoma and find out for myself. Two good archery shops are the outdoor depot in Gainesville and pop's Outdoors in Cleveland. The ones in cumming not so good. Hope this helps.
Ken

Areas are north and Northwest of cumming about 20-25 minutes away. Anther 30 minutes and you have thousands of acres of national forest to hunt. Beware of what you read on forums about public land, everyone will say it's crowded and not to bother. I'm moving to Texas in 2 weeks and joined texasbowhunter.com, I inquired about public and got responses from there is no public land to you'll get shot and somebody on every tree. I'm just going to scout in early spring in texas and Oklahoma and find out for myself. Two good archery shops are the outdoor depot in Gainesville and pop's Outdoors in Cleveland. The ones in cumming not so good. Hope this helps.
Ken
You're going to fit in on this site great I believe. Most people complain about hunting public land. I prefer it and enjoy the challenge. It gives me access to thousands of acres of land. Personally I would get bored hunting the same 40 acres all the time. I have not seen another hunter while in the woods yet this season... although once gun season comes in that would change for sure.

Thanks for all the replies! Its been a while since i have been on here. Been working 2 fulltime jobs trying to save $ to afford to make the move. 90 hours a week is getting old!!! I appreciate the info you guys have given. I did see the Dawsonville area on the map. We would like to be around that area or big canoe area. Not sure when or if the move will happen now because the job i was looking at fell through. I've been watching job sites though hoping something worthwhile will come up.

I hunt the Tuscola state game areas. Here is a pic of my state land buck from this last season. Seen him and a bigger 10 that dwarfed this guy during bow season but no shot opportunity.
ee2b315857d74bdb9a0855de67cfb9ff.jpg

Hello everyone, i realise this is a old thread that i had started but just wanted to give a update. So i had a good job offer last week and the family and i are finally making the move to northern Georgia. We will be living a few miles south of Dawsonville. I move down August 12 and the family will be coming down in November. I can't wait to learn a new area to hunt. Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my 1st Georgia buck this fall

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, i realise this is a old thread that i had started but just wanted to give a update. So i had a good job offer last week and the family and i are finally making the move to northern Georgia. We will be living a few miles south of Dawsonville. I move down August 12 and the family will be coming down in November. I can't wait to learn a new area to hunt. Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my 1st Georgia buck this fall
emoji106.png

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
I'm not far from there. I've always been told the public land around here is overcrowded and the deer are so pressured they're practically nocturnal. Last year was my first season as a deer hunter, and I was still successful. I even decided to still hunt because I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a stand. I had never heard of saddle hunting, but I knew that I needed to get into the areas other hunters didn't want to go. I wasn't willing to carry a bulky, heavy climbing stand all the way, up and down steep grades, and through thick stuff. So... if a rookie hunter can make it happen while still hunting with all the mistakes I made, and see as many deer as I did, it must be where and how those people are hunting. If you're willing to work hard for it, there is some good hunting around here. I'm excited to explore more of the public land available to us here in north Georgia. Good luck!

Back