• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone interested in doing a late spring scouting trip/seminar in the South?

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Here is my thought. we have plenty of really successful SH dudes right here with a ton of experience in south hunting. I am curious how many of our southern brothers would be interested in a group of us, getting together in a central location for a long extended weekend and scouting together. We could go out in buddy teams for a couple days, come back in each evening share what we all found and then last couple days we could goat a group and look over the better spots.

For me specifically, I would not mind putting an event together in the NE TX, SE OK, Western AR area. I really think it would be far more valuable to do something like this with local guys then trying to bring a big name hunter form the North that has little experience.

Just tossing around some ideas as southern guys get overlooked a lot. I have hunted whitetails in 20+ states and I can tell you some of the public land hunting in the south is the hardest I have ever encounter as far as finding bedding, narrowing down travel routes, even finding a mature whitetail.

post here if you might be interested in something like this.

Dave I would be interested. I have a place that can be used and can put a few people up in some pretty comfortable accommodations.

I was already thinking about sending you a message to see if you’d consider coming down to help me scout and plan my place. I have had one heck of a time figuring it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is my thought. we have plenty of really successful SH dudes right here with a ton of experience in south hunting. I am curious how many of our southern brothers would be interested in a group of us, getting together in a central location for a long extended weekend and scouting together. We could go out in buddy teams for a couple days, come back in each evening share what we all found and then last couple days we could goat a group and look over the better spots.

For me specifically, I would not mind putting an event together in the NE TX, SE OK, Western AR area. I really think it would be far more valuable to do something like this with local guys then trying to bring a big name hunter form the North that has little experience.

Just tossing around some ideas as southern guys get overlooked a lot. I have hunted whitetails in 20+ states and I can tell you some of the public land hunting in the south is the hardest I have ever encounter as far as finding bedding, narrowing down travel routes, even finding a mature whitetail.

post here if you might be interested in something like this.

Dave I would be interested. I have a place that can be used and can put a few people up in some pretty comfortable accommodations.

I was already thinking about sending you a message to see if you’d consider coming down to help me scout and plan my place. I have had one heck of a time figuring it out.

This would be in east TX, it’s very thick with some hills and creeks

I could do that - perhaps come down and spend a day with you and then we could do a couple days in public with some others? how close are you to the Davy Crockett? Any other public land near by?

Ikeman where are you? Any LA, OK, AR boys in for this?

I could do that - perhaps come down and spend a day with you and then we could do a couple days in public with some others? how close are you to the Davy Crockett? Any other public land near by?

Ikeman where are you? Any LA, OK, AR boys in for this?

Okay let’s plan it. I’m pretty close to Davy Crockett, the map shows a gold pin where I am and you can see Davy Crockett.

I’m not sure where Ikeman hunts but he is pretty close to here also.

d6d5fb0b4bbfc52456d7836cb78ad9e5.jpg

I'm in DFW area and only hunt public. Probably couldn't contribute a ton but would be down to learn from you veterans.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I would love to come Scout with you I'm sure I could learn a ton from you. I also started to respond to your other post about swapping hunts. I am just starting to hunt public land and have started to scout Tensas National Wildlife Refuge I covered about 10 miles my first two days I'm hoping to get back out there as soon as I can after SaddlePalooza. I'm afraid it probably wouldn't be a fair trade though as I am a pretty inexperienced Hunter. Besides that the Refuge is three and a half hours away from my house so I'm working on possibly getting a camp for next hunting season in the area(I am staying at a friend's place for my scouting trips). The other major problem I have is I'm not allowed to use cameras on The Refuge. If you would be interested and possibly coming this way to do some scouting and I could come your way and do some scouting with you and maybe we could hunt with each other a week or two next year I think that would be pretty cool. I own my own business and it is seasonal work (Lawn and Landscape work) so I'm pretty flexible in the winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I might be interested, depending on work and travel time from north east AR.

Don’t know how I missed this thread...
I would be interested, but don’t know how my schedule would line up. That would make 5 specific weekends I’d need off this spring... if I happened to hold a weekday schedule that month, it might not be hard. If I end up working weekends, it’ll be dang near impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to come Scout with you I'm sure I could learn a ton from you. I also started to respond to your other post about swapping hunts. I am just starting to hunt public land and have started to scout Tensas National Wildlife Refuge I covered about 10 miles my first two days I'm hoping to get back out there as soon as I can after SaddlePalooza. I'm afraid it probably wouldn't be a fair trade though as I am a pretty inexperienced Hunter. Besides that the Refuge is three and a half hours away from my house so I'm working on possibly getting a camp for next hunting season in the area(I am staying at a friend's place for my scouting trips). The other major problem I have is I'm not allowed to use cameras on The Refuge. If you would be interested and possibly coming this way to do some scouting and I could come your way and do some scouting with you and maybe we could hunt with each other a week or two next year I think that would be pretty cool. I own my own business and it is seasonal work (Lawn and Landscape work) so I'm pretty flexible in the winter.

Instead of tenses you never thought about a few closer places to you. You could be at lake Ophelia in maybe about 2-2.5hours. Which I say every year I am going to go scout and hunt.

Instead of tenses you never thought about a few closer places to you. You could be at lake Ophelia in maybe about 2-2.5hours. Which I say every year I am going to go scout and hunt.
To be honest with you this is the first public land I've ever scouted or set foot on. I'm considering a couple other places including Tunica which is not too far from my house but I prefer to stay as close as possible(I have a bad habit of falling asleep driving). As it stands right now I can drive a little further and I have a camp to stay at at least for the time being. If you would like to get together and do some scouting I would be down for meeting you and going to check it out together. The way I see it two sets of eyes in the same patch of woods is always better than one. The ground gets covered more thoroughly that way. I've also been considering Saint Catherine's Creek in Mississippi I figured if I'm not going to pay for hunting leases anymore I can afford to hunt two states.

I understand that. I'm just getting into the public too. I still have my hunting lease to hunt but I am starting to enjoy getting away from all the whining from grown men.

I understand that. I'm just getting into the public too. I still have my hunting lease to hunt but I am starting to enjoy getting away from all the whining from grown men.
Ain't that the damn truth. So if you think you might be interested in getting together and going to check some places out shoot me a pm. My wife also gave me the go-ahead to start looking for a camper so that would be a complete game-changer for hunting public land if I can find something that fits the budget

Don’t know how I missed this thread...
I would be interested, but don’t know how my schedule would line up. That would make 5 specific weekends I’d need off this spring... if I happened to hold a weekday schedule that month, it might not be hard. If I end up working weekends, it’ll be dang near impossible.

I’ve been wondering if you would ever chime in!

There only appears to be limited interest. I may go ahead and pick a new to me WMA in SE Oklahoma or NE TX and just offer that up when the time comes. I am pretty much a solo/loner hunter as I suspect most are.

It may be too close to your normal hunting area Dave, but I’d love to hit the McGee Creek, Stringtown, Atoka WMA, and Atoka PHA conglomerate of properties at some point.

Im giving mine up heavily managed
Huge deer alot of them too but ive asked myself is 1800 bucks worth a spot i hunt only 2-3 times a year. No way. The more pressure you put on an area ( over hunting it ) the less deer your gonna see. Well too me thats talking about deer in general
Mature bucks well they are another whole animal when it comes to pressure so to me unless its about 10,000 acres. Its nice to have private leases but just not worth it look on your state and fish game sites there is more public land than people think you just gotta dig and maybe ask some questions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_gcun8_kLGQWJMDxQtFpQ

Back