• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow penetration test.

swampsnyper

Anyone ever do any kind of penetration test before. I’ve read the Ashby test years ago and keep going back to them. With my short draw length on a recurve I need all the help I can get. Got a bear hunt coming up so I been playing around. Seen a similar test with a barrel on leather wall. Figured I try a couple different arrow set ups. Both of these arrows were tuned to me shooting my recurve. Yet they are very different. Same bow and same broadhead. Have added weighted inserts in the GrizzlyStik arrow. Might try some other tuned arrow set ups later.
Shot each arrow twice. They penetrated different every time but the heavier slower arrow was always deeper as expected. Wish I had a pressure plate to shoot to get a better readout. Lots of variables can effect the out come on this test. Take it for what it’s worth. Maybe the barrel filled with a uniform sand might do better. The 2 blade slit in the plastic effected the way the arrow kicked at rest. But they did fly straight and hit straight on.

90a956134d4d10286ed0313a9a4f3ecf.jpg

1st set

ad7b08b2ec27f1f1bd32bb69f797ad4f.jpg

1f0d1bec8400973a9f82109f34265cf2.jpg

2nd set

de0fcbc07b8dfa87c615cdf33edaeeb4.jpg

0e5de82e3efc070e8f517435660c6b22.jpg

10d83ee7814be463a4f6785145beafc4.jpg

Good thought to make sure your penetration is the best for bear hunting.

I shoot the arrow dynamics and have had good luck. I really like the easy of tuning with the tapered shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always amazed at what my arrows will go through...usually because I missed my target.
It's also crazy how you can punch a 1/2 dollar size target at 40 yards and then the next day, (today), loose 2 arrows cause you can't hit a 4x4.5 square target.
Wish the arrows would have penetrated something so I could have found them:rage:

It's also crazy how you can punch a 1/2 dollar size target at 40 yards and then the next day, (today), loose 2 arrows cause you can't hit a 4x4.5 square target.
Wish the arrows would have penetrated something so I could have found them:rage:

I hate when I can’t put groups together when I’m tuning. It’s the worst. Probably comes from exhaustion in my case.

I hate when I can’t put groups together when I’m tuning. It’s the worst. Probably comes from exhaustion in my case.

That’s always the case. Just never satisfied. One more shot! If it’s what you wanted to see, let’s see that again. If it’s not what you wanted to see, got to shoot that again. It never ends! Lol

Just with my recent experience testing arrows, I'd go heavier. Me playing in the yard my heavier arrow at 570gr will out preform my 450gr at 40 yards. And I only noticed about a eight inch difference at that range. I plan on using this exact setup on the elk hunt I am planning. That's coming off of a and A&H long bow 52# at 28 inches

I think something filled with some sand would be a better test, personally. I have watched a few of Rick Barbee's penetration tests on youtube and they're always very thorough.

One thing I always struggle with when trying to choose a good penetrating arrow is balancing the need for performance AND penetration. For me, that's always around 9gpp. Granite, I do have a slightly longer draw than you.

Last edited:
Awesome, If i get a pass through I call it good penetration. LOL i never thought about it I used gold tips and didn't get pass through's for a year, I ended up going back to micro diameter arrows and have had goo luck with them.

I’ve only got one pass thru since I started hunting with trad years ago, it was a liver/gut shot. Most bury in the opposite side. Everything is a lot more critical with trad gear. Shooting about 140 FPS, you need to pay attention to details. When I shot compounds, it was about speed and big holes. Never had a problem with penetration.

Mine was 2 punches, and I hardly ever punch.....just one of those days........after 4 shots, I put up my last 2 practice arrows and said maybe no punches during my next practice.......taking a few days off of shooting.

I shoot a compound at 55 pounds 28 inch draw length no problem with penetration . lol But seriously I do have a longbow friend of mine made it for me I just have to match arrows to it and I think I would like to hunt with it I have shot longbows and recurves and the first deer I ever harvest was with a recurve years ago. The heavier the arrow the better penetration you should get.

Swampsnyper, when blue barrel season opens, you'll be all set! Lol Seriously, I don't think you will have any issues killing a bear with that setup. A 2 blade COC head in front of 682gr will get the job done. Remember, shot placement is the name of the game. Good luck on your bear hunt!

Swampsnyper, when blue barrel season opens, you'll be all set! Lol Seriously, I don't think you will have any issues killing a bear with that setup. A 2 blade COC head in front of 682gr will get the job done. Remember, shot placement is the name of the game. Good luck on your bear hunt!

That’s an old post. I killed the bear with a heart shot. Never hit a bone so I could have used a 100gr arrow! Lol

I never even thought about looking at the thread dates earlier than yesterday's. Oh, well... Congrats on your bear kill!

Back