• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back country buck (long post)

woods89

This subforum has been a mite dead for awhile!

First of all, as I have mentioned before on this site, I'm a member of a Mennonite group that doesn't use cameras. ( Before you conjure up images of horses and buggies know that I own two vehicles and sometimes post on my laptop and sometimes on my phone lol!) I won't get into all that at this point except that I won't have any pictures to prove my story. I know the rule of the net is " pics or it didn't happen" so if your a little skeptical I understand. Because of this I almost didn't post my story because I wasn't sure people would believe me. Then I got to thinking that if it were someone else's story I would want to hear it regardless so I will throw it out there.

I killed a doe 4 days after the archery season opened in sept and then had a hard time seeing very many deer for some reason. My brother and I are starting a new business so my time was also a bit more limited this year and my Oct and Nov bowhunting wasn't very productive. Our firearms season opened Nov 14 this year and basically hit the most active phase of the rut dead on. The forecast the week before opener looked good for camping so I decided I was going in overnight the evening before.

The area where I was hunting is a designated wilderness area of about 6500 acres. I scouted a few spots in it last winter and found a ridge that was just torn up with rubs. It was close to 2 miles from the trailhead so I thot " great, I'll have this to myself!"

The afternoon before opener I hiked in to the next ridge over and set up a little spike camp just as it was getting dark. I cooked my supper, crawled into my sleeping bag, and had one of the best nights sleep I've ever had in the woods. My phone alarm went off well before daylight and I ate my granola, gathered my gear, and headed for the next ridge.

I was within 100 yds of where I wanted to set up when all of a sudden I saw a climbing treestand sitting at the base of a tree. Somebody else had found the same spot I guess! No hunter was in sight and I stood there for a bit trying to decide what to do. I really didn't want some guy to come along and have to discuss who was going to hunt there so I turned and headed up the ridge aways. I wound up about 2-300 yds away in a spot that looked really good also. I had a little water hole just out of sight from me and a little cut in the ridge next to me that funneled deer traffic to the top of the ridge. I set up and settled in for the day.

The morning was uneventful except for a thousand squirrels and ( of all things!) another hunter about 11:00. I think when he saw me he was a little perplexed at this dude hanging off the tree on a rope but he headed down toward that climbing stand.( I've since found out there is a somewhat closer access point I didn't know about) at this point it's about 55 degrees and a little windy so my optimism wasn't real high. I climbed down at noon and cooked a warm lunch on my backpack stove. I almost moved to a different spot at that point but decided I had good reason to sit there and climbed back up in the tree.

At about 1:30 I suddenly saw a deer moving off to my left about 100 yds. I couldn't see antlers but seems like you know a mature buck when you see him! He was headed for the little water hole. I grabbed my grunt tube and grunted aggressively at him 3-4 times but he never stopped. Once he was out of sight I hit my grunt tube a couple more times real loud hoping he would get his drink and come investigate.

At this point I've got my rifle in hand and I'm shaking like a leaf because I know there's a good buck within 100yds of me somewhere! And sure enough, after one of the longer five minutes of my life, I see antlers coming through the tree's. I saw he had eight points and that's all I needed. He stopped about 65 yds away and was trying to see this other buck he heard.

I came so close to jerking the trigger it scares me. Just in time I got ahold of myself, took an extra couple seconds, got steady against my rope bridge, and squeezed the trigger. He turned and burned for the bottom of the hill and I ran the bolt hard. I had just closed my bolt on the next one when he did a little circle and tipped over.

At this point I had went from " today's gonna be a dud with a long hike out tonight" to " I'm gonna be packing meat tonight!" in about 10 minutes. I was a little worked up! I made myself take all my tree gear down before I went up to him. Only when I got within 20 yds of him did I realize what a cool buck he was! He has a nice symmetrical 8 pt frame with one kicker and the biggest, knarliest bases I have ever seen. One is right at 6" around and the other is 6 1/4". Inside spread is 16 5/8". I will hunt public land around here for awhile before I find another one like him!

It would not be correct to say it was all over at that point. I boned him out where he lay and had one 80-90lb load of meat, head, and rifle and one 35-40 lb load of camp stuff. I packed the meat and head back to my truck where my wife and folks met me with a hot supper which I needed by then! My brother came down to the trailhead and went back in with me for my camp. By this time I'm pretty much running on fumes! We got almost back to my camp and ran into what we are quite sure was a black bear next to the trail. We couldn't see well at all as I had lost my headlamp and all we had was a little cap light! We were both a little nervous breaking down camp but never saw him again. We hiked back out, drove home, and finally got to bed between 11 and midnight.

Some days you don't forget! I've had a year to remember as far as my hunting as I killed my best gobbler this spring on a backpack hunt not very far from where I killed this buck. ( story's posted in this subforum) I'm absolutely tickled to have gone in and killed a mature deer in a place like that.

I'm gonna euro mount this buck. The head is sitting in a tub of water with an aquarium heater as we speak. ( search cold water maceration on archerytalk to see the method I use)

I may post on some of my new gear I used here at some point but I'm kind of tired of typing right now!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Great story! If you dont mind me asking what state are you hunting? That sounds like an awesome adventure!

-Sent from d_mobile

Drek, south central Missouri. The Ozarks don't make very good farmland so that means guys like me have a lot of public land to roam around in.

Congrates on a great hunt, I enjoyed reading it. I was down in Ohio one yr and there were probably 30 guys in the campground that were menonite. We hung out by the fire with them and didn't know they were menonite. They kept bashing the Amish and we looked at each other thinking they were Amish. :lol: those boys could walk! They get driven into areas and hunt for a wk or so and then a driver picks them up and its off to a new area. They all had high tech equipment, better than ours. We enjoyed talking with them. Sorry to ramble, your post reminded me of that hunt.
Guy I work with was down in the ozarks during early November and said it was such a dry year there werent any acorns. Said they had a hard time finding deer and he is originally from that area. He said he hasn't missed a season down there for 34yrs straight. He said the turkey hunting is awesome!

Re: RE: Re: Back country buck (long post)

kenn1320 said:
Congrates on a great hunt, I enjoyed reading it. I was down in Ohio one yr and there were probably 30 guys in the campground that were menonite. We hung out by the fire with them and didn't know they were menonite. They kept bashing the Amish and we looked at each other thinking they were Amish. those boys could walk! They get driven into areas and hunt for a wk or so and then a driver picks them up and its off to a new area. They all had high tech equipment, better than ours. We enjoyed talking with them. Sorry to ramble, your post reminded me of that hunt.
Guy I work with was down in the ozarks during early November and said it was such a dry year there werent any acorns. Said they had a hard time finding deer and he is originally from that area. He said he hasn't missed a season down there for 34yrs straight. He said the turkey hunting is awesome!
Lol!

Ya the acorns didn't do very well this year. I didn't see very many deer total but I guess I got lucky a couple times!

The turkey hunting here cannot be described but has to be experienced. If I could only hunt one species( perish the thought!) it would be turkeys in the Ozarks!

I should really do a gear rundown while I'm at it here. I'm a member on Rokslide ( the western backpack hunting forum) and over there a thread like this would have to have a gear review lol! A lot of them have been really helpful for me.

Shelter: Used a Kelty Noah's tarp. First time I've used it in the backcountry. Great inexpensive shelter if you don't mind a little open air. I pitch mine in a diamond pitch with one side high against a tree and then staked down at the other three corners. Used my trekking pole under the middle for a little more height. Also used a homemade silnylon and bug netting bivy to keep my bag and pad clean.

Sleeping bag: Big Agnes Bald Mountain 20*. First use for this one too. Picked it up off STP a week before the trip because I chickened out on taking my mil surp patrol bag out for 30* temps. Was really snug at 30* but I did wear some clothes to bed.

Sleeping Pad: Klymit Static V uninsulated. I've used this pad for a while and for me it's very comfortable. Packs down small and light. Not the coolest pad out there but if your on a budget works great.

Stove: Optimus Crux with Solo pot. Used this for a while. No complaints! I use the freezer bag cooking method so I only use my pot to boil water. Lot less hassle! I also brought a plastic mug for coffee this time which meant I didn't have to let my coffee sit for 30 min and still burn my lips.

Knife: Havalon Piranta. LOVE this knife! Makes deboning a breeze. I do bring a mini multitool to change blades as I could see myself getting cut changing them by hand.

Weapon: Remington M7 260 Rem. with Bushnell Elite 3x9x40 and 125gr Nosler Partition handloads. A lot can be said for a short, light rifle on a trip like this. I've had great luck with these loads.

Saddle: New Tribe Aero Hunter Evolution. This thing is perfect for this style of hunting. I will not be going back to metal stands. End of story.

Water still is an issue for me. I carry a Sawyer Squeeze filter but when you sit all day, when do you go get water? In this case there was a little water hole close by but I really didn't want to stink up the area around it. So I wound up carrying 5l in with me (water is heavy!) and by the time I got out with my meat load I was out. Maybe I'll just have to make peace with carrying a bunch of water....

My diy pack frame left me with raw patches on my hips after the load of meat and in a moment of weakness I ordered a gen2 Kifaru duplex. Looking forward to using it next year. Should be a HUGE upgrade.

My Black Diamond aluminum trekking poles are awesome with a loaded pack! Save your ankles for sure!

Trimble gpshunt app. A really inexpensive way to have a handheld gps on a smartphone. If your carrying a smartphone anyway it saves weight over having a separate gps. Just make sure to run your phone on airplane mode. And I always carry a compass and know how to use it if my gps conks out!

Criticism or questions welcome!

Ok where are the pictures?? Ha, just kidding!!! Congrats sounds like an adventurous way to hunt :D

Thanks! I think I enjoy the camping aspect almost as much as the hunting!

Got my kifaru frame the other day. If anyone wants a really comfortable frame I can recommend it wholeheartedly! It's a huge step up!

I forgot to reply to this when I read it last week! Congrats on a great hunt! I just picked up a platypus gravityworks water filter. I haven't tried it out yet but I'm planning on a couple backcountry trips in the spring to test out all my gear and get comfortable with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-6951-2L- ... ter+filter

Thanks red! One thing about those filters (and you probably already know this) is that they cannot freeze. If its gonna freeze its got to go into your sleeping bag.

I didn't think it was gonna freeze that night so I left it in a pile of gear. I woke up to frost on the bottom of my tarp but no water frozen. So now I don't know if it froze or not!

g2outdoors said:
Pics, or it didn't happen. :)

You should really consider adding a hammock to your arsenal. Sleeping on the ground is for neanderthals.
I've done a couple back country hunts with my hammock. Here's a link to the last elk hunt I did. https://www.hammockforums&#...155-CO-gt-Gunnison-gt-Raggeds-Wilderness-Area
A hammock would work pretty good here because there's lots of trees!

I guess I'm quite comfortable sleeping on the ground and that's how my gear is set up so that's probably what I'll stick with for a while. An air pad and a warm enough mummy bag and I'm satisfied. They do look cool tho and I can imagine they would be very comfortable!

g2outdoors said:

You should really consider adding a hammock to your arsenal. Sleeping on the ground is for neanderthals.
I've done a couple back country hunts with my hammock. Here's a link to the last elk hunt I did. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/80155-CO-gt-Gunnison-gt-Raggeds-Wilderness-Area

What do you do for wind break? It appears you have an extra large roof tarp, do you adjust that based on wind direction each night, or just tough it out? Is this a 2 season set up? Ive slept numerous times on a cot in a tent with a -20 bag in November and still been cold, so Im curious about your equipment. Always looking to learn. :cool:

G2, I read your elk trip post and it looks like you have your hammock situation dialed in! Stinks that you fought the weather like that! Looked like some awesome country!

Do you just throw your gear under your hammock and tarp? And what does your system weigh all told?

I'll have to admit that I'm enjoying the tarp and bivy thing right now though!

Used my new kifaru frame to pack out a doe yesterday and I can tell you it gets my whole hearted endorsement. Very stable and comfortable. 5 stars!

g2outdoors said:

I've done a couple back country hunts with my hammock. Here's a link to the last elk hunt I did. https://www.hammockforums&#...155-CO-gt-Gunnison-gt-Raggeds-Wilderness-Area
I definitely have to read this. I am trying to gear up for a back country elk hunt myself. Bought a tenzing 5000, and a warbonnet hammock so far. Hoping for quilts this Christmas. I'm sure after I read your story I will have lots off questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back