• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back pack / back rest ideas?

mrsocks

Hello all.

I have been interested in saddle hunting for a few years, but concerned about the comfort of them. Hip pinch, back rest and the ability to stay warm enough in them. I had a web a while back and liked it, but couldn't use my warmbag with it.

I have some ideas on how to deal with the cold at this point, but now need to figure out the backrest part. I'm seeing the backband suggestions and that seems like it would be comfortable, but I am thinking that I could integrate a backrest and stick carrier into one. Husrt1 has something pretty much what I was thinking:

http://saddlehunter.com/community/i...your-sticks-or-platform-easy.4103/#post-53139

Anyone else try a pack like this and then use it as a back rest while at height?
Seems like by adding some cord from the pack to the bridge, would work pretty well.

Looking forward to trying this out this year.

Thanks.

Welcome to the site. Have you seen the thread on the new guido's web that is coming out? That might be more like what you are looking for.

Wow, that is pretty much what I was thinking of doing. I will read through the entire thing, but between the 'tuning fork' tree standoff, molle back support and the best feature I am reading so far is the cold weather cover to snap to it. One of the reasons I was hoping for a backpack style item was to hold the sticks and something to roll up a 'warmbag' style cover i could deploy when I got to height.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

I think you would be better in the long run just to have a dedicated, padded, backrest. I think it would be more comfortable than something with a hard frame in it. They weigh almost nothing. I am interested in what you called a "warm bag." What are you referring to?

Hello all.

I have been interested in saddle hunting for a few years, but concerned about the comfort of them. Hip pinch, back rest and the ability to stay warm enough in them. I had a web a while back and liked it, but couldn't use my warmbag with it.

I have some ideas on how to deal with the cold at this point, but now need to figure out the backrest part. I'm seeing the backband suggestions and that seems like it would be comfortable, but I am thinking that I could integrate a backrest and stick carrier into one. Husrt1 has something pretty much what I was thinking:

http://saddlehunter.com/community/i...your-sticks-or-platform-easy.4103/#post-53139

Anyone else try a pack like this and then use it as a back rest while at height?
Seems like by adding some cord from the pack to the bridge, would work pretty well.

Looking forward to trying this out this year.

Thanks.
Is a ‘warm bag’ like a sleeping bag, body heater suit, or iwom? I used my iwom with my kestrel and hunted 5 degrees this winter. It has slots in it you can run your bridge through. I couldn’t zip the feet shut and still move around the tree so I left the bottom unzipped. My feet did get chilly but I did an all day sit on a windy 5 degree day. Staying warm wasn’t really an issue.
Back strap on the kestrel works great if I am not set up in a fork where I can lean back on the tree. I found hip pinch if I wore the saddle high (where I would wear my pants belt) but that was eliminated by moving the saddle down so the ‘belt’ on it was between the top of my femur and my hip bane. Wear your saddle low when you are in the tree.

Yes, the warmbag is like a sleeping bag. They no longer make them, but I really like it. I had an iwom this past year and felt it was too bulky and cumbersome to get on. I use a climber and it was not easy to get on in stand as well as try to get the tree teather through the hole in the back when i got up there. You had to disconnect (which i didnt do, but had to bring an extra piece of rope with loop at each end and another carabener to get it through there and still be connected. There were a number of other things I didnt like, but that's getting off track) Anyway, I have been resistant to the saddle due to not being able to use the warmbag, but I think if i can make something similar and carry it on my back and unroll and wrap it around me, I will be all set. Which is one of the three reasons I am thinking of trying the backpack idea.

But all this is a non-issue if Guido's Wed 2.0 comes out. Seems to have everything I wanted. I will add stick talon type things to it so I can climb and pull the stick off as I go. But aside from that. Seems like it would eliminate hip pinch, lack of back support and carrying the sticks as well.

I hope the safety harness either is something you step into as you put it on, or the straps are quick clasp buckles. I dont remember the orginal web, but I think those had straps you threaded through a piece.

Back