• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpack suggestions....

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Looking to invest in a pack for weekend backpacking trips and some upcoming hunting trips I am in the process of planning. I am really looking hard at the KUIU Icon Pro in either the 3000 size or 5200. I might even get the 3000 to start and add the bigger bag later. Anyone use this pack or have any suggestions on others? I'd really like to stay under $500 and the KUIU looked good for the price. This type of hunting is new to me so I'll take any suggestions I can get! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat looking for a pack, the Seek Outside revolution is about the same price, and gets great reviews. People say they haul loads better, especially with the ability to bring along frame stay extensions. All subjective of course.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Looking to invest in a pack for weekend backpacking trips and some upcoming hunting trips I am in the process of planning. I am really looking hard at the KUIU Icon Pro in either the 3000 size or 5200. I might even get the 3000 to start and add the bigger bag later. Anyone use this pack or have any suggestions on others? I'd really like to stay under $500 and the KUIU looked good for the price. This type of hunting is new to me so I'll take any suggestions I can get! Lol

I was lookin at that kuiu pack myself. Really would like to find a good framed pack. I have too much untapped family out in Montana and Wyoming that tell me to come hunt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I was lookin at that kuiu pack myself. Really would like to find a good framed pack. I have too much untapped family out in Montana and Wyoming that tell me to come hunt!

I'm your best friend...remember? I'm sure your family out there would love me!! Hahaha

I'm in the same boat looking for a pack, the Seek Outside revolution is about the same price, and gets great reviews. People say they haul loads better, especially with the ability to bring along frame stay extensions. All subjective of course.

Gonna check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Rokslide.com

Yep I've been keeping an eye out. I really just started looking. Might be able to get something on there and save some cash!

Yep I've been keeping an eye out. I really just started looking. Might be able to get something on there and save some cash!

The guys on that forum buy and sell their packs like they are trading baseball cards. Definitely some deals to be had if you don't mind slightly used. That's where I was going to go for my next pack. I'm already thinking about Tenzing 6000 I have. If you want to go really cheap my cousin used a Teton ultralight frame pack last weekend and honestly I was a little jealous of it. It seemed really well-made and was very roomy. He got it for $150 off of Amazon.

I'm your best friend...remember? I'm sure your family out there would love me!! Hahaha

I mean im gonna need someone to go along on the 20hr drive so i dont have to stop lol my aunt is in Cheyenne, Wy my uncle is in Butte, Mt.. we could do pronghorn hunt really cheap.. i need to ask if theres access to private land or if its blm that affects the tags u select

I mean im gonna need someone to go along on the 20hr drive so i dont have to stop lol my aunt is in Cheyenne, Wy my uncle is in Butte, Mt.. we could do pronghorn hunt really cheap.. i need to ask if theres access to private land or if its blm that affects the tags u select

I have 7 pref points for WY mule deer and will be putting in for tags next spring. Not sure what unit yet tho need to research some more.

I am REALLY liking the looks of those packs! I also like the fact they are made in the US as well and the bags don't need a rain cover. I may go with one of those.

I am REALLY liking the looks of those packs! I also like the fact they are made in the US as well and the bags don't need a rain cover. I may go with one of those.
I emailed them today, they said they were redesigning a bunch of their bags. So you may want to wait for newer and better?

I emailed them today, they said they were redesigning a bunch of their bags. So you may want to wait for newer and better?

Dang. Did they happen to say when they were coming out? I'm really wanting to get a pack soon and start using it lol.

Dang. Did they happen to say when they were coming out? I'm really wanting to get a pack soon and start using it lol.

Sadly no, you can't even buy the precipice from them right now, only at JD High Country Outfitters in Jackson Hole. They said "We're pushing to refresh the pack line before hunting season this year."

I have a Tenzing daypack. If their large packs are that good, I'd be happy with that. They seem well designed and the price is right.

I'm a fan of Kuiu clothes...I'm guessing the packs are great but that stuff is expensive. I had a Sitka pack. It was very nice but too big for a daypack and too small for full on camping pack. I sold it and got the Tenzing

I am using the Kuiu ultra 3000 for the 3rd season. I added a Zpacks dry bag to the top (580 cu inch) for my hammock quilts. At 3580 cu inches, a 3 to 5 day archery hunt fits snug. Works well for a weight weenie like me.
My partner uses a ultra 6000. Once camp is set up he changes bags to an ultra 1800 day pack.
The Icon pro 5200 would be a good choice.
Hope this helps.

OH I LIKE @Mr Mom - Zpacks and hammocks. We're going to get along just fine.

@flinginairos - get the lightest pack you can - ounces add up fast. Those seek outside packs are looking pretty sweet. The Kuiu carbon frame is pretty legit as well.

When I was hunting the back country, I did it with a frame/strap setup. To save weight I went without a bag. It worked really well for me.

If it were me, I'd get the Kuiu Frame & Pack Hauler for $200 then I'd pair it with ultralight stuff sacks and dry bags to keep my gear organized. You'll save a lot of weight while adding versatility.

OH I LIKE @Mr Mom - Zpacks and hammocks. We're going to get along just fine.

@flinginairos - get the lightest pack you can - ounces add up fast. Those seek outside packs are looking pretty sweet. The Kuiu carbon frame is pretty legit as well.

When I was hunting the back country, I did it with a frame/strap setup. To save weight I went without a bag. It worked really well for me.

If it were me, I'd get the Kuiu Frame & Pack Hauler for $200 then I'd pair it with ultralight stuff sacks and dry bags to keep my gear organized. You'll save a lot of weight while adding versatility.

You are full of great ideas @g2outdoors! There are definitely some options out there. I did end up ordering one of the Crua hybrid tent/hammocks to try. Pretty sure I can pack it differently than the way it comes and save a lot of room. I really liked that it can be used either way and has everything rolled into one purchase. If it doesn't work out I'll simply send it back I got it for $269 shipped so I figured it was worth a shot. I will post a full review on it when it shows up!

Back