• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpacks for getting in deep

elk yinzer

SH Member
Curious what you guys that go in deep are using to transport everything. The #1 reason I am trying saddle hunting is to be able to streamline my setup. I want everything to fit into the sleekest backpack possible. The big draw over a treestand is that I can cut that bulk and be able to get through brush more easily.

What really differentiates me from what I gather most other guys are running here is that I also want the option to take in gamebags, quarter a deer, and bring everything out in one trip (or more likely cache my gear and pack the deer out). So that leads me to external frame packs, which I am very comfortable with from my elk hunting experiences.

I will need to carry:

3 modified helium sticks
Platform (building a cutdown LW Assault)
Clothes (I walk in with baselayers and dress at the tree)
Saddle, LB, tether
Water and food for long sits
Misc gear - bow hook, knives, rangefinder, grunt tube

I pretty much know what I am going to use this year. My elk hunting pack is a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with a Metcalf bag. I'd love to cut a few pounds with some of the newer frames out there. Really like the looks of Stone Glacier and Seek Outside frames, but I've spent too much $ already this offseason so I am going to see what I can do with what I got.

I need to play around with the Metcalf and see if it is going to work, or if I need to look at more of a load sling/dry bag type arrangement and just strap my sticks and platform right onto the pack frame.

Another issue is scent...now I am not a scent control guy and never will be, but my pack frame smells like hockey pads from sweating in it a lot. I am not going to go nuts, but I do plan to take it up the tree with me so I need to find a washing method that cuts the stank down to a tolerable level.

Like I said, just brainstorming this and throwing this out there to see if there is anyone out there with similar setups and what has worked for you?

I have a Kifaru pack setup now and wouldn't hesitate to throw everything on it with plans to haul the meat out. I actually did that on my last hunt this year and it worked perfect. I'm sure your current setup would be just fine once you figure out how to pack it neatly plus it would save you money. The Kifaru is super nice but EXPENSIVE! I bought all my stuff used after selling my KUIU pack setup so the cost wasn't too bad. I got the pack for a mule deer trip coming up but may use it for some public hunts if I need to go deep and quarter an animal out.

I just went through this EXACT SCENARIO.

After looking at 1000 packs, I ended up going with the Horn Hunter Main Beam. I used it for a week long DIY hunt in Illinois and it performed flawlessly.

It's fairly lightweight, but the wing and strap system is amazing. I carried 3 Muddy sticks, saddle, platform, all accessories, clothes to get me down in the 20s + full camera gear.

I honestly can't imagine another Whitetail pack being any better. I'm sure there are others that would work as well, but I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I have an old Dwight Shuh flexible pack that I use if I am carrying in waders, and extra gear. it is just easier to get to a p[predetermined spot and then break everything down. I bungee everything to it including my bow. I also use this with my kayak if I am going to walk and cross creeks needing waders in route to stand. What I do is select a "dressing spot" somewhere close but at least 100 yards from final tree to "dress". At this point I put my hunting boots back on, put my saddle on, get my sticks attached to daypack and walk in. I leave the pack at this point until I am done hunting.

This saddle hunting is starting to cost me. I did not have a platform, had to buy the parts, purchased a saddle, did not have a good day pack to haul all this equipment so now I ordered this Horn Hunter Main Beam. Looks like it should hold all the sticks and platform with ease.

I ran across this yesterday doing some research:
http://www.mysteryranch.com/pop-up-28-pack

Brand new pack from MR, the 7075 stays fold down for a sleek daypack, then you just pop them back up when you want to haul a heavy load. Brilliant idea.

Looks about perfect for what I want as a saddle gear hauler. Going to give it some time and see how the early adopters like it, let them iron out any kinks before I drop my dough.

In the meantime I packed all my stuff up in the Metcalf last night. Going to work just fine for a season or two. The sticks fit nicely on the load shelf. All my gear including my heaviest heavy clothes fit in the bag, it has nice compression. When I get my platform done I'll either find a way to pack it with the sticks on the load shelf, or lash it to the outside of the pack.

Brand new pack from MR, the 7075 stays fold down for a sleek daypack, then you just pop them back up when you want to haul a heavy load. Brilliant idea.

Looks about perfect for what I want as a saddle gear hauler. Going to give it some time and see how the early adopters like it, let them iron out any kinks before I drop my dough.

In the meantime I packed all my stuff up in the Metcalf last night. Going to work just fine for a season or two. The sticks fit nicely on the load shelf. All my gear including my heaviest heavy clothes fit in the bag, it has nice compression. When I get my platform done I'll either find a way to pack it with the sticks on the load shelf, or lash it to the outside of the pack.

I saw that and love the idea. My wife is wanting a new pack and I was trying to talk her into that one so I could use it as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After looking at 1000 packs,

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I do believe this quote.. It would be like G2.
It looks like a great pack. '
I have this cheapo. Note these are Canadian prices so I am sure it is cheaper on amazon.com .It works great for my purposes as a day pack but only 2800cu inches and would not pack out much meat. It does carry a lot of gear for the size and price though . Probably not for an elk hunt. It is incredible expandable including a meat section. For the price I cannot complain. It carries sticks well too or a bow.
Probably not the same quality as G2's though or size.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0062LCKO0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A1zKgh5CvDL._SL1500_.jpg

I added these to the front of the pack which are great... handy and organized.
910q6V19WzL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/ALPS-OutdoorZ...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YSC98X7P83DM0QYW9Z60

Last edited:

That is a beauty find! Thanks man

I had an Alpz Pursuit before the Main Beam. It was good, not great for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I am sure the main beam is better but the alps back works for me. You sure try a lot of stuff G2. None of us should buy anything without asking your opinion, I am glad for guys like you. I do not haul cameras and I have no desire too.
I have not packed out meat yet either. I think for a guy like me it is fine and a reasonable price.

I am sure the main beam is better but the alps back works for me. You sure try a lot of stuff G2. None of us should buy anything without asking your opinion, I am glad for guys like you. I do not haul cameras and I have no desire too.
I have not packed out meat yet either. I think for a guy like me it is fine and a reasonable price.
I really enjoy trying different gear. It's part of the fun for me.

I don't drink much, gamble, or chase women anymore. I have to spend my money on something.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are way back in there, your pack needs to be able to pack all your gear and a boned deer

I don't drink much, gamble, or chase women anymore.
Head in hands - we should probably talk.

But more to the point, up here my issue is packing in enough warm layers for my hike in. I often hike a long way, and need to avoid sweating, but need layers. I roll up my bibs and parka plus another upper layer and put in my bag - then put them on once I cool off in the stand. This has my existing bag bursting at the seams. You think that Main Beam could pack up all that gear?

I was considering a Canadian Forces '82 Pattern Rucksack which I already use the frame for on my aluminum climber (an awesome mod). Very comparable to the US Alice Pack, but better/more effective cause its Canadian. The major benefit to surplus is that it is cheap and good. Bad part is that the waterproofing they used has a strong odour which is hard to get rid of. For that reason I haven't adopted that bag and am still looking for options.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are way back in there, your pack needs to be able to pack all your gear and a boned deer
Haha, I learned the hard way this fall that this is no easy accomplishment. I only had my day gear with me, and carrying my half of this deer out darn near killed me.

Right around 5 hours from the time I shot until I hit the trailhead.

When we got out, we weighed our packs and both had over 80# each.

I carried the cape, and hind quarters while my buddy carried the rest.

Needless to say, we were exhausted when we got out. And long story short, I don't know if I could have carried the whole deer by myself inn one trip.
b0d9bab0696c72c41cc61f23c5673e7d.jpg
a368aaa155c15154571d607043d1fc1a.jpg
1391079281313fd1080d3910d4cb957f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

After looking at 1000 packs, I ended up going with the Horn Hunter Main Beam...

I bought the same pack and commented here, I think, I thought it felt cheap and you were like, "that concerns me." My HHMB performed pretty well through last season. The things I thought would fail, did not fail.

That said, my only reservation with the HHMB is it has 27 (or so) pockets that range from LRG to SM and it's easy to forget where you stowed something. I prefer a pack with 10 (or so) pockets (I like to throw all climbing/safety/terminal gear in one pocket).

The HHMB worked well for me up through cold hunting weather when tons of clothes/IWOM were necessary.

I bought the same pack and commented here, I think, I thought it felt cheap and you were like, "that concerns me." My HHMB performed pretty well through last season. The things I thought would fail, did not fail.

That said, my only reservation with the HHMB is it has 27 (or so) pockets that range from LRG to SM and it's easy to forget where you stowed something. I prefer a pack with 10 (or so) pockets (I like to throw all climbing/safety/terminal gear in one pocket).

The HHMB worked well for me up through cold hunting weather when tons of clothes/IWOM were necessary.
I don't use the pack for warm Temps. I use a smaller pack. The MB really shines when you have to pack in a lot of clothing and bulky items.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back