• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Base Layers

justsomedude

I just ordered a pair of Fleece bottoms to try out in late season...I'm gearing up.

Get to Goodwill!

I have some Minus 33 Tops and Bottoms and IceBreaker sock liners.
But if you hit the thrift store men's section, there is almost always a bunch of Merino wool.
You can find tight fitted mostly long sleeve italian pullover shirts and then varying weights of sweaters.

I just picked up 3 top layers this week for $2 each. One is a shirt, then a light sweater and then a heavy sweater. They are roughy like Minus 33 Light, Mid and Expedition weight.

They are usually black but I just bought a few that were bright colors and I threw them in some Brown dye...ready to go. I like them dark in case I take off layers and they are exposed.

Base layers is something I need to work on. Im a cotton t-shirt guy and know thats killing my spirit after a long walk to the tree.

As hot as it gets down here, I really think I am going to have to go with silver anti-microbial base layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In TN it is generally very humid and damp. I always tend to sweat lightly so I have to be really careful not to overheat on the way in.
Merino wool top is a great outer layer for hiking. Wicks sweat and dries very quickly.

When I start layering up, my first base layer is some first lite merino wool, which is awesome. Next layer is some cabelas mid weight polar tech fleece.

I am a fan of polyester for base layers. Great wicking properties. I have some merino wool but have found it to be better for warmer temps (core4element lightweight 180gram) in that it keeps the chill off in the morning and cools me off when the sun gets high.

I have varying weights of baselayers: scentlok baselayers in lightweight and midweight, a set of sitka mid-weight fleece base layers, a ridiculously warm set of hollow-core arctic weight base layers from Bass Pro, and just ordered some carhartt force super cold weather base layers (95% poly).

For the coldest conditions I have doubled up on the baselayers, thrown a midweight/windproof fleece layer over that, then my outer/shell layer for max. warmth. For milder temps I have done single heavy weight baselayer, maybe a fleece top/vest, and my shell layer. If over 60F I try to wear a wicking layer as it will help cool you down faster than without. Wicking layer transports moisture away from the skin, moisture is thermally conductive, applies to cold weather hunting as well.

The Baselayer thing is a dance....I have UA ColdGear also and have doubled that with Merino on really cold days. But it's hard to qualify how and why you feel better or worse some days

The Baselayer thing is a dance....I have UA ColdGear also and have doubled that with Merino on really cold days. But it's hard to qualify how and why you feel better or worse some days

At some point I think too many/too heavy of a base layer has diminishing returns. It's kind of like insulation in your house: The percentage gains are huge initially versus not having any, but after that it's only incremental.

I like to wear a mid-layer with more loft on those really cold days (cabelas berber fleece) as garments with bulkier insulation/higher loft will trap more warm air closer to the body.

Also sweating too much (being wet) and wind chill can quickly make a hunt uncomfortable.

Yep.

I think my main problem is that I have never had good windbreak layers. Just piled on more insulation. I would be toasty for a while and eventually the wind would get through. Usually at about 2 hrs.
I am getting a pair of Cabela's Wooltimate WIndshear pants and a Blauer V Neck with a Gore liner.

Merino mid (260) or heavy weight (330) with fleece carbon scent elimination outer (with wind block). On cold days I'll add a wool sweater and wool scarf. I use wool because of its warming properties even when wet.
Early season I have a mixed silver and carbon base layer from scent blocker that is a jersey material. I can't comment on it because I've worn it once so far.

Merino wool all the way. I have some synthetics but they just aren't the same. The real test was a Colorado elk hunt..... synthetics would stink after a day of wear but no noticeable odor from wool. I've switched almost everything including socks and couldn't be happier.

Lots of good deals on Sierra Trading Post or Steep-n-Cheap.

That LL Bean for $50 looks like a good deal.

For socks, my new favorite is "Darn Tough". I have a few different weights. Their heavy hunting sock is NICE.... and has a warranty

I got a pair of the readhead heavy weight wool socks for christmas a couple years back and I think they're amazing. Then my duck hunter buddy tells me they have a lifetime warranty. AMAZING! ;)

I got a pair of the readhead heavy weight wool socks for christmas a couple years back and I think they're amazing. Then my duck hunter buddy tells me they have a lifetime warranty. AMAZING! ;)

I find them difficult to use if you have to walk in any distance. They're so warm they my feet are normally super sweaty.

+1 for darn tough socks!!!

With rubber boots especially, I will carry my thick socks and put them on after I get in the woods. My feet always sweat...an extra pair of socks is in my pack on cold days
I use to do this when my hike to my stand was 3.5 miles. I have been contemplating getting a pair and tool dipping them for spot n stalk.

Back