• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Basic how-to of traditional archery video: The Push

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
This video has pushed me over the edge to commit to hunting with my recurve next year(hence the name for the video). The video explains the type of bows, arrows, and shooting styles. It's just over 2 hours long but it's filled with great info. The biggest thing I picked up is the aiming technique, it's a mix between string walking and gapping. I've always tried to shoot instinctive and was frustrated with flyers to the point I was sure that I'd never have the time to practice enough to to hunt. Within minutes of trying the string walking/3 point anchor I was grouping 3 inches at 20 yrds and my flyers were 6 inches instead of 1-2ft. I have no doubt I'll be killing with my recurve next year. He starts to talk about the aiming method at the 39 minute mark and goes for about an hour. Definitely recommend the whole thing, but the basics are you set your 2 nock points for the arrow, then string walking to where your shooting dead on with the arrow tip at 25 yrds and set a marker nock point that you will always set up on. Then you gap shoot from there.

I'll have to check it out when I get a chance. I brought my dad's old bear recurve home and picked up a new string to put on it. Just gauging my interest. I really don't need another hobby LOL.

Justin, you need to make plans to come to Berrien Springs on Fathers Day weekend for the Compton Traditional Rendezvous.It's one of the best Traditional Shoots in the USA. The folks there are the finest you will ever meet. You can get lots of help with everything you need to make the switch to traditional gear. I've been to every one of them and don't intend to miss any in the future. My daughter and I spend the weekend camping there. Below are the back covers of a couple of Compton Traditional Bowhunters Magazines where My daughter was pictured. She's now 20 years old but still looks forward to the weekend every year.

scan0001_%28Medium%29~0.jpg

scan0003_%28Medium%29~0.jpg

Check it out next summer!!

Rick

That is the video that pushed me over the edge as well. I bet my wife wished I had never watched it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tooke from shooting like crap to feeling confident enough to hunt with long bow all the time

Welcome aboard, just do it! Once you go trad you'll not want to hunt another way :)

I second what ricky racer said.. anyone who is getting their feet wet within traditional archery needs to make a trip to the CTB Rendezvous. The people make the event. The board members emphasize servant leadership, getting the kids involved, and making sure everyone feels welcome.

While the actual venue is not quite as breathtaking as the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous in the PA wilds, camping with a few thousand of your best friends along the banks of the St. Joseph's River is pretty dang awesome. Over 50 vendors make the shoot, there are great speakers each evening and during daytime seminars as well. If you are not familiar with the likes of Barry Wensel (a whitetail hunter like none you've ever seen before), Mike Mitten, Monty Browning (the best storyteller you will ever listen to - and a legendary hunter whose accomplishments and travels as a working class man rival anything folks like Jim Shockey could do with a rifle). There is a blanket trade, and excellent raffle and auction opportunities.

Each year, Compton does a Dream Raffle - where they bring together a huge package of gear. Book of 6 tickets was $25 for a chance at winning a whitetail package, which included: a five-day Pike Co. Illinois whitetail hunt hosted by one of our board members with plenty of prime habitat, a custom Black Widow bow built to winner's specs, a Kifaru Eastern Ruck pack, $500 Amazon gift card, Lone Wolf treestand, Compton logo engraved Selway bow quiver, half a dozen Bone broadheads, Rhino Products strung bow case, a dozen custom built Wudaraz (wood arrows) by Chad Graham, and a CTB logo armguard. Something like $3,000+ worth in prizes. Lucky gentleman from Wisconsin was the winner this year. Can't wait to see what next year's package will be.

Auction stuff all went directly back into the youth program, and a custom built Bear Kodiak recurve was auctioned off for $1,600, and all of the board members and others pooled that money together to present our late VP, Dave Hewitt's son with this one of a kind Bear as well as a Selway replica of the old Bear spring arm quivers. Events like this renew faith in humanity.

This year was the 20th anniversary, there was live music, the yearly Friday evening free spaghetti dinner (served to the guests by the board members themselves), kids prizes and shoot, ladies skillet toss competition, aerial target shooting, and hours of gleaning traditional archery and bowhunting knowledge from men and women who have lived and breathed it their whole lives.

We had visitors from the UK, Alaska, Oregon, Canada, Vermont, Montana, Idaho, and virtually every other state in the midwest and many in the east/southeast.

Matt and Tim of The Push were at our biannual Big Game Classic in Pittsburgh in 2018. They have podcasted with Monty Browning and Barry Wensel, which are definitely good listens. They are doing some good things as far as getting more folks involved to take the plunge. Just as guys like Aron Snyder are doing as well. Everyone is willing to help no matter where you look. The traditional community is second to none.

That video was huge for me when I got into trad archery. After watching, I switched to a fixed crawl and my accuracy/consistency improved immediately. Their podcast is great too. Tom Clum sr and Joel Turner are regular guests and offer great coaching and advice. I highly recommend checking out all content from the guys at The Push if you're into (or considering getting into) trad archery.

That is the video that pushed me over the edge as well. I bet my wife wished I had never watched it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Same here. The fixed crawl was a huge help. Shooting Trad adds a new level of excitement. No looking back!

It's good to see young hunters into traditional archery Lots of respect. I loved watching fred bear. I am not a big fan of cross bows

Back