Bear Hunting without Bait

Discussion in 'Hunting for other game' started by ADKMtnTrapper, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ADKMtnTrapper

ADKMtnTrapper Member

New York doesn't allow hunting over bait and I would really like to shoot a bear. Other then hunting over bear sign does anyone have any other recommendations?

At the moment I am thinking of laying out scents and using the wind to my advantage but other then that I am at a loss.

2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Administrator
    Staff Member

I have a few spots that bears tend to travel through pretty often, but even then it might be 50 yards here, 50 yards there. Besides some sign, I really only know they come through there often from observations.

I was reading something about NY bear hunting recently and they talked about focusing on the beechnuts, that's where you'll find the bears.

3. ricky racer

ricky racer Active Member

Varmint calls might be an option. The use of scents in conjunction with, preferably an electronic call that can be placed near the scent might get you some action. Bear will respond to calls but I don't know how well....

4. ADKMtnTrapper

ADKMtnTrapper Member

Yeah ive heard that about beech nuts. Ive found where they have trashed beech tree tops. You just have to have a good beech nut crop lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk