• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bear Hunting

Saddle9

I have a bear hunt scheduled this August with Northern Wilderness Bear Outfitters in Ontario Canada. My brother and buddy hunted with them last year both had really good success. I have harvested a bear here in Northern MI several years ago, I used a tree stand set up. During that hunt I had a nice size bear walk me out of the swamp, from the bottom of my stand all the way to my vehicle. This time around I plan on sitting on the ground with in 12 ish yards of the bait, face to face with my bow. I want the excitement of chase being up close and personal.

I am taking my saddle and platform also my ground blind for rain. I will not use either unless absolutely needed.

Has anyone hunted bears face to face nothing between each other, other than the air and mosquitoes? I am confident I can get it done on a good size bear. Does anyone have suggestion?

2f35df14fd90881ea8dbf089c62f178e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you've got your Bear spray

I have killed one out of my saddle . I have had maybe 75 bear encounters over the past 9 years. On two of those occasions the bear started to climb my tree. They are very curious animals. They are actually drawn to trail cameras because they are so curious. Honestly if you want to be that close to them on the ground I would have your bear spray handy (or if you can, a sidearm). They are big strong unpredictable animals and it is better to be safe than sorry. If I see a bear without it seeing me, I usually just stop and watch it and let it pass. Around here most of the bears I see just stand there and look at me if they spot me.

Wow! That many! I've seen two!
One of our guys shot a 450 lb-er a couple years back. That was pretty big up close. It was a surprise for both. Lots of shooting involved. It became a panic situation.
There have been a few blacks taken up here that have topped 600. Rare. But I'd have the spray holstered and ready.

Wow! That many! I've seen two!
One of our guys shot a 450 lb-er a couple years back. That was pretty big up close. It was a surprise for both. Lots of shooting involved. It became a panic situation.
There have been a few blacks taken up here that have topped 600. Rare. But I'd have the spray holstered and ready.

In 2010 I saw 29 bears during our October bow season. That was the year they started the hunt back up and the year I got mine. I haven't seen close to that many in a year since but I usually see 5-10. There was one killed here I think 2 years ago that topped 800 pounds...

Back