• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Benefits of saddle hunting

Scott F

On 17 Nov I had the opportunity to hunt an area on MCB Quantico VA that I had been scouting fairly heavily from a distance, it contained pockets of doe. I figured that is where the bucks would be in mid-November. I was in my saddle, ready to hunt, a little more than an hour before sunrise. All was well, except for the gale-force winds and by 0930, having sat long enough to lose the feeling in my toes, I figured it was time to do something - anything - rather than sit and freeze to death in a tree surrounded by nothing but dadgum squirrels. I decided to get down and find another area to set up in to hunt later that evening.

I found a great looking oak flat located on a bench in some very hilly terrain. I was essentially in a bowel surrounded on 3 sides by high ground. It was void of any rubs or scrapes but just felt like the place that a lone buck would cruise, looking for some midday love'n. My only goal was to set up my sticks and platform, and return in a couple hours with some serious clothing reinforcements for the afternoon. While I moved from point A to point B I warmed up enough to decide that I may as well sit for as long as I could manage it. To my surprise the wind was all but non-existent on this bench and visibility was perfect. I could see any approaching deer because I set up in a big red oak tree adjacent to an elm that was holding it's leaves to provide some good cover to break up my outline. After the climb I was plenty warm enough sit for a couple hours so as soon as I tethered in and hauled my bow and pack up into the tree I pulled out a can call and flipped it over a couple times. Less than 5 total minutes from hanging in the tree I hear crunching about 25 yards to my right. Thinking squirrel again, I looked and saw a nice buck, nose to the ground, walking away from me. How the heck you can hear a deer 200 meters away one day, then miss one almost under your stand the next day is something that I may never come to understand. I go back and forth from being a 'leaner' to being a 'sitter', but one thing that I don't change is the diameter of the tree that I normally hunt out of. This tree was much bigger than I normally use, but I set up in my normal routine -- which didn't allow me enough slack to rotate to shoot the dreaded saddle hunter's right-front approach of a deer (I am right handed). $h!t. I already had my bow in hand as I tried to fumble with my Ropeman to give me some slack to spin and shoot; he is now about 45 yards away and moving out! In an act of desperation I tugged on my Ropeman to drop about 8", literally swapped feet on my Stepps, and reached for the can call as I positioned for a shot. One flip of that dadgum can and he spun in his tracks and was headed back directly toward me. I slept peacefully that night knowing that the last thing on his mind was, well, good thoughts; it is very likely that he was smiling as he walked toward me. The shot was around 20 yards, he went about 50 more.

I may have been able to pull off the point A to point B move with a conventional stand, but I doubt I could have done it as quietly as I could with a saddle. That deer was obviously close when I walked to this location and set up, any metal clanking would have certainly pushed him away.

On 17 Nov I had the opportunity to hunt an area on MCB Quantico VA that I had been scouting fairly heavily from a distance, it contained pockets of doe. I figured that is where the bucks would be in mid-November. I was in my saddle, ready to hunt, a little more than an hour before sunrise. All was well, except for the gale-force winds and by 0930, having sat long enough to lose the feeling in my toes, I figured it was time to do something - anything - rather than sit and freeze to death in a tree surrounded by nothing but dadgum squirrels. I decided to get down and find another area to set up in to hunt later that evening.

I found a great looking oak flat located on a bench in some very hilly terrain. I was essentially in a bowel surrounded on 3 sides by high ground. It was void of any rubs or scrapes but just felt like the place that a lone buck would cruise, looking for some midday love'n. My only goal was to set up my sticks and platform, and return in a couple hours with some serious clothing reinforcements for the afternoon. While I moved from point A to point B I warmed up enough to decide that I may as well sit for as long as I could manage it. To my surprise the wind was all but non-existent on this bench and visibility was perfect. I could see any approaching deer because I set up in a big red oak tree adjacent to an elm that was holding it's leaves to provide some good cover to break up my outline. After the climb I was plenty warm enough sit for a couple hours so as soon as I tethered in and hauled my bow and pack up into the tree I pulled out a can call and flipped it over a couple times. Less than 5 total minutes from hanging in the tree I hear crunching about 25 yards to my right. Thinking squirrel again, I looked and saw a nice buck, nose to the ground, walking away from me. How the heck you can hear a deer 200 meters away one day, then miss one almost under your stand the next day is something that I may never come to understand. I go back and forth from being a 'leaner' to being a 'sitter', but one thing that I don't change is the diameter of the tree that I normally hunt out of. This tree was much bigger than I normally use, but I set up in my normal routine -- which didn't allow me enough slack to rotate to shoot the dreaded saddle hunter's right-front approach of a deer (I am right handed). $h!t. I already had my bow in hand as I tried to fumble with my Ropeman to give me some slack to spin and shoot; he is now about 45 yards away and moving out! In an act of desperation I tugged on my Ropeman to drop about 8", literally swapped feet on my Stepps, and reached for the can call as I positioned for a shot. One flip of that dadgum can and he spun in his tracks and was headed back directly toward me. I slept peacefully that night knowing that the last thing on his mind was, well, good thoughts; it is very likely that he was smiling as he walked toward me. The shot was around 20 yards, he went about 50 more.

I may have been able to pull off the point A to point B move with a conventional stand, but I doubt I could have done it as quietly as I could with a saddle. That deer was obviously close when I walked to this location and set up, any metal clanking would have certainly pushed him away.
Here is a cell phone selfie with shaking hands.
7d3540e486352e86f8e3379d32e2deb6.jpg
5f2ee060e0e38119750a20b12a295476.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Congrats and great detailed story! Smoker!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful buck and a great story, well done! I too enjoyed the benefits of the saddle and the stealth it provides a couple of times. Running late with the sun rising I made it to my intended tree and quietly but quickly got set up. While unclipping my bow from my pull rope I hear some brush rustling 40 yds ahead of me and it’s getting louder. I’m still attached to the tree with my lineman’s belt and have not tethered in yet as I spot the source of the noise. It’s the largest buck I have seen on hoof to date. I nock an arrow. He turns and heads back into the brush. I scramble for my grunt tube and let out a soft grunt over my shoulder. He turns and heads straight for me. Broadside he stops at 30 yds. I soon realize I’m not high enough as a limb from another tree is obstructing my shot. I straighten up with lineman’s belt restricting me, tippy toes on my Amerastep platform getting as high as I can. Feeling I can make the shot, I release the arrow only to watch my lighted nock fly over his back. After retrieving the arrow I range the tree I was in at 24yds. Great experience but I will be kicking myself for quite some time. 4 days later I return to the same tree (this time I’m going to get higher). I get to the top of my first stick and hear some leaves rustling. No it wasn’t him again. A yearling was 25 yds away. I didn’t want to spook it but needed to get up the tree. I finished my climb and got set up as the deer made a semi circle around me all within 40 yds and never new I was there. The benefits of the saddle and my set up have never been more evident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great write up of your hunt. I feel like I was with you in the tree. Here is hoping you kill many more Big Bucks from your new spot.

What a great write up of your hunt. I feel like I was with you in the tree. Here is hoping you kill many more Big Bucks from your new spot.
Hanks for the kind words.
FWIW, I am retiring from the Corps and moving to Tampa in Feb.
That spot will belong to someone else now.

Soon I will be looking for a new spot, once again...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Back