Best backpack or frame pack for your saddle setup?!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Dopo87, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Dopo87

Dopo87 Member

I am looking for some advice on what packs everyone is using when bowhunting... The basic backpack I am using from Field and Stream does not hold very much gear or clothing for the hikes out to stand sites. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. DaveT1963

DaveT1963 Well-Known Member

I don't use a true back pack or frame pack (I use a Kathy Kelly fleece daypack), but if I did I would DIY something out of my old Dwight Shuh pack frame - no metal and plenty of attachment point. not sure if they are even available anymore?

#2 DaveT1963, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  3. g2outdoors

g2outdoors Well-Known Member

I use 2 packs.

Early season and quick trips I use the Fieldline Timberhawk Kodiak day pack.

Late season when I'm packing more clothes, or lots of gear for an out of state trip, I use the Horn Hunter Main Beam. This pack is a workhorse and handles everything I throw at it.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

4. DaveT1963

DaveT1963 Well-Known Member

5. GCTerpfan

GCTerpfan Active Member

6. LooyvilleLarry

LooyvilleLarry Active Member

I actually had one of these, with the harness , attached to my Lone Wolf Assasin (pre saddle days). made it pretty nice My main backpack wore out this season ( I can see light through the bottom), so maybe I'll look to make something custom

7. Renoir1976

Renoir1976 New Member

I started out with a cabelas backpack which seems to always be on sale for about 30bucks. I know now this forum is no stranger to a speedy stitcher. I got one of these and my customization options blew wide open. Every time I was out in the field and I had a wish, I'd write it down and create the new idea. This is what I ended up with (so far). I hunt up north so packing warm gear is essential. I purposefully left the front pack open to show I added a few bells and whistles (this is actually very silent) on the inside as well.

Attached Files:

donnieballgame and Dopo87 like this.
  8. Apex7

Apex7 Active Member

I use the Powderedhorn XL from field & stream. My Kestrel fits in it nicely and it has a lot of pockets. I also use a Badlands monster fanny pack. This year I am going to try Boswell's pack from paqlite.

9. Mike Nutto

Mike Nutto New Member

Thanks for all the great info on your you tube channel , some really great tips

g2outdoors likes this.