• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best can call???

IkemanTX

I’m looking for opinions on the best doe bleat can call. Is it promos, or are there better sounding cans on the market.

I spent the last 3 years hunting without owning a single call and had a couple times I feel it would have helped pull a buck I could see into bow range. At the very least, if a buck is about to walk out of my life, it won’t hurt to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only used the primos ones but to me the best was the primos great big can to me it produced the most natural sounds but they quit making it I'm sure there some floating around out there some where.

I've only used the primos ones but to me the best was the primos great big can to me it produced the most natural sounds but they quit making it I'm sure there some floating around out there some where.

They are making it again. At least, they are available on Amazon.
Is it too loud for the 40-60 yard range? I don’t plan to cold call, but call when I see something that I think I could turn my way.

It might be too loud for that distance.... I mostly used it to try to pull deer in from about the 75-100 yard range... never killed a buck with it but I've pulled in a few that ended up not being a shooter once they came into range

I use Primos cans but I also carry Extinguisher deer call. It makes great bleats, grunts and you can ajust it for mature or younger buck or doe. Check it out.

I've been bow hunting for the last 45 years and have heard many deer vocalizations and I've never heard anything that sounds like the sounds coming from a can. I have heard a few sounds coming from my stand that sounds like whoopee cushion though....:rolleyes:

I have both Primos cans and Quaker Boy and I do like the sound of the Quaker Boy better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like Ricky above, never once have I heard a doe sound like a can. I don't use em. I WILL use a grunt call. Killed many deer Bc of that one.

I have been bow hunting since I was 12 years old I am 58 and I have called in bucks with the can. I do like my grunt calls and I also use a Wood Wise friction doe gruntcall. I've used the call for years . It really does work.Wood Wise 6 in 1 grunt call is a good call. I use more bleat call than grunt calls.Go to Wood Wise calls and check them out. The owner Jerry Petterson has some great vids on deer calling.

I ended up getting “The Messenger” grunt call and the Primos three can pack ( ‘Lil, Original, and Big ‘Ol can)

I figure I can play with them a bit and move on it I don’t like the sound of one.

The grunt tube was developed with Dr. Grant Woods from growing deer Tv. Him and his whole staff went through quite a lot of versions (hook’s custom calls makes them) and they tested them at lots of different distances against recordings of buck vocalizations. I feel like a lot of calls don’t go through that kind of detailed R&D, since a lot of tubes sound great up close but NOTHING like they are supposed to a distance.

I have called up several deer through the years with the Primos Can Call and Trophy Hardwood Grunt Call

Back