• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Cold Weather Clothing?

PJC

I'm interested in hearing what works for keeping you warm in the cold. I'm in WIsconsin and yesterday I sat in -10 degree windchill and by 9am I was shivering. I'm always sick the next day if I get that cold.
Does saddle hunting limit you at all as to what you can wear? (other than a Heater Body Suit or IWOM)
So, for all of you who hunt cold weather, what works for you? If nothing, let us know that too. If you stay home in cold weather because you haven't found a solution, let us know that too. If you have a good solution to keep feet warm, let's hear it.
I'm posting this here instead of AT (but I might post it there too) because of the unique nature of hunting from a saddle.

I suffered a cold weather injury when I was younger, which means I am at a higher risk now. So I always ensure I stay warm. I use Grabber adhesive body warmers over my kidneys and chest. I also place one on each leg. After hunting I always seal them in a zip lock baggie, cuts off oxygen and allows you a few extra uses. Also use the toe warmers. (all those tactics were learned from the Eberhart books).

I also keep my very feet dry, I powder them before I leave and never wear my boots while driving to my hunting location. i wear Tennis shoes and I usually kick them off to keep them my feet from sweating. I also will stop on my way into woods and change socks if my feet really start sweating.

I haven't used the heater body suit or IWOM but I see people have done some modification to make them more saddle friendly. I was going to try the Arctic boot insulators, but was worried about destroying them while standing on the ameristeps.

I also layer with wool. All my initial layers are family hand me down wool hunting clothing probably from the 1950s if not earlier. You just can't beat wool in my opinion. justsomedude suggested hitting the goodwill and it was a gold mine (not sure why I hadn't thought of it before..) I found stuff for my myself, wife and children, and only spent about 30 bucks.

I hunted a few times this year in some pretty cold weather (twice below -10 with windchill) and my feet only got cold once. My fault, as I was rushing because I got out of work later than usual, but the rest of me hasn't got cold in a long time.

Reactions: PJC
I saddle hunt exclusively. The best way I found to keep warm so far is my cabelas stand hunter extreme coveralls along with my LL bean pac boots (I'm sure there are other boots, this is just what I have). With the proper layering, hand warmers and adhesive body and foot warmers, I can sit in pretty cold weather in this. I've sat for 6 hours in single digits with the wind blowing. The downside is this system is pretty bulky. Everything gets harder the colder it gets.

I was going to try the Arctic boot insulators, but was worried about destroying them while standing on the ameristeps.
I have destroyed a pair, so I don't use them anymore. We probably could mod them to work though by adding a sole.

Reactions: PJC
I have destroyed a pair, so I don't use them anymore. We probably could mod them to work though by adding a sole.

I hadn't thought about adding a sole. I think I might look into that and see what I can come up with.

One thing I failed to mention was getting at least one wind proof layer. The more outer the layer the better. I usually make it my second to last layer (under my scentlok). If the cold wind pierces your clothing, youre fighting a losing battle. I use an extra large Multi cam windproof army issued jacket

There has been some talk about layering with non hunting technical clothing underneath quiet top layers. Could anyone speak up if they do this?

I have been thinking about adding a down or synthetic vest/jacket under a fleece/windproof layer for colder days. Does an outer layer muffle the sound of the nylon fabric well enough?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, I do.

I have merino base layers and merino thrift store shirts/sweaters. An insulating midlayer could be another sweater or a fitted fleece that maybe has some wind block. I have a fitted REI Fleece jacket that works well.

In warmer weather, REI Scree pants are good. And with base layers they carry you into cooler temps.

Your mid layers can't be noisy either....the top layer will rub against it.
I found a very warm cheap Free Country Soft-shell jacket that wasn't very noisy. And my fleece/base fits under it. And it is fitted. I can put on an armguard with it.

For pants, the merino base and if needed I found a cheap thick fleece base I can wear over that. And I found some cheap soft-shell Snowpants. SUPER WARM and windproof and waterproof.

I just got a Mountain Hardwear "Dome Perignon" windproof hat in Orange that I really like.

All that said....REI and the other brands they sell aren't really much cheaper than KUIU on sale.

Yes, I do.

I have merino base layers and merino thrift store shirts/sweaters. An insulating midlayer could be another sweater or a fitted fleece that maybe has some wind block. I have a fitted REI Fleece jacket that works well.

In warmer weather, REI Scree pants are good. And with base layers they carry you into cooler temps.

Your mid layers can't be noisy either....the top layer will rub against it.
I found a very warm cheap Free Country Soft-shell jacket that wasn't very noisy. And my fleece/base fits under it. And it is fitted. I can put on an armguard with it.

For pants, the merino base and if needed I found a cheap thick fleece base I can wear over that. And I found some cheap soft-shell Snowpants. SUPER WARM and windproof and waterproof.

I just got a Mountain Hardwear "Dome Perignon" windproof hat in Orange that I really like.

All that said....REI and the other brands they sell aren't really much cheaper than KUIU on sale.

KUIU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it gets really cold I switch to my lonewolf sit and climb wide and a heater body suit .Why sit at home when I can be hunting and be warm.

Gotta layer.

Next-to-skin or base layer
Arctic/summit/expedition weight poly fleece base layers. Sometimes doubled up.

Mid / insulating layers
Mid weight fleece pants, sweater, or vest over that.

Sometimes I use a compressible puffy vest for mid layer to insulate core better

Shell / outer layer
Then an insulated or heavy fleece shell layer with windblocker membrane. Sometimes insulated parka and jacket that has poly fill insulation with DWR

Hands
Liner gloves and a muff with hand warmers

Head
Knit Stocking cap or fleece beanie usually over a light or midweight poly balaclava

Boots
7mm neoprene rubber boots a whole size up from normal shoe size, heavyweight merino wool socks. I never wear leather or synthetic breathable boots as I almost always have to cross standing water of some depth at my properties.

A few strategic hand and grabber warmers can make all the difference too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saddle hunt exclusively. The best way I found to keep warm so far is my cabelas stand hunter extreme coveralls along with my LL bean pac boots (I'm sure there are other boots, this is just what I have). With the proper layering, hand warmers and adhesive body and foot warmers, I can sit in pretty cold weather in this. I've sat for 6 hours in single digits with the wind blowing. The downside is this system is pretty bulky. Everything gets harder the colder it gets.

I can second the stand hunter extreme coveralls. Toasty warm even in single digits with just a merino wool base layer..

For lighter less bulky set up I have messed around with putting a down coat liner on over wool base layer, then underarmor over it to compress it a little.. it's super light, and very warm... I have fleece lined scent lock pants I wear over merino wool base layers that I wear with that..

I love late season cold hunts. I've been trying all types of brands and layering. For me, under armor cold weather base layers are great. I just got the infrared (I think that's what they call it) and it worked wonderful along with great head gear. Like full hoods and a hat with gaiter type setup.

Back