• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best double step stick?

Gettin Closer

I am looking for a set of climbing sticks that have the double steps (a step on each side / not staggered as they go up). I have the Stepp Ladder system but my wife does not like them. She is toying with the idea of leaving the tent blind and I need your help. I know there are some awesome mods where people have been cutting the sticks down and increasing the distance between steps. Again, this would be for my wife with shorter legs looking for good system out of the box.

I like what I see with the helium sticks as the steps are not spikes. (If she were to slip, they would not impair her.) Is there another system out there I should consider. Looking for simple, light and packable. (Not sure the best way to carry sticks as I use the Stepp system.)

Thanks for your help!

I like the design of the muddy pro's but the ones I bought were junk, very poor QC. I think the heliums are your best bet, but you should buy lone wolf versa buttons and lone wolf straps and they will work much better. With her shorter steps I don't think you need to cut the sticks down either.

I have modified helium's - rope modification and muddy pros. I like them both and use them both.
My muddy's seem to be well made but I had to tighten every bolt when I got them.
The helium's were all tight and sound to begin with.
Muddy's are slightly faster to attach and they are shorter are less bulky to carry
The Muddy s need an extra aider step to get the same height per stick
Muddy's sticks do not need a rope modification.

Both sticks over all seem about equal with different advantages. They are about equal in weight - I think - The muddy's are more compact easier to attach but are shorter and need an extra aider step to be equal. I like a stick to cover 7 feet per stick so I add aiders to both. IMO

If you do not like more than one aider step get the heliums. If you do not like modifications get the muddy

Last edited:
Sounds like the helium are the way to go. I really like how they match together and stack securely. For her, I want to avoid having the aider on the bottom so I am leaning towards the helium.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I like the muddy pro sticks. Plus they already have ropes and the cam locking cleat. If your thinking of doing a rope mod on a set of stick, the muddy are already done.

I like the muddy pro sticks. Plus they already have ropes and the cam locking cleat. If your thinking of doing a rope mod on a set of stick, the muddy are already done.
^^^^^ this. And then I put a 5 step aider on each one. I have really short legs, and that works for me. On most hunts I can get away with just using 2, but if I use 3, I'm way up there. I actually have 4 total but never use the 4th one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

^^^^^ this. And then I put a 5 step aider on each one. I have really short legs, and that works for me. On most hunts I can get away with just using 2, but if I use 3, I'm way up there. I actually have 4 total but never use the 4th one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I usually do the same thing as Ernie

Do you guys find that the aiders are tough to use on trees that are not straight?

Some do, some do not.
Put me in the do not column.
When you are standing on the top of the first stick use your hand to pull the aider away from the tree and put your foot in the stirup as far as comfortable. Easy climbing from there to the top of the next stick, repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone ever use the Buck Steps? I just saw them. Not sure I like the hookup for the strap but it is not terrible. Seems in the ballpark for weight but I could not find the distance between step. It looks like it is about 20" but not possitive.

Back