• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beware super cheap products on EBay or Amazon

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Hey Guys,

I was listening to a NockOn podcast today and John Dudely was explaining how inferior knock offs get on EBay or Amazon for sale.

According to the story companies like Rage or Lone Wolf will contract with a new vendor or company and if the product doesn't meet their specs they'll send them back.

The stuff is supposed to be destroyed but ends up being sold on EBay or Amazon for a fraction of the price but without any disclaimers or warnings and under the label of the company that refused them!

So buyer beware on those super duper deals, it may not be a deal at all!

Roger,

Let me chime in on this. I was curious and actually bought some Rage knock-offs on eBay.

I promise you this: I could set the originals and knock-offs side by side, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I'm not making an ethical statement on the economics, or the impact to American companies, of Chinese manufacturing. Your experience may vary.

G2 according to what John Dudley said the hardness of the ferrule was not correct and that could lead to the head breaking or malfunctioning on impact.

What concerned me more was the mention of the Lone Wolf platforms that were sent back and then ended up back on the market again.

These items are being sold to consumers and they are unaware of the circumstances and they think they are getting the same product but it's not.

It's one thing to buy a name brand product based on it's reputation but when the product is not up to the manufacturers specs that is hazardous to the consumer.

Roger,

yeah, I completely agree with you.

Again - I'm not a fan of buying knock offs from China. I tried it once, but it's not something I support.

If someone is buying life support items, like a treestand, that's a bit extreme and too risky for me.

I can't imagine the Rage head ferrules would be so weak the soft tissue from a deer's vitals could break it. Maybe a shoulder or rib bone?

yeah, I completely agree with you.

Again - I'm not a fan of buying knock offs from China. I tried it once, but it's not something I support.

If someone is buying life support items, like a treestand, that's a bit extreme and too risky for me.

I can't imagine the Rage head ferrules would be so weak the soft tissue from a deer's vitals could break it. Maybe a shoulder or rib bone?

G2 I'm not sure of the circumstances but there must have been some issues, probably exactly what you suggested hitting bone and not holding together, and people were complaining about it. I'd have to agree with you that purchasing a knock-off broadhead would have very little consequences compared to life support equipment. That is why I posted it, I know a lot of guys here enjoy making and modifying their own equipment. I would hate to see someone injured because they bought what they thought was a safe product but in reality was a substandard product.

Roger,

There's a lot of bs knock offs on E-Bay. VPA 3 blade, and Strickland Helix all have Chinese rip-offs on the good ol e-bay. I wouldn't trust them. My 2 cents. American Deer deserve American steel.

G2 according to what John Dudley said the hardness of the ferrule was not correct and that could lead to the head breaking or malfunctioning on impact.

What concerned me more was the mention of the Lone Wolf platforms that were sent back and then ended up back on the market again.

These items are being sold to consumers and they are unaware of the circumstances and they think they are getting the same product but it's not.

It's one thing to buy a name brand product based on it's reputation but when the product is not up to the manufacturers specs that is hazardous to the consumer.

Roger,

This happened somewhere around 2010 -2011 with Lone Wolf. Lone wolf moved their casting to China, yet didn't lower the price point at all. The market completely freaked out and the quality of the Chinese products were far below the Line Wolf quality that everyone knows them for. They stayed in china for two seasons (I think, could be wrong), and then brought the manufacturing back to the USA. Quality went back to what everyone knows Lone Wolf to be. XOP was started by Andre and his son, and they bought up all the Chinese casted stand platforms that were originally intended for Lone Wolf (some of the first XOP stands had all the Lone Wolf branding in the platform). Eventually the patent on cast stand platforms expired, and other companies entered the market making them.

Back