• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bivy tent or hammock?

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
So there are a lot of guys on here using hammocks for camping. It is something I never even knew of before I met you guys but it is pretty awesome. What are the pro's/cons to bivy tent/hammock and why did you choose your style?

Put me down in the hammock column. Here's why I love it:

1. Comfort - I never sleep as well on the ground as I do in a hammock. It does take some getting used to for some people, but once you get it dialed in, it's absolutely wonderful.
2. Versatility - I can hang my hammock anywhere there are trees that can support my weight (sounds kinda like what drew me to saddle hunting...). Hilly rocky ground is a no-go with any type of tent but causes no problem with my hammock. The rain fly I have can be setup in so many different ways and is way more flexible than a tent.
3. Fun - The hammock community is a small niche community just like saddle hunters and it is so much fun. Plus with all the different styles and setups it's fun to experiment. I never felt that way with my tent setup.

I don't have a ton of backpacking experience but here's my take:

Hammocks are way more comfortable than any pad I've tried, and many of the beds I've slept on. I can sleep pretty much anywhere, but have gotten better sleep in a hammock than on my thermarest pad, and its not even one of the super light thin models.

If comfort is a priority, hammocks are worth the expense and research. They are only a little more research to get a setup that suits your needs because they are not as mainstream. But I have a feeling that anyone on this forum will lean heavily towards researching any gear purchase to be sure it is tailored to their needs, so this is barely a downside.
In every thread I've read like this, the majority of replies cite comfort as the main advantage.

I've camped a number of different ways, tents, tarps, bivvy, etc, but all the reasons above are why I normally try to use a hammock now. Way more comfortable and rocks, roots and uneven ground are no longer an obstacle.

There are still times when you need to go to the ground, but I've only encountered that out West when you get above the tree line. Here in the East you can hang a hammock just about anywhere.

My hammock setup is also a lot lighter and more compact than most tent/sleeping pad & bag combos are. Way faster to setup too. I customized a bunch of stuff to make it super quick. It basically falls out of the compression sack, one strap around one tree, another around a second tree, one carabiner clip, slide some prusik knots to tighten, spread out the tarp tent, stake and done.

I made it so my fly and underquilt are pre-attached, but I designed my system to be very "modular" so I can actually quickly detach and use the underquilt as a ground pad that wraps around me and the tent/fly can be put up on it's own with small trees or trek poles.

I made it super easy because after I hike around the mountains all day, the last thing I want to do is fart around with a tent, finding a good location, etc. I just want to get my tired, aching body in my hammock.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm definetily leaning toward a hammock. What can I say, I guess there is just something fun about hanging in things?!?! :lol: :lol:

Oh, BTW you can get a hammock setup for around $50 from dutchwaregear.com. I haven't tried one yet, but the hyperD hammocks get good reviews. Pair it with a suspension system and structural ridgeline, that's a decent start up kit for not too much cash.

boone0 said:
Oh, BTW you can get a hammock setup for around $50 from dutchwaregear.com. I haven't tried one yet, but the hyperD hammocks get good reviews. Pair it with a suspension system and structural ridgeline, that's a decent start up kit for not too much cash.

Might be worth a shot if you are on a tight budget. I have heard these guys say too many good things about the warbonnet hammocks. I have bought too many bargain items in the past, only to end up replacing it with a better one in the end, so I try to jump straight to the quality stuff now.

I have two mesh hammocks that arent built for camping, i bought them to take trout fishing in warm weather in mountain streams, then my son came along. My biggest fear of being in a hammock is if the weather changed my solo tent isnt really big but I could set up in it, I guess you could do that too if you had your rain fly high enough. My big agnes is pretty comfortable, I actually take it on my bass fishing trips because the cabins we stay in have hard as rock bunk beds. Im not sure how you can classify it as lighter when you need to have thermal protection below plus the extra hardware to hang it. I think its more of a preference thing. Id sleep in one but I bought a tent...

redsquirrel said:
I have bought too many bargain items in the past, only to end up replacing it with a better one in the end, so I try to jump straight to the quality stuff now.

You and me both, thousands of dollars wasted. Selling gear at a major loss just to get it out of my storage to buy something I want. I now also factor in if I hate it how much can I get back out of it.

I prefer hammocks but I do go on the ground sometimes - when there is lots of snow for building. What I don't do are any sort of tent. I use the same tarps for ground camping and hammocking and, if the situation permits, prefer not to use any tarps at all because I like to see the stars.

On the ground with a small overhead tarp and an UL bivy bag is the lightest I get. The hammock setup is always heavier than that for me.

I went out in NE PA after the Christmas holidays because I had to get outside. It got down to 15°F but it was windless and no forecast for precipitation so I went tarpless. It was a good time out with some friends :)

017A5DBC-2D6D-4063-96A7-C792E8016481_zps7hzpmhxx.jpg

I have to add mine in here!

Here's my Warboneet Ridge Runner bridge hammock and cuben fiber tarp. Pic was taken on my back country elk hunt in the Raggeds Wilderness Area in Colorado.
20130908_164924.jpg

g2outdoors said:
I have to add mine in here!

Here's my Warboneet Ridge Runner bridge hammock and cuben fiber tarp. Pic was taken on my back country elk hunt in the Raggeds Wilderness Area in Colorado.
20130908_164924.jpg

This is the exact setup that I am looking at right now.

First, I would like to say long time reader, first time typer. I have gone hiking/camping a dozen times with my hammock and love it over the tent method. I have never used it for hunting but the only difference would be in what I pack. I use an ENO doublenest hammock with the bug net and rain tarp. It is a fantastic hammock and very lightweight and comfortable. It does take a little getting used to like others have said but once you find your comfortable spot you will sleep right through the night. Instead of using the under quilt for insulation I decided to use a bivy sack inside the hammock for cold/windy/rainy weather. I bought a military surplus bivy that is very well made, however, it is a little on the heavy side. I also purchased the sleeping bag that fits with the bivy and it fits perfectly. This system works awesome. I got to test this setup against 30 degree temps and high winds on top of a mountain on the Appalachian Trail. The bivy is wind proof so you hear the wind but don't feel it which is an awesome feeling especially when the hammock is swinging in the wind lol. I never had to close the bivy over my head for added protection and was warm all night sleeping in just a long sleeve shirt, shorts and a beanie. In warmer temps I have taken just the sleeping bag and it is comfy as could be sleeping in the hammock. Overall, I would recommend the hammock to anyone who is on the edge about getting one. Here is a pic of my setup on a recent canoeing trip.

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 466
CamoMan said:
First, I would like to say long time reader, first time typer. I have gone hiking/camping a dozen times with my hammock and love it over the tent method. I have never used it for hunting but the only difference would be in what I pack. I use an ENO doublenest hammock with the bug net and rain tarp. It is a fantastic hammock and very lightweight and comfortable. It does take a little getting used to like others have said but once you find your comfortable spot you will sleep right through the night. Instead of using the under quilt for insulation I decided to use a bivy sack inside the hammock for cold/windy/rainy weather. I bought a military surplus bivy that is very well made, however, it is a little on the heavy side. I also purchased the sleeping bag that fits with the bivy and it fits perfectly. This system works awesome. I got to test this setup against 30 degree temps and high winds on top of a mountain on the Appalachian Trail. The bivy is wind proof so you hear the wind but don't feel it which is an awesome feeling especially when the hammock is swinging in the wind lol. I never had to close the bivy over my head for added protection and was warm all night sleeping in just a long sleeve shirt, shorts and a beanie. In warmer temps I have taken just the sleeping bag and it is comfy as could be sleeping in the hammock. Overall, I would recommend the hammock to anyone who is on the edge about getting one. Here is a pic of my setup on a recent canoeing trip.

Awesome! Welcome to the site :D

Y'all are bad for the pocket book! I read this thread a couple months ago and it was the 1st time I've heard of hammock camping beside what we use to do in the woods behind the house as kids. I was quite intrigued of the idea and went straight to researching it. I have a small lease to deer hunt on with the kids and all we use is a tent. No backpacking needed. After this season and camping in a tent every weekend for months, I've had enough and said next season I'll make a lil shelter. I still have plans for the shelter but having hammocks in the inside instead of cots seemed like a great idea! I just purchased a cheap on from walmart to see if I could sleep in it. I love this thing! And since it will be used in the lil camp I think the lil cheap hammock is all we need. So I'll probably get a few more for the kids.
Then I get invited on a DIY elk hunt in Colorado for 2016. Never hunted in the mountains or much less backpacked. So then the hammock idea hit me again and I think thats the route I'll go, but wow!!!! I had no idea how expensive this could get! Good thing I have another whole year to buy a little at a time!
Any Help from you guys on what I need and whats over kill would be appreciated. SOOOOOOO many options! Also, I'm concerned about those lil rain flys for them. Are they really efficient or just made to the minimum for weight saving. Just seems like the wind would whip rain on the hammock. That would really suck!

Hey there swampsnyper glad we could help! So the necessities would be a hammock and rain fly. If bugs creep you out then a bug net is very useful as well. Now as for the rain fly. I have one from ENO that is made for my ENO doublenest hammock and I have been in it while it has rained a few times. It is clearly made to be as efficient and useful as possible. I must say that it works flawlessly and the only way I could see myself getting rained on is if it was literally coming down sideways. Mine has come with titanium spikes to keep it in the ground and they have never come out during the wind or rain. The trick to getting the most coverage as possible is to make steep angles (very narrow) with the rain fly. As I have stated in my previous post above I also use a bivy sack inside of my hammock with a sleeping bag inside the bivy. This completely makes the setup waterproof/windproof. It is wonderful to sleep like this and never once have I gotten wet. I am personally a fan of ENO hammocks, however, I am biased as these are the only hammocks I have used.

Do you know which ENO rain fly you have.? Their biggest one is called the house fly. You can fold the ends of the tarp to each other like doors. What is your suspension system like to keep water from running down the rope to the hammock? I'll be out there for over a week, so I have to be prepared for anything. I'll test and fine tune developing my style in the backyard for a while. Just don't want to make any costly mistakes.
I haven't decided on which hammock yet. They all have something I like but not actually having been camping in one makes it hard to figure how I will actually use it and what features would pertain to my style.

I have the ENO Dry Fly. I purchased the ENO onelink system originally, so it came with stakes. I believe if you purchase the rain fly separate you need to purchase stakes as well. I find that the Dry Fly provides plenty of cover. I do not believe they had the house fly when I purchased my system. I checked it out and it looks like it would make the hammock almost into a tent, which is nice if that is what you are going for. However, for a more minimalist and cheaper approach I find the Dry Fly to be just fine. Now for the suspension of the hammock I use 550 paracord and double loop it. I pre-looped all of the paracord at about 6-8 inch intervals and the total length for each cord is about ten feet. This gives me plenty of options for length and trees to set up on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4CsvbY_XU0#t=52 There is a link to a video that shows what I have done for the paracord suspension system. It is cheaper and lighter than any other suspension systems I have found and is super easy to make. Since there is all the knots in the paracord water does not have a chance to run all the way down to the hammock. Even if it did make it towards the hammock the water would hit the carabiner and would drop from there. Never had an issue with water "running" into the hammock. Let me know if you have any other questions! Hope this helps ya out

Back