• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Boat buckle overcenter buckle (OCB, boatbuckle)

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Here is a link to the buckle that a bunch of us are currently using to tighten down our strap on step platforms: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144 ... detailpage

Right now I am using an ameristep strap with the extra webbing that held the step in removed. If you have one of these straps this is the easiest route because it already has the little U hook sewn into it.

I was using a different buckle originally. It was a black buckle made for 2 inch webbing but it was much bigger than this one. It worked great and was pretty light, it was just bulky

You will see these buckles referred to as the OCB (over center buckle) or boat buckle frequently on the site. It usually refers to one of these buckles but generally refers to this style buckle.

Thanks for the pointer Red. I've had one on order since Friday. It should be here anytime now. This'll help on public land for sure.

akira7799 said:
Thanks for the pointer Red. I've had one on order since Friday. It should be here anytime now. This help on public land for me.
No problem. There has been a lot of questions about which one so I thought I would make a sticky.

Forgive my ignorance - I have several Ameristeps on individual straps with the cam buckle, no hook. After cutting the loop retaining the step to put them all on a single strap, how do I attach the "fixed" end to the OCB? I've seen some refer to straps that have a hook. I obviously don't have that. Am I looking at having to see the strap after making my own loop?

Don't have the hook like this strap...
file.php

The amazon buckle is 1" and works well with ameristep strap. You can use a 2" buckle but we always try to cut weight when we can. Red tested numerous buckles in different widths and the 1" boat buckle worked great.

As for your straps not having a hook, that's odd. Did you cut the hook off? You will want to sew one back on if you go with an ocb.

kenn1320 said:
The amazon buckle is 1" and works well with ameristep strap. You can use a 2" buckle but we always try to cut weight when we can. Red tested numerous buckles in different widths and the 1" boat buckle worked great.

As for your straps not having a hook, that's odd. Did you cut the hook off? You will want to sew one back on if you go with an ocb.

No. Bought a baker's dozen of the steps and all of the straps have the cam buckle sewn on. Just a tag end at the other end of the strap to feed through the buckle.

swampsnyper said:
I sewed one end of my strap around the boat buckle.

I'm no Betsy Ross and I'm not sure my wife has the "tools" to sew that kind of strap that I'd trust to put my weight and tension from an OCB on. What's the trick?

jtkratzer said:
swampsnyper said:

I'm no Betsy Ross and I'm not sure my wife has the "tools" to sew that kind of strap that I'd trust to put my weight and tension from an OCB on. What's the trick?

speedy stitcher.

jtkratzer said:
swampsnyper said:

Speedy stitcher sewing awl. Or you can buy a strap with a hook sewn into it already from strapworks.com.

The boat buckle is better than the original buckle I used in the video. I used that one all of last season until we found the boat buckle just prior to this season. The original one worked well, but it was 2 inch buckle and although it was light it was bulkier than the boat buckle.

IMO opinion there are 2 downsides to the boatbuckle, although they are small. It is shiny and metalic, and it has a small lever to cam the buckle down. The buckle can be covered up so that isn't a big deal. As far as cinching it, if you work at it and are patient with it, you can cinch it down tighter than any other buckle I've used.

Just ordered the buckle from Amazon. I have some straps from some aluminum strap on steps that have a hook I could use if they don't sell. I have them listed on the classifieds.

Couple questions:

Has anyone plasti-dipped the Amazon Boat Buckle?

Also, what's the best path for the webbing? I've set mine a couple of different ways and they all seem to slip a little.

Is it different under load?

akira7799 said:
Couple questions:

Has anyone plasti-dipped the Amazon Boat Buckle?

Also, what's the best path for the webbing? I've set mine a couple of different ways and they all seem to slip a little.

Is it different under load?

I used primer, seems to have worked decent. Ill just touch it up if I ever feel the need. As for the routing, it only goes one way and if you dont have it under tension, probably might feel like its slipping. It holds tight on the tree! :cool:

Has anyone found a good source for a 1.5" OCB? I'd like to get a wider strap for my steps.

Buckle arrived today threw some steps on it and strapped it to the birch three out front. Gets stupid tight...with the leverage you have on the ground. What's the trick while you're standing on a climbing stick or hanging from your climbing rope? Seems getting it rock solid would present a challenge when in an elevated position.

Back