• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bosun's Chair?

cozy23

I was searching the climbing gear section on Jet.com and came across a Black Diamond Bosun's chair. Looks like these things are used on sail boats to work at the top of the mast.

I googled it and saw a video for the Harken Bosuns chair which has a backrest sling.

It looks like something we could repurpose into the hunting world. Pretty interesting.

a5603115ff6d78c65ce1ea08fb1386d9.jpg

a4994f60504810adc3457cef8b12a63f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That top one has 3/4" plywood under the cushioning. I'm sure it would be comfortable and solve potential issues with side pressure from the straps, but I think it's only rated for about 220lbs.

If you go this way I can highly recommend a Guido's web. After sitting in autumnriders Guido web I think I would spend more time sleeping than hunting that thing is so comfortable

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

If you go this way I can highly recommend a Guido's web. After sitting in autumnriders Guido web I think I would spend more time sleeping than hunting that thing is so comfortable

Sent from my
At 20' up
It is similar to it for sure. I have used something similar to " Onehairs" for a number of years. His is a minimalist approach to the board/cushion seat that does not sacrifice comfort.

Reactions: PJC

Sent from my
At 20' up
X2 on the Guidos web. LazyBoy with a view

Sent from my
At 20' up
I love my GW but it can be awkward. There are a few tricks to make it easier to use and more convenient to pack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I love my GW but it can be awkward. There are a few tricks to make it easier to use and more convenient to pack.

What tricks do you know of to improve on the GW.

There are a few things I changed with me web. Right out of the gate I made a fixed bridge out of a tubular runner and replaced the tether with a rope tether, lineman strap and prusik knots. This was before I learned about the ropeman. I have since upgraded both.

Climbing a tree using the provided lineman belt loops sucks. Every step you take causes the seat to move forward and the whale tale to get caught up in your legs. I never use them. Instead, I use a separate lineman belt. I started with a micro spider harness, and eventually made my own. I didn't like the tree hopper and thought it was bulky and noisy. A few guys on the forum have bought these belts from me.

When climbing like this, I attach my bridge in front of me so that when I get to hunting height I don't have to struggle to find the straps on the side.

I rarely use the leg straps but if I do, I don't put them on until I'm tethered in.

The other complaint I always had about the web is that carrying gear seems like an afterthought in their design.

The pouches on the back are too small, and you can't access them when you are hunting. Also, nobody builds a backpack and puts the frame on the outside away from your back.

If you try and load up the storage area with clothing for cold weather it causes the piece of the stand against your back to bow out and makes it really awkward to carry.

For early season, I have two pouches with Alice clips that I attach to the inside of the pack on the seat side. There are some straps that run horizontally there. Then with a strap or rope around the tree at hunting height, I hang them on the tree in front of me.

When it gets colder, I made a panel that attaches to the back of the seat when folded and compresses your clothing onto the outside of the pack instead of inside. This kept the metal frame working like a pack frame should. I added molle webbing to the panel so you could add pouches to it. Then at hunting, height, you can strap the panel around the tree giving you access to all your pouches.

I have to track down a couple of pictures showing the pouches with the Alice clips inside the stand, but here are a few of the other things. Note the molle pattern you see here is green. That was my prototype. The black one is real life and I've sold a couple of those as well. They are kind of spendy though as there is a lot of labor in them and I am having them built in the U.S. I'm trying to figure out how to make them more affordable.

e8823adfe46ee98c8277c270c17c6c32.jpg
d814a2b40b21d8ec1ec6755ff3e455bc.jpg
b92eec9205ce405b2017c93688d0da87.jpg
49158e2420de74a29622fd1a176f8a68.jpg
7f0c2e49584c80c9fdc6b7173c34cdcd.jpg
a2c77253094ee54edb72f1f20d9f3764.jpg

Back