• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Release Preference

red2delta

This will be only my 2nd year bowhunting and I am seeking some advice and/or opinions on which type of bow release to use while bow hunting. I currently use a cheap Bass Pro brand wrist type trigger release but I feel as if its cheapness is causing me to throw off my shots due to the ridiculous amount of pressure to pull the trigger. I hope this topic is appropriate in general discussion.

I am looking into using a thumb release like professional archers use and have seen many bow hunting videos of people using them in their stands. I know nothing about the differences; any insight will help. Thanks

I have buddies that use thumb releases I use a tru ball release. It's a caliper type both jaws open and it's very smooth I think the trigger is adjustable but I don't remember. I usually recommend a release that don't automatically close when the trigger is not held down to new archers. You should not know the instance when you string is released. If your release is not that smooth I recommend a change. I honestly believe you get what you pay for with a release and it is one of the most important parts.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

So is it better to have one where both jaws open, or just one?

BTW your all over my posts this morning, good stuff and very helpful

I'm sorry man. My wife had surgery and I can't do anything but sit here. I'm bugging the guys on tndeer, fishhuntquest, TXbowhunter, jesseshunting.

On good releases there is not much difference. On a few of the double jaw releases there can be exesive gap between the two jaws that can cause it to pinch the string if the serving is small and this will cause a lot of string wear, or worse let a string or d-loop slip threw. The main selling point on a single release is that the gap between the jaw and the non moving side of the relase is not in line with the center of the string so there is less chance of it causing wear on the string or d-loop.
A double caliper just feels alot more crisp to me for some reason. From what I've seen, one is no more accurate than the other. It's just personal preference. The difference is that on a single caliper, only one jaw moves. While on a double caliper, both jaws move away from each other. Hope this helps. I'm sure a bow shop would allow you to shoot both before you make your purchase, so just try them out and see which one you like better.
There are literally 100's of releases try as many as you can get your hands on.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Your not bugging me

I will. I will look into the tru ball. I may also try a couple of the thumb releases depending on some other feedback i get.

X2 on TruBall. And Buckle release. My first had velcro and could make noise when drawing back. It's my backup now.
I've been considering the switch as well. There's an archery thread on here that discusses some specific ones.

I use a tru-fire fire hurricane buckle foldback (wrist strap) when hunting. They are cheap and reliable. You can buy them for $40 on ebay. I use one for practice and one exclusively for hunting.

I also have scott exxus 3-finger thumb button handheld. I am not comfortable enough shooting this release to hunt with it, but maybe someday.

I prefer pair of caliper/jaws versus a single caliper with a swivel head on the release. IMO more forgiving and helps prevent string torque.

IMO thumb/hinge/backtension handheld-style releases require a much greater commitment to shoot well and especially to get comfortable hunting with. I have owned a thumb trigger for over a year now and still don't feel I shoot anywhere near as good with it as I do my wrist strap.

I tried the tru ball and really liked it. It was so much better than my wrist triger release. Until..... I tried a Stan. I now shoot a Stan shootoff and couldn't be happier. When you pull the trigger it actually breaks like a real trigger in a gun. The tru-ball actually opens slowly as you pull the trigger.

It took me a while to find the one I liked. I bought two different releases on archery talk and sold the one I didn't like back on AT. Then bought another different one and did the same comparison over and over until I was pretty confident I had the one I wanted. Then bought a second one as a backup.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pretty much. I also have the fold-back. The Stan that Ernie mentioned is what I want to try. I'm afraid when I get the release a new bow will be coming home as well, so I'm avoiding the shop. o_O

I also bought and sold many releases on archery talk before settling on the Scott exxus. Just know a handheld is much different than a wrist style with a trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been progressing through releases...I started cheap because I am. I've used multiple cheap wrist strap releases and with a lot of practice was pretty good with them. A few years ago I bought a used Tru-Fire Hardcore wrist strap release off AT. The difference in trigger feel/control was huge IMO. And I had a noticeable improvement in my shooting.
I just picked up a TruFire Fang 3 handheld. I have wanting to give a handheld a try. It is a big change...but so far I like it. If I had to go pick up a release tomorrow, I wouldn't even look at anything below $75. Not because you can't be a really good shooter with them, but because I really like the difference in trigger I get with a little more money down.

Error in my response above...Harcore is a Tru Fire. Fang 3 is a TruBall.
It's Friday, so I'm refusing to run my brain at full speed!

I've been progressing through releases...I started cheap because I am. I've used multiple cheap wrist strap releases and with a lot of practice was pretty good with them. A few years ago I bought a used Tru-Fire Hardcore wrist strap release off AT. The difference in trigger feel/control was huge IMO. And I had a noticeable improvement in my shooting.
I just picked up a TruFire Fang 3 handheld. I have wanting to give a handheld a try. It is a big change...but so far I like it. If I had to go pick up a release tomorrow, I wouldn't even look at anything below $75. Not because you can't be a really good shooter with them, but because I really like the difference in trigger I get with a little more money down.
Good to know, Thanks Skell

Looks like i will be sticking with the wrist wrap type for now , but may so some shopping for now. Tru ball seems to be the go-to for many archers.

I tried the tru ball and really liked it. It was so much better than my wrist triger release. Until..... I tried a Stan. I now shoot a Stan shootoff and couldn't be happier. When you pull the trigger it actually breaks like a real trigger in a gun. The tru-ball actually opens slowly as you pull the trigger.

It took me a while to find the one I liked. I bought two different releases on archery talk and sold the one I didn't like back on AT. Then bought another different one and did the same comparison over and over until I was pretty confident I had the one I wanted. Then bought a second one as a backup.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stan Shootoff for me as well. I used a TruBall Short N Sweet with the open hook for YEARS and still love it to this day but the Stan is just awesome. I really like being able to clip it to the string and it's ready to go without even looking. Having zero travel on the trigger and a clean break really helps with accuracy IMO.

I am using the Scott Mongoose XT and am very happy with it. It's a single caliper wrist strap with buckle. I also considered switching to a handheld, but then I made the adjustment of shooting the Scott using back tension to initiate the release instead of squeezing the trigger with my finger. When I started asking about different releases, a staff member at my local archery shop watched me shoot my wrist release and noticed that I was holding back the string short of the wall and pressing the trigger when I saw my sight picture, but that was leading to anticipation and inconsistency (just like shooting rifles and handguns). He suggested that I relax the fingers over the trigger like a gaff hook and pull back with my back muscles until the surprise shot breaks. I've incorporated that and now I'm getting much better bow speed and less shot anticipation. It breaks very cleanly without me having to "punch" it. I'm not trying to start a discussion on form or how to shoot, but I am suggesting that a quality wrist strap can evolve with you as a shooter.

But I also agree with ImThere-- go to a specialty archery shop if there is one in your area and shoot them side by side and buy it there. They will also give you advice on how to shoot it effectively, and might even talk you out of buying something you don't really need. Any high quality wrist release will break crisply and shoot accurately. But I've wasted a lot of money buying stuff online that didn't work for me.

I use the tru ball assassin also. Buckle not the Velcro. I used Velcro for years but it's noisy and gets stuck to everything.

Back