• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Breaking Old Taught Habits

Autumnrider

February 11, Saturday 2017, I've started the process of breaking OLD TAUGHT HABITS, that has been taught by my Dad, other hunters and those so called TV pros. Eberhart's way of post season scouting and preparing stand sites really hit home while reading a couple of their books.
I prepared two stand sites located over a couple of areas with lots of buck activity (big rubs/large paws). These two areas have been torn up for many years according to the sign.
Found the best trees with plenty of cover (in the middle of a cedar and the other in a beech), placed ladder sticks and screw in steps, cut two shooting lanes that crossed most of the trails that was heading to the center of the buck sign.
I'm excited and can't wait for next season but I still have lots of prepping to do.
That's the fun part-- preparing and hoping

I've noticed that when I'm putting in the work off season, my chances and expectations go WAY up.

I've noticed that when I'm putting in the work off season, my chances and expectations go WAY up.

Oh yeah. When I go into season with a plan and trust my scouting I know I will get my chance.

Autumnrider, do you follow Dan Infalt as well? His style of hunting really fits me and combined with his aggressive tactics and Johns way of prep work and setups I feel like I'm going into this year with a HUGE jump on things. Where I hunt I pretty much have to get a buck before the rut and figuring out where they bed is critical. When the rut hits every idiot in the county is out chasing them and the pressure makes it a lot harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Infalt's system relies on knowing the exact locations of a buck's bed. Not a bedding area, but a specific bed...like the buck is laying under this exact tree. I've found this difficult to narrow down in the terrain I'm hunting. I have found some really obvious beds when I was hunting in Colorado and upstate NY, but in GA the terrain doesn't lend itself to finding exact beds a lot of times. I'm not knocking Dan - he's a stud and his methods really work - but I've found Eberhart's system a little more applicable.

Dan Infalt's system relies on knowing the exact locations of a buck's bed. Not a bedding area, but a specific bed...like the buck is laying under this exact tree. I've found this difficult to narrow down in the terrain I'm hunting. I have found some really obvious beds when I was hunting in Colorado and upstate NY, but in GA the terrain doesn't lend itself to finding exact beds a lot of times. I'm not knocking Dan - he's a stud and his methods really work - but I've found Eberhart's system a little more applicable.

Yep. Have to use what works for your area and style of hunting. I hunt hill country so finding a bucks bed isn't too hard. Definitely not a guaranteed thing but I feel it ups my odds considerably. I'd be lost in the swamps where you hunt lol.

You'd be fine in the swamps...most tactics translate really well.

Yeah I'm sure if I was tossed into it I would make it work. I'm sure you will have some luck this coming season!

Oh yeah. When I go into season with a plan and trust my scouting I know I will get my chance.

Autumnrider, do you follow Dan Infalt as well? His style of hunting really fits me and combined with his aggressive tactics and Johns way of prep work and setups I feel like I'm going into this year with a HUGE jump on things. Where I hunt I pretty much have to get a buck before the rut and figuring out where they bed is critical. When the rut hits every idiot in the county is out chasing them and the pressure makes it a lot harder.

I don't know Dan???
I do feel better and excited about next year. I do feel like I'm being more agressive to where it's almost on the edge of busting these areas..I'm feeling as if I can and will get away with this change in hunting behavior as long as I stick to my plan of when to hunt each stand and all i can do is learn as I go. I'll be rolling with my Hoyt next year and the rifle will stay at home (I think).
I'm going out in 2 weekends from (pig hunt this weekend) now to set up on some bedding areas, inside the bedding area along with outside.
Each of my sets are going to be set for different stages of the deer's life during the hunting season. Our hunting club is 2200 acres with 13 members. 90% of the hunters sit on the plots and only 4 of us really get after them. So I really don't think our deer are pressured all that much.

I'm gonna just live it and learn it . ...

I don't know Dan???
I do feel better and excited about next year. I do feel like I'm being more agressive to where it's almost on the edge of busting these areas..I'm feeling as if I can and will get away with this change in hunting behavior as long as I stick to my plan of when to hunt each stand and all i can do is learn as I go. I'll be rolling with my Hoyt next year and the rifle will stay at home (I think).
I'm going out in 2 weekends from (pig hunt this weekend) now to set up on some bedding areas, inside the bedding area along with outside.
Each of my sets are going to be set for different stages of the deer's life during the hunting season. Our hunting club is 2200 acres with 13 members. 90% of the hunters sit on the plots and only 4 of us really get after them. So I really don't think our deer are pressured all that much.

I'm gonna just live it and learn it . ...

I don't know Dan personally, but I do follow his message board "The Hunting Beast". Between that site and this one, I have been breaking very old ingrained hunting habits. Have not been able to capitalize so far but it is coming together, I'm a slow learner LOL.

Back