• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carabiner choices and weights

justsomedude

FIRST...if it makes you feel safe, use Triple Autolocking Steel carabiners for everything :)
You'll STILL have to make sure they are closed and that they are connected to the right components!
Before loading ANY carabiner/connection, test it by pulling with your hand or squatting a little to make sure the biner is set and your line is set.
Don't clip in and just lean back!

Look at your specific use and look at the advantages and disadvantages for each use. You might also be inexperienced and prefer to have all of your carabiners work exactly the same way.

I tend to have 6 to 8 carabiners. You're only talking about the difference of 8oz or so but I notice it. Look at the weight/bulk/ease of use/safety ratio. I am not going to risk my life or make everything more difficult to cut a few oz. But if something is heavier or larger, it needs to provide an advantage that I want.

Here are some that I have used
IMG_2901.JPG
TOP ROW: Petzl William Screwlock 79g/2.78oz, Black Diamond Screwlock 86g/3.04, Fusion Autolock 88g/3.10oz, Black Diamond Positron Screwlock 55g/1.94oz
BOTTOM ROW: Black Diamond Neutrino Wiregate 37g/1.30oz, Wild Country Astro 31g/1.10oz, Metolius F.S. II 27g/.92oz
There is a CAMP Nano 22 that is similar to the Mini FS but is 22g. Haven't gotten any yet.

I am very used to Screwlocks. I compulsively check them.
I like a big locker like the William on my Tether/Ropeman. The William is very thin while being even longer. The shape makes it easy to clip in big rope with gloves on.

The Positron is what I use on my Foot tether, Bridge to Saddle connection, usually my Linesman's Belt/Ropeman connection but might change. Might use it on my ATC for descent.

WIREGATES: Clip into a loop. Push the carabiner down (no load on on it) and put sideways pressure on the gate, and then move the carabiner the opposite way to make it "accidentally pop open'. I am using a Wiregate on the working end of my Linesman's belt. I clip in with the gate up and can't make it open accidentally. The low mass of Wiregates keep them from bouncing open (but we don't bounce anyway).

The Wild Country Astro is GREAT. Small and light but the shape of the top and bottom keeps devices where they need to go and makes clipping in easier. Using these on my Linesman's belt.

The FS (means "Full Strength") is what I use on my Autoblock and to quickly add a Prusik or extra sling when needed. Ultralight small carabiners are great gear hangers that can be used as a Bail Out in an emergency.

I DON'T USE ANY NON FULL STRENGTH BINERS FOR GEAR.

What are you guys using?

I have a multitude just like you. Petzl Sm'D for my twistlocks, tree spiders for my screw locks, a couple big black diamonds i'm unsure of model screw locks when I have a few different ropes or straps going through. I have 10 or so of the camp nano's. I am like you and make it a point to have load rated biners in pretty much everything within reach - for emergency. Those camps so light and compact it's worth a few extra ounces. I've got one on my keyring, my backpack hanger, in my backpack, clipped on whatever harness or sling or web or saddle i'm in (usually two). I do the same with a few slings - you never know.

Before loading ANY carabiner/connection, test it by pulling with your hand or squatting a little to make sure the biner is set and your line is set.
Don't clip in and just lean back!
Although I always double check my connections, I know always have a second connection before I trust the new connection fully. IE I am still connected to my tether while I put full weight on my lineman's belt and vice versa.

It really is amazing how far we have come from the days of hanging on the side of the tree with one arm like a monkey!

I use (2x) Metolius F.S. II, one for each side of my lineman's belt straps.
I have some Petzl wide gate biner that I was issued in the Corps for my bridge-tether link up.

I love those small wire gate biners for my lineman's belt too; funny.
I remove my lineman's belt and keep it stowed in a small pouch that I made. It rests on my right hip when not in use. It is a simple 1" web strap with a cam buckle.

Wow that's a lot of biners! I have biner envy! Lol, I only have 5 that I use right now, and only 2 kinds which helps, but I've been trying my lineman belt because I don't have a bunch of biners, would be nice to not always have it on my harness.

I really like the points made about only having load bearing biners, ofc I just got some cheap one for gear, :( sad face.

Also agree with Red, I always have 2 attachments whenever I switch. SRT to tether and then back etc, I will have to get a few more and some rated ones for gear

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can get the Wild Country Astro 5 pack shipped for $40 on Amazon. Not bad

I carry 1 for tether, 1 for foot tether climb, 1 for bridge, 2 for Linesmans belt, 2 for Rappel, 1 for backpack hang. Then a spare.

Okay, I lied.
My tether biner is an Omega but my lineman's belt is a Metolius for sure.
9ac3c54bd1476dd85a39857a0b4c0004.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Back