• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Caribeaners

deleted_user01

I was at a well known sporting goods dealer last night hunting deals on closeout camo.

Upon finding some Omega pacific double lock and screw lock aluminum caribeaners rated at a minimum of 23KN,
A sales associate told me they were not recommended for anything but holding keys or things and was pretty addiment about it; he also had his supervisor back his decision. Am I missing something ?

I did look them up and found nothing negative on climbing on them.

Well...that is a life and death piece of gear. I know that Omega Pacific had some bad press with some gear failure (not Biners) and sometimes Autolocks don't work correctly so maybe it's from that.

I don't trust autolocks and I have the habit of always checking the screw gate myself. I go with the tried and true Petzl William or Black Diamond most of the time.

If you are using a Ropeman, ATC or Piranha descender for instance, certain carabiners will tend to work better.
The Sterling ATS descender likes to work with certain carabiner shapes too.

We're talking about biner's like these right? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5NZCM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From what you are describing it sounds like they are intended for life support. They don't make biners that strong for holding keys.

Life safety biners usually come with with paper instructions stapled around them that state the proper use of that piece of equipment. The biners meant for keys often have something like "not for life safety" or a message to that extent printed or pressed into them.

We're talking about biner's like these right? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5NZCM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From what you are describing it sounds like they are intended for life support. They don't make biners that strong for holding keys.

Life safety biners usually come with with paper instructions stapled around them that state the proper use of that piece of equipment. The biners meant for keys often have something like "not for life safety" or a message to that extent printed or pressed into them.
Just like this one but not black.
Stamped on the bine was 23KN. Not any different than some of my biner's I have used scuba diving under ice.
I'm still puzzled why they insisted they were not life rated?

Attachments

• 131_image_198_1.jpg
    131_image_198_1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 32
I don't trust autolocks and I have the habit of always checking the screw gate myself. I go with the tried and true Petzl William or Black Diamond most of the time.

It's always a good idea to double check carabiners regardless of the design. With screw gates, if you forget to check then you're on your own with an unsafe device. With autolocks, if you forget to check it locks for you as a backup to your absent mindedness. I watched guys all the time forget to screw gates to consider them a safer alternative to autolocks.

Back