• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Celestron, Rechargeable Hand Warmer

ricky racer

Shortly before this season opened I found a rechargeable hand warmer for sale locally. I'd never seen such a thing but upon further investigation I found there are several manufactures who make them. I chose the Celestron, Thermocharge due to the fact that it was for sale locally and it has rubber caps on the end which I believe will make it somewhat more water resistant it happens to rain while I'm out hunting. These rechargeable hand warmers also serve as battery backups for running or charging you phone or other devices.

Yesterday morning it was supposed to be in the low 40's but where I was at it dropped into the low 30's and about 2 hours after sunup a brisk breeze picked up and I was dressed a little light for the lower temps and the wind. I started to get chilled and was thinking about getting out of the saddle and head home but it was the end of October and a time that I should be on stand so I didn't really want to head back in early. The thought popped into my head about trying to use the hand warmer to warm my core body. I hadn't used the hand warmer yet since it hasn't been cold yet but I did have it with me. I turned the unit on and slipped it inside of my jacket on the upwind side, about mid chest level under my arm. The warmer was positioned just above the saddle so it couldn't slide down and fall to the ground. Wow, did that feel good!! The warmer gets up to about 110 degrees, is odor free and lasts between 4-6 hours. It's easily recharged with any USB charger. These are currently on sale at Menards for less then $15 each but normally sell for around $30. I may pick up another on so next time I'm a bit under-dressed I can put on on each side. :cool:

20161101_194829-1.jpg

How heavy/bulky are they?

It probably weighs as much as an Iphone and measures about 2" x 4" x 1". I carry it in the lower cargo pocket of my pants and hardly notice it. My phone is in the opposite cargo pocket easily accessible while in my saddle.

I bought one from Menards last year. Haven't used it on a hunt. I use my phone as a gps so I wanted a battery backup. I haven't done a weight comparison between this and a few hand warmers, but I suspect they're close.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was able to eliminate layers by using adhesive body warmers. I put 1 on each kidney and 1 over my heart. I put them on top of my base layer, and they last 6-8 hours each. I usually got 2 hunts per set. They really work.

I considered a Milwaukee rechargeable heated vest. I think it would work wonders.

I bought one of these last year to try to save some handwarmers. It works very nice. If I can remember correctly it didn't last quite as long as they said, but it was very good while it lasted. I think it is great for a morning or afternoon sit. Just remember to charge it back up!

These things are great. I've had the same one for 2 or 3 years now and it works fantastically. I hunt around 150 days a year and hand warmers get pretty expensive!! I leave this charging in my car and take it with me on the hunt. I just toss it in my hand muff and it's perfect. Highly recommend!!

I bought a Patagonia Ultralight jacket. Weighs less than 10 oz but has 800 fill down. The thing is crazy warm for the weight and traps heat very well.

I was planning to sew in some pockets to hold my hand warmers on the inside. But I think I will get some of these and then custom size the pockets to hold a pair of these rechargables instead. Maybe even one in the middle of the front.

I use the Patagonia nano puff jacket as an insulation layer. Works great.

I had a feeling you would say that OR that you had another fancier brand.
Your post about hiking and back backing clothes being designed to be packable and efficient is what led me to the Patagonia.
I think wearing this while generating heat inside of it could get a bit warm. That's one reason why I like this idea of the electric warmers. Hopefully I can turn them off easier and quieter than pulling out the grabber warmers and putting them in a plastic bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're right on. The warmth to weight ratio is ridiculous when compared with "hunting" jackets.

Plus you can take them off and they don't take any space in your pack.

Before you invest in the electric warmers, try the grabber adhesive warmers. They are www.thebomb.com

You're right on. The warmth to weight ratio is ridiculous when compared with "hunting" jackets.

Plus you can take them off and they don't take any space in your pack.

Before you invest in the electric warmers, try the grabber adhesive warmers. They are www.thebomb.com

Yes, John E turned me onto the Grabber adhesives last year. They are great.

My dad told me about a guy who had his wife sew pockets into his hunting jacket back when they used the metal warmers that you had to light the stick and it burned to generate the heat.

So I have thought about doing the same for some regular hand
Warmers. But I like the idea of being able to turn one off of it warms up in the am. Or start an evening hunt with both off then turn them on as needed.

Plus they would pay for themselves in two seasons. Sooner if I do a bunch of late season duck hunts and Feb Coyote hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an off brand one from Amazon, it's awesome for your hands and you can use it as a battery backup, but it wouldn't work nearly as well as a grabber even if you sewed in pockets, plus they would dig in if you lean against them.

I have an off brand one from Amazon, it's awesome for your hands and you can use it as a battery backup, but it wouldn't work nearly as well as a grabber even if you sewed in pockets, plus they would dig in if you lean against them.

Oh. Good call. I will have to be careful with the Web. Maybe I will put them all the way on the side.

Which ones are you talking about mausty?

John turned me onto the Grabber adhesive warmers which I mentioned.

But now I'm thinking about the Celestron or similar for the custom pockets in my jacket.

Wasn't sure which you were asking about.

John turned me onto the Grabber adhesive warmers which I mentioned.

But now I'm thinking about the Celestron or similar for the custom pockets in my jacket.

Wasn't sure which you were asking about.

I was asking about electronic. Wasn't sure if you had something else you were thinking of for other areas besides the celestron. I tried headed foot warmers a few years ago. I think they were hotronics. I was very disappointed.

I'm wor
I was asking about electronic. Wasn't sure if you had something else you were thinking of for other areas besides the celestron. I tried headed foot warmers a few years ago. I think they were hotronics. I was very disappointed.

I'm working on something for the feet.

Back