• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Clearing and setting up

essdub

I've been cutting down trees with chainsaw and using them like a border for trails. I don't know exactly how many I've cut down in the last couple weeks, but I've made a lot of progress in the thick heavy stuff with trails and getting a bunch of trees set up with screw in steps as platform and paracord in them for pulling the rope into the trees when it comes time to hunt. I added a bunch more berry bushes to a new clearing and then did my usual throw n grow stuff. Also been using the hand saw to clean out shooting lanes and paths to and from the stands spots so I can come and go undetected more easily.
Then in my backyard practice site, I've cleared stuff out where I can practice at the 3d deer target from both directions at up to about 90 yards. The shots are through the woods, brush, branches, etc so they're not easy, but simulate hunting conditions at all distances. This is a lot of fun and a lot of work.
All the climbing, cutting, chopping, dragging, arranging, climbing, shooting, (repeat ) is really improving my instinctive shooting. And killing my back!
I don't take aspirin or pills, but I'm Considering it at the moment. One thing's for certain: I ain't 21 anymore.

Shaun

I know the feeling!! I worked all day Sunday, doing the same thing. Still think I'm young! A little to early, yet, in Indiana to start planting yet, but soon . Ordered new wildlife package from the state, with 100 different species of bushes, and trees. Going to make a big difference to the place. My body is hoping it's worth it!

It's worth it. I've been doing a few clearings every year for a few years. And I've been planting fruit, and nut trees and different berries and edible bushes for a decade or so. I plant the most mature trees and bushes I can afford and do as many as I can at a time to lower the cost per plant and get shipping discounts. But usually I can only spend a couple thousand a year one or two times , then it's just getting regular food plots seed and I encourage a variety of cabbage, lettuce, kale, spinach, turnips, radishes, asparagus, and other greens that will grow and be eaten by game or by me when I walk through. It's not an efficient method. But it's good for me to have a hobby. It's good for the game. It's good for my waistline because between the things I grow, my chickens, and my rabbits (maybe goats starting this year) I only spend money on condiments and dr pepper at the store. So it isn't all for hunting purposes. Plus it keeps me strong because I use only hand tools. Except the chainsaw. Sometimes I'll use it

Shaun

A southerner, and more specifically a Texan, can only go so long without Dr. Pepper....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hurting this week too. 2 days of walking that 3D range in the hills several times with the wrong boots. I had the La state boot on. The green lacrosse grange. That's all we ever used hunting down here on flat muddy ground until recent years where I started hunting out of state. They have no foot structure and support. The arches of my feet are killing me.

Re: RE: Re: Clearing and setting up

swampsnyper said:
I'm hurting this week too. 2 days of walking that 3D range in the hills several times with the wrong boots. I had the La state boot on. The green lacrosse grange. That's all we ever used hunting down here on flat muddy ground until recent years where I started hunting out of state. They have no foot structure and support. The arches of my feet are killing me.
Do you have any pics or video from the weekend? I have never been to one and would be interested in seeing exactly what goes on (I have an idea that the targets are set up kinda like I have mine at home - hidden in the woods in various positions and in different settings - in brush and through branches, etc)

Shaun

Back