• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Aider

Dressedtokill

Has anybody tried using just a climbing aider to climb with? No sticks. I tried it real quick in the back yard today and seemed like it could be done. Seems like a good way to have to carry less. If so any what’s your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I’m correct, DIYBowhunter has a video on here and YouTube about a no stick method. Haven’t tried it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been getting pretty proficient using just a 30' rope hooked up to my bridge just like a tree tether and red squirrel's aider. When i run out of rope I rappel down with my Madrock Lifeguard. I'll be getting the Safeguard to use instead of the Lifeguard in the future. It doesn't have an internal spring and engages the rope better.

I am sure it can be done but I find as you get to the top of your aider your foot gets too close to the tree which is why I like to hang it off a stick or even a WE step. Give it a try though. We are all different and what works for you might not work for me. Or maybe you will figure out the little things that make it great.

Nice not a fan of the WE steps! Well can’t say that really cause I’ve never tried them but them seem bulky to carry and could be loud when trying to carry them

What’s red squirrel aider look like

Red has a Kong ascender on the one in the pic with a foot loop going through it. I've been using a Ropman 2 with a loop for each foot. Pretty much eliminates kick out issues altogether.

Nice not a fan of the WE steps! Well can’t say that really cause I’ve never tried them but them seem bulky to carry and could be loud when trying to carry them

The aider is an independent piece of gear. It can be used with all kinds of climbing systems or by itself with a lineman's belt and/or tree tether which is what I've been practicing.

Red has a Kong ascender on the one in the pic with a foot loop going through it. I've been using a Ropman 2 with a loop for each foot. Pretty much eliminates kick out issues altogether.

Based on this and your above post can you explain a little more? What are you standing on as you advance up the tree?

If I’m correct, DIYBowhunter has a video on here and YouTube about a no stick method. Haven’t tried it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am sure he did just hung from a tether and advanced slowly up the tree. ... I think it was him.

I am sure he did just hung from a tether and advanced slowly up the tree. ... I think it was him.

He does good video! I tried it once in back yard and with some mods and practice I think it will work

Based on this and your above post can you explain a little more? What are you standing on as you advance up the tree?

Think of it as operating like a “sit and climb” tree stand. Since I’m essentially using a 30’ tree tether the whole way up, it makes it pretty easy.

I hook up my tree tether as high as I can. Then I hook up the aider at about chest height. My Ropeman is set at about waist height with two foot loops going through the carabiner. Now I hook up my bridge to the tether and sit down in my harness. Now I can lift up my feet and put each one into a loop. My toes are pointing out and my feet are basically hugging the tree. Because I’m using both feet instead of just one, and they are pushing in opposing directions, kick out is a non issue.

So now I look like I’m sitting in a chair with my legs at a 90 degree angle. At this point I simply stand up moving all of my weight from the harness to the foot loops. I reach up and slide the tree tether as high as I can again. (I’ve been practicing this with the MR Lifeguard so this is pretty easy). Now I sit back down in my harness and either pull on the tail of the aider or just move the whole thing up the tree. Now I stand up again and repeat.

So far I’ve been doing this without the need for a lineman’s belt with no issues. I would obviously need it if I was moving around branches.

This may sound complicated but it’s really not. I’m still tweaking the process and may have come up with a way to make it more efficient.

EDIT: To come down I rappel of course. My retractable gear hoist pulls double duty here. Instead of lowering my bow down I strap it to my pack or throw it over my back (recurve, easy peasy). Now I hook up my gear hoist to a small permanently installed Amsteel loop that is buried in the girth hitch knot on my tether. I rappel down with my hoist feeding out line as I go. When I get to the ground I simply pull on my gear hoist line and it disengages the girth hitch. I pull my rope down and pack up.

Here’s where I got my inspiration ( I kid you not)!!

81c5142f065a36b39ee3ff2082c6acfb.jpg

Last edited:
Think of it as operating like a “sit and climb” tree stand. Since I’m essentially using a 30’ tree tether the whole way up, it makes it pretty easy.

I hook up my tree tether as high as I can. Then I hook up the aider at about chest height. My Ropeman is set at about waist height with two foot loops going through the carabiner. Now I hook up my bridge to the tether and sit down in my harness. Now I can lift up my feet and put each one into a loop. My toes are pointing out and my feet are basically hugging the tree. Because I’m using both feet instead of just one, and the are pushing in opposing directions, kick out is a non issue.

So now I look like I’m sitting in a chair with my legs at a 90 degree angle. At this point I simply stand up moving all of my weight from the harness to the foot loops. I reach up and slide the tree tether as high as I can again. (I’ve been practicing this with the MR Lifeguard so this is pretty easy). Now I sit back down in my harness and either pull on the tail of the aider or just move the whole thing up the tree. Now I stand up again and repeat.

So far I’ve been doing this without the need for a lineman’s belt with no issues. I would obviously need it if I was moving around branches.

This may sound complicated but it’s really not. I’m still tweaking the process and may have come up with a way to make it more efficient.

I like this idea! No steps or climbing sticks needed

I hook up my tree tether as high as I can. Then I hook up the aider at about chest height. My Ropeman is set at about waist height with two foot loops going through the carabiner. Now I hook up my bridge to the tether and sit down in my harness. Now I can lift up my feet and put each one into a loop. My toes are pointing out and my feet are basically hugging the tree. Because I’m using both feet instead of just one, and the are pushing in opposing directions, kick out is a non issue.

I understood you after your first sentence lol. I was not thinking about being hooked into the tether like that because I'm always just using my lineman's belt to climb since I'm standing on solid stuff. I've seen a few variations of this, but adding the ascender on the aider portion is new. Keep up the good work!

I understood you after your first sentence lol. I was not thinking about being hooked into the tether like that because I'm always just using my lineman's belt to climb since I'm standing on solid stuff. I've seen a few variations of this, but adding the ascender on the aider portion is new. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! See the add on edit.

I think the aider only climbing has potential if someone invested enough time to become proficient enough. Basically like any other climbing method we use. Any climbing method using metal parts has the potential to be noisy. I use 8 wild edge stepps and they get me up the tree and make a platform at a little over 8 lbs total and fits in a day pack. There aren’t many climbing systems that compact that you can stand with both feet on one plane that are as compact.

EDIT: To come down I rappel of course. My retractable gear hoist pulls double duty here. Instead of lowering my bow down I strap it to my pack or throw it over my back (recurve, easy peasy). Now I hook up my gear hoist to a small permanently installed Amsteel loop that is buried in the girth hitch knot on my tether. I rappel down with my hoist feeding out line. When I get to the ground I simply pull on my gear hoist line and it disengages the girth hitch. I pull my rope down and pack up.

I’ve tried something very similar. Only difference was I didn’t have the 30ft rope to rappel down. It was in the back of my mind if I enjoyed the assent. I never got use to it. But I did come up with a foot loop that was very comfortable that you may want to try. A foot loop made with seat belt webbing for each foot. Basically a strap with a loop on each side and tie the center of the strap to the tether/aider rope. Gives you lots of foot support and makes a V against the tree so the sides of your feet and the strap are against the tree. Wrapping it live the V bar on a stick or stand.

I’ve tried something very similar. Only difference was I didn’t have the 30ft rope to rappel down. It was in the back of my mind if I enjoyed the assent. I never got use to it. But I did come up with a foot loop that was very comfortable that you may want to try. A foot loop made with seat belt webbing for each foot. Basically a strap with a loop on each side and tie the center of the strap to the tether/aider rope. Gives you lots of foot support and makes a V against the tree so the sides of your feet and the strap are against the tree. Wrapping it live the V bar on a stick or stand.

That's how I've been doing it except both of my loops are hooked to the carabiner in the Ropeman (on the aider) instead of being tied directly to the aider rope.

I would try them. It is actually the exact opposite. One of the biggest benefits is how compact they pack up. They easily fit into a small backpack. Very quiet as well. Like sticks, there are ways to quiet them down even further. Depending on your climbing method you can climb up to 40 feet with 6 stepps (lbs). They aren't for everybody but they are a great public land legal climbing method.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back