• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing line retrieval

cedar paul

SH Member
When I am done with the hunt and am ready to descend I will put a micro pulley on to aid in pulling the rope out of the tree. I hook my retrieval rope to the pulley and this reduces friction and the rope comes out very nicely. Here are some pics. 20170219_152657.jpg 20170219_152657.jpg 20170219_152634.jpg 20170219_152657.jpg 20170219_152634.jpg

So, do you switch to a linesman belt to swap it out, then back to the ground length tether to rappel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, do you switch to a linesman belt to swap it out, then back to the ground length tether to rappel?

I rappel using a second shorter bridge. I leave my main bridge and tether connected while I hook up my rappel line to my second bridge. I can even leave my main tether hooked to the tree for a backup if I want but it takes longer to go down.

I most times have a cinched tree tether while in tree and leave my ascender attached to my ascending/descending line just because I like to always be attached. So it would be a matter of reconfiguring my climbing line (going from cinched like I showed in the thread about tree tether)and then attaching micro pulley,retrieval line. After putting my weight on the access line I can disconnect my tree tether descend and on my way by pick up platform and stick/aider. When on ground tug a the retrieval line and down it comes!

The cinching configuration is handy on smooth bark trees and when you don't have a branch to go over to hold my ascending line in place.

I also use a shorter bridge belt to rappel, and stay tied on til ready to drop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm using 9mm Ultra-tech and haven't had a problem with the rope pulling thru the biner. The only friction seems to be where the rope wraps around the tree. Some trees are easier but have never been hung up. Do you guys think it's a difference in rope or have I just been lucky?

I'm using 9mm Ultra-tech and haven't had a problem with the rope pulling thru the biner. The only friction seems to be where the rope wraps around the tree. Some trees are easier but have never been hung up. Do you guys think it's a difference in rope or have I just been lucky?
Seems like you have been a little lucky. I sent @g2outdoors a message about his setup and I think he is going with the pulley because twice this year he had to climb back up to retrieve his rope. I know he is using Samson Ultra Tech.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

upload_2017-3-7_15-35-15.jpeg Could you use this to replace the prussic in Cedar Pauls setup and flip it over to then use it as a pulley for rope retrieval .Would this be a safe tether attachment. I have not tried rappelling but am going to practice this spring.

View attachment 2114 Could you use this to replace the prussic in Cedar Pauls setup and flip it over to then use it as a pulley for rope retrieval .Would this be a safe tether attachment. I have not tried rappelling but am going to practice this spring.
I'm not really sure. I'm no expert. I am planning on using a separate tether from my rapelling rope.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

another option might be to put a solid ring instead of a pulley. it would eliminate the stress on a biner in weird direction and eliminate the clatter of the pulley against the biner as you pull it down. I haven't tried it yet, but the friction should be a lot less than the rope loop alone. If you splice the end of your rope, you could splice the solid ring directly into the rope loop, or buy it with a loop already spliced and add the petzl ring afterward.

just a thought.

View attachment 2114 Could you use this to replace the prussic in Cedar Pauls setup and flip it over to then use it as a pulley for rope retrieval .Would this be a safe tether attachment. I have not tried rappelling but am going to practice this spring.

knowing my luck, it woudl flip back over and lock and I would have to climb up to get it anyways.....

another option might be to put a solid ring instead of a pulley. it would eliminate the stress on a biner in weird direction and eliminate the clatter of the pulley against the biner as you pull it down. I haven't tried it yet, but the friction should be a lot less than the rope loop alone. If you splice the end of your rope, you could splice the solid ring directly into the rope loop, or buy it with a loop already spliced and add the petzl ring afterward.

just a thought.

Another really good idea!!

just a thought.

Anyone using a ring? If so, thoughts?

Back