• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing methods....trying to cut down on weight

Dewey

Looking for ideas to get maximum climbing height for the least amount of weight. Currently I carry 4 climbing sticks and a XOP platform. One of my sticks has a 3 step aider (bottom stick) and this will easily get me over 20 feet. Problem is everything starts adding up and pretty soon I found myself not packing much less weight in than I did previously with a hang on stand and sticks. The reason I went to a saddle was to cut a large amount of that excess weight. Early season I can get away with only using two sticks and that really helps but later I will need the full package. Currently I'm at 25 lbs with my Kestrel, 4 climbing sticks, XOP platform and pack to carry it all. Thought it would be much less but final weight hanging on my scale doesn't lie. I really need to trim some weight here.

I have explored other options and I know there are a bunch out there but sometimes it's easier just to hear what others have tried and what they like the best.

Well you have sticks and an aider. Have you tried one-stick climbing?
I do no stick climbing and for the reasons you mentioned. don't do the platform thing.

It's a trade off. A bit of practice climbing and possibly more effort, but less crap

I have lone wolf sticks, the hand climber, and the wild edge stepps. The lone wolf are the fastest for me. I only use three sticks and can get about 15 feet. The stepps take longer than the lone wolf but I can get higher with similar weight in a bag that will fit in my backpack instead of on top of it. The hand climber is huge compared to most platforms and you can climb straight trees with it. You are just st limited to what trees you could climb. Since you already have sticks I would try one sticking. Or maybe two sticking. With one stick with wider you can climb as high as the tree will allow.

I use 3 muddy pros with 3 aiders and stretch out my 25' pull ropes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am about to commit to going to the wild edge stepps with aider (my own aider that I'm working on right now). I've found there is a significant learning curve with them, but once you get it figured out they are really nice. I'm almost there but not quite. The biggest advantages are packing size and weight, they're about 1/2 pound each. 6 will get me to about 20 feet, 8 25 feet.

I know the platforms have taken off around here lately, but have you thought about trying steps instead? You can take 2 pounds off right there, if not more.

I am about to commit to going to the wild edge stepps with aider (my own aider that I'm working on right now). I've found there is a significant learning curve with them, but once you get it figured out they are really nice. I'm almost there but not quite. The biggest advantages are packing size and weight, they're about 1/2 pound each. 6 will get me to about 20 feet, 8 25 feet.

I know the platforms have taken off around here lately, but have you thought about trying steps instead? You can take 2 pounds off right there, if not more.
Red have you looked at the Yates speed stirrup or petzl quickstep. I'm using the wild edge aided now but I think either of those will pretty much solve my problems with the aider I bought with the step. It will stay on your foot so you will have to use the same foot every time but no fishing for the loop with your foot. Thinking of attaching a with a metolius mini with generous amount of hockey tape across the top and down the spine.

I always liked the Stepp Ladders, but they just took too long to install. If I only had to put up 6 or 7...that could be doable. I was using 12 and it took way too long.

Red have you looked at the Yates speed stirrup or petzl quickstep. I'm using the wild edge aided now but I think either of those will pretty much solve my problems with the aider I bought with the step. It will stay on your foot so you will have to use the same foot every time but no fishing for the loop with your foot. Thinking of attaching a with a metolius mini with generous amount of hockey tape across the top and down the spine.
I haven't looked at those but I developed something just using an ascender. When I'm happy with it I'll post a photo.

I always liked the Stepp Ladders, but they just took too long to install. If I only had to put up 6 or 7...that could be doable. I was using 12 and it took way too long.
Agreed, when you cut the number in half and then consider how much more compact they are then sticks they start to shine.

Now its just getting completely comfortable with them. Oh and I ordered some of the new ropes to try out.

I haven't looked at those but I developed something just using an ascender. When I'm happy with it I'll post a photo.

Agreed, when you cut the number in half and then consider how much more compact they are then sticks they start to shine.

Now its just getting completely comfortable with them. Oh and I ordered some of the new ropes to try out.

DUDE! You are the king of dropping little hints about amazing stuff you have in the works, but never POSTING IT! You must have 25 secret projects in your garage!!!!

20 feet and 3 lbs. Oh yeah baby.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been playing with the stepps quite a bit lately and like them more every time I play with them. A little slower than sticks...yes. But I'm getting faster every time. I anxious to see how they are with an aider.

I just did some measuring yesterday to make a fixed length aider out of some tubular webbing I have laying around. I'll let you know how it turns out

Whoops. That was a typo. The stepps are 1 pound each. My bad!
DUDE! You are the king of dropping little hints about amazing stuff you have in the works, but never POSTING IT! You must have 25 secret projects in your garage!!!!
Yes! I do have at least 25 unfinished projects laying around! You've seen all the crap I spend my money on!
20 feet and 3 lbs. Oh yeah baby.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Again, whoops I mean 1 pound. So that would be 6 pounds.

Although I've been tinkering with the cranford rope steps and they are 1/2 pound each so I can get to 20 feet for 3.5 pounds including my aider, its just not as comfortable. I guess I'm gonna have to pull that project out and put a video together.

To me, the Steps vs LW stick choice is easy. Three sticks weigh just sightly less than eight Steps and get you to about the same height with no aiders. The Steps never worked out very well for me after a year of messing with them. IMHO, slow to install and difficult to get uniformly tight. The sticks are easier and faster to install each time - so simple, even this caveman can do it! Most importantly, for me, they feel more secure, even if adding an aider. I sure wish they were lighter and easier to carry...

I kinda like the concept of using the tether along with a LW climber seat to get up the tree, then possibly using aider(s) to work around the occasional tree branch. Haven't really sorted out that last part yet. :confused:

I was thinking the same thing! I have the aider and new ropes probably sitting at my house now. I have about 40 of the old Stepps and use a few for platforms. Fingers crossed that I can make the aider work safely, quietly and with minimal movement.

Gotta have some projects to work on in the A/C while waiting for the kestral. Too hot for the GW right now.

My biggest problem with the aider that they sale is it's hard to get your foot in it I could stiffen it to keep it open but the way it adjusts the bottom of the step isn't always the bottom. That's also why it would be tough to add a shock cord so it will stay on your foot.
I'm interested in seeing what Red comes up with. I'm definitely going to try the Yates speed stirrup or similar aider as well. Just being to step down and know your foot will be in the aider is worth it. Yes they are a pain to setup. Each time out they get easier and I get more confident in them. I was having to waste a step at the top to get to my platform. I set it higher to use as a handle. Last weekend I used all of my steps then used my tether above the last step to help myself from the aider to the top step. Worked good and all I had to do was move it up the tree and hook in.

Top half of hand climber... less then 5 lbs... I can get up most trees... I will sometimes climb up to some branches then climb the branches while staying connected to the tree via tether, or linesman belt...

It's really quick once you get the hang of it...

Well you have sticks and an aider. Have you tried one-stick climbing?
I do no stick climbing and for the reasons you mentioned. don't do the platform thing.

It's a trade off. A bit of practice climbing and possibly more effort, but less crap

I have watched videos on one-stick climbing but haven't tried it. Looks interesting and think I need to give it a shot. That would no doubt eliminate a large amount of excess weight.

I agree the XOP platform is nice but I have a love/hate with it because of the added 4 pounds. It's a little excessive but I really do think it makes saddle hunting much easier.

I was thinking about buying a few Stepps to experiment with. Thinking that might be another real good option for the top.

If allowed spurs with some ameristeps on a boat buckle strap are super light!!

Spurs would be nice but I only hunt public land where they are illegal.

Back