• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing rope for tree access

BlinemanB

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has tried getting aloft using an arborist style rope climbing system. It seems to me that this type of access method would require less equipment and setup. All one would need is a rope. No tree steps or ladder. You would have to get your climbing line in the tree, and still use steps at your hunting height. You could pre-set a throw line and use it to pull your climbing line up and over a suitable crotch in the tree. If your familiar with this kind of setup, Has anyone had any experience with it in a real life hunting situation. Just trying to get some input. Thanks.

Way to much movement and work. You would be sweating bullets and stinking up the place. It sounds good in theory but not very practical in my opinion and based on how I operate not a recipe for success when trying to get close to a mature buck and setting up. Standing in the woods with a throw ball trying to hook it over a limb in tight cover sounds like an act in futility. Not discouraging you from giving it a shot but I'll take a little extra weight with my climbing sticks any day to get up quick and quiet. I get the pres set thing but not practical at all for run and gun type hunting or making quick adjustments. Cant always pick the most condusive spot months in advance. I preset trees with platforms but I know I may only hunt that spot one time and its burned. Best success is usually your first sit and then most times it done. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the forum!

I have heard of a few people using this method to climb trees but it is definitely not mainstream. I think the big problem is what bigburner said and would be noise and movement. Also you would need to have the right tree with a crotch to throw your line through. It is probably not something I would want to be doing in the dark as well.

We are very open to new ideas and methods though so if you have any more experience with this and think it could work please share. I would think the guys at new tribe would have some good insight into this and if it would work for hunting because this is what they do.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking more along the lines of a preset scenario. I agree with you about the "run and gun" style/ too much going on there. I have experience climbing ropes with different ascension devices and techniques and I'm fairly confident I could get up without too much exertion. Your thoughts on the strenuous nature of this technique is definitely worth considering though. What type of platforms or steps do you guys use? Im having some trouble finding strap on steps that would all be together on one strap.

BlinemanB said:
Thanks for the input. I was thinking more along the lines of a preset scenario. I agree with you about the "run and gun" style/ too much going on there. I have experience climbing ropes with different ascension devices and techniques and I'm fairly confident I could get up without too much exertion. Your thoughts on the strenuous nature of this technique is definitely worth considering though. What type of platforms or steps do you guys use? Im having some trouble finding strap on steps that would all be together on one strap.

Personally, I would hesitate to use pre set climbing ropes. Rope doesn't hold up extremely well to the elements, and you never know what might be chewing on it or if someone finds it and messes with it while you are not there. Again since you have more experience with climbing ropes I'm open to learning if you have other thoughts.

As far as platforms and steps:

Where screw in steps are allowed I use ameristep tree steps for my pre sets, and cranford ez climb deluxe steps if I am using screw ins on run and gun.
For strap on options for climbing the 2 most popular are climbing sticks (lone wolf is popular for run and gun) and cranford rope steps.

The most popular option for a strap on platform is the ameristep plastic strap on steps on a ratchet strap. The problem with this is that these steps on no longer made and they are going for about $20 bucks a step if you can find them on ebay. We have had a few discussions about alternatives to these steps and a couple people have things in the works so hopefully they pan out. We have also been looking into using and overcenter buckle as opposed to the ratchet strap, I am a big fan of this and I am going to be putting a video together in the next couple of weeks to show its advantages.

As far as the preset goes... I wouldn't leave the climbing line in the tree. I would be leaving a throw line, which was preset, in the tree. I was aware of the ameristep strap on steps. I didn't want to pay over $100 for 5 of them though, especially if something else becomes available. Do the cranford rope steps work well? Can you run them together on a single rope or strap? My concern with the cranford steps is that they seem thin. How much grip do get on them when they're wet? Also I think I'm going to go with the lone wolf sticks for my mobile setups. I like all of the lone wolf products I have used before. Im looking forward to see the options that you said are in the works. Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to move this to the climbing methods and platforms after your next reply FYI.

I follow you with the throw line in the tree now. If you are able to get up and down quick and quiet that sounds like a pretty good idea. My big concern would be the dark. How comfortable would you be doing this in the dark? Let us know if you give this a try. If it works for you and you can put together a video I'd love to see it in action.

I find that the cranford rope steps work well for climbing the tree. I haven't had too much luck with them for a platform. Their design is different than the ameristeps and there is no support on the bottom of the spike which I find lets it kick out a little more. I tried a rope ratchet for tightening them down but I still wasn't happy with how tight I could get them. You can run them together on a single strap if you take them off the rope they come on. I do not have any problems with them being thin, or problems when they are wet. The ameristep screw in steps are thinner than those and I use them in all my permanent setups and I use them in the rain all the time. You just have to be more careful if its raining because you could slip on any of them. As far as sticks go I have a set of lone wolf sticks for mobile setups. I do not do as many mobile setups as some of the other guys but I think the sticks are great for being mobile.

I would feel perfectly comfortable using rope access in the dark. Others may not. I will try and get a video of a rope climb posted soon. It would be a demo of the technique I am thinking of using, which is single rope technique. Single rope technique (SRT) is a more efficient way to climb rope because you advance vertically at a 1:1 ratio on the rope, meaning for every foot you advance on the rope, you gain one foot of elevation. SRT wouldn't work in every situation, but for a lot of my current hunting locations it would. Keep in mind rope access would be used to replace climbing sticks, ladders, etc. and would not be necessarily involved with your current tie in point and/or platform configurations. Again, Im not suggesting to totally replace climbing sticks or steps; just another option that I think could be advantageous to gain extra height and flexibility in some situations.

I completely understand what you're talking about. You would use the rope to get up to your height then set your platform and hook up. Looking forward to seeing your demo!

I've been digging around this topic too.
Mainly for fun and exercise.

You can Double Rope (DRT) using a Blake's Hitch and a foot loop with a Prusik very quietly.
If you have the technique down it isn't harder than a climbing stand.

But picking trees, presetting throw lines would get crazy.
With luck, the right trees will be where you need them, but then we would be losing a main advantage of a Saddle...hunting where we want to.

Hello Saddle Hunters,
This is my 4th year using only a rope and ascenders. Some trees are presets, some are on the fly. Guys that have not done this have absolutely no idea how easy it is and I don't mind that at all. I am totally silent climbing. No sticks banging together. I don't sweat a bit climbing. It's a safe method and a lot easier for me than sticks or steps or ladders (yes....I have used them all.) 60' of throw line with a 10 oz. bag, 30' feet of rope and my ascender and capture device and I can hunt just about anywhere. Sometimes when scouting I put lines in good trees to pull ropes up later. I have been hunting for 34 years and this is the best method I have ever used and I likely will not change again aside from perhaps better harnesses. I can hunt 10' to 50' or more if I want. The highest I have hunted was about 45' so I could see over the top of a ridge. That was a muzzle loader hunt by the way.

It is harder to do in the dark of course, but I have gotten pretty good at throwing now and it is worth it even if it takes a bit longer. Trees already set up are ideal. I must have at least 20 paracord set ups back in the national forest. I would rather set up a new location early in the afternoon of course. It is hard to select a good tree/location in the dark no matter what methods you are using.

Items I use for Yo-Yo aka RADs system:
Petzl Ascension hand ascender
CMI Micro pulley and oval carabiner
Petzl Rig and Petzl Williams Carabiner
Lanyard (Home made)
30-35' of 11mm static rope and a 3/8 Maillon Rapide oval.
Tree Saddle or new to me walkabout harness with Aerohunter evolution upgrade.

No sticks
No tree tether (the rope replaces both items)

I wear my harness and keep everything else in my pack.
I love rappelling down the tree in the dark.

Welcome to the site Whispers Death!

Thanks for sharing that info. I have been following your info over on AT and I'm glad you found us over here! :cool:

This method looks really cool and is something I want to try out for sure. Might be next springs project.

I'm thinking this over and I'm very interested. I'm going to shoot some questions out as they come to me.

How much does this whole setup cost you? (ignoring Aero hunter, I have one of those)
Does this system hold up well to late season as it gets colder, snowy, more clothing, etc.?

The petzl rig is the expensive item, but It is the best from a safety standpoint. You can get by with a gri-gri. Many guys do. There are a few companies that sell RADs kits. I pieced mine together from wherever I got the best deals. When I started, I used 2 Distel hitches. I advanced one with a carabiner I used as a hand hold. The other was advanced with a pulley. It worked, but it was slow due to setback on the hitches.....plus it takes time to set those hitches up at the base of the tree.

Petzl Rig $175
Petzl Ascension $65
Petzl Foot Loop $25
CMI Micro Pulley $20
Oval carabiner for pulley to Ascension connection $15
Large D Carabiner for Tree Saddle Bridge to Rig or
any Carabiner for rope bridge to rig $15

Most guys already have the carabiners.

I would think around 300$, but you need rope also.
I got 150' of KMAX III the first time. The second time, I got 150' of bluewater assault line.....both 11mm lines and both work great. The KMIII is very slick and runs through the ascenders very easy. The assault line has a lot more texture and is easier to grab bare handed, but also drags in the ascender and rig much more.

If you don't want to buy that much rope, you can get cut-offs on ebay for 75 cents to a dollar a foot for 11mm or 7/16" Static rope. Needs to be kernmantle.
My cousin got several 30-50' pieces for 30$ each and free shipping.

I forgot....You will need a throw bag and throw line also.

Red,
If you want to experiment, you just need some climbing rope, a Foot Loop (just a loop of webbing that reaches the length from the ground to your waist is about right) and a Prusik or Blake's Hitch.
You just inchworm up the rope.

You already have the Ascender.
Just shorten your bridge as much as you can or even rig a very short detachable bridge that clips to the open holes on the Paws.

The key that I found was to bring my foot up under my butt when advancing the Foot Prusik.
Then it's easy to stand up.
Depends upon how high you want to climb.
That RADS setup is a lot of gear if you don't need to climb high.

Getting the rope up in the tree is the real trick.
Whispersdeath posted a GREAT Video on Archery Talk showing how he sets his line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOBbr_0Bdg

Whispers D,

Do you pull your rope up behind you while you hunt?
I have wondered about leaving a big "Scent Wick" hanging down the tree :)

After I watch your video a few hundred times more, I might try it.

I used to pull my rope up, but I don't anymore. I wear gloves and don't believe I leave much scent if any on the rope. I have had bobcats, coyotes and deer all within feet of my rope coiled on the ground and they paid no attention at all. I guess you could spray some scent killer on your rope to be sure though. As far as equipment, The only real heavyweight piece of equipment is my Petzl rig. I'm not gonna lie....it's heavy and sturdy and I like that when I'm staring at it 30 feet up. The ascension is large, but pretty light.

For the weight conscious, there is a guy on you tube that has built his own ultralight RADs kit with a microscender, custom sewn foot loop, and a gri-gri. I thing it's called Work RADs or something. I made one similar, but didn't like it. I carry the extra weight/full size devices for comfort. I can climb faster and more efficiently with the rig and Ascension.

Whispers death, How much rope do we actually need? In the first post you said "30-35' of 11mm static rope". That was what I was thinking. You bought 150', I know thats how its usually sold, but that is overkill right?

justsomedude said:
Red,
If you want to experiment, you just need some climbing rope, a Foot Loop (just a loop of webbing that reaches the length from the ground to your waist is about right) and a Prusik or Blake's Hitch.
You just inchworm up the rope.

You already have the Ascender.
Just shorten your bridge as much as you can or even rig a very short detachable bridge that clips to the open holes on the Paws.

The key that I found was to bring my foot up under my butt when advancing the Foot Prusik.
Then it's easy to stand up.
Depends upon how high you want to climb.
That RADS setup is a lot of gear if you don't need to climb high.

Getting the rope up in the tree is the real trick.
Whispersdeath posted a GREAT Video on Archery Talk showing how he sets his line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOBbr_0Bdg

So to try this out, you are basically doing what he is in this video, except for the second ropeman you would be using the blakes hitch right?
[youtube]Cd7ES8PvfqY[/youtube]

Back