• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

climbing spurs

noxninja

what would your recommendation be for climbing spurs? Type brand? Size? Only have tried them once but I don't think I gave them the chance either.

The aluminum ones from Climbrite are pretty hard to beat IMO. I love mine.

Climbrites, absolutely

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

New Guy Here-Aren't they pretty loud on more aggressive barked trees like a Cherry or Conifer? Do you just simply avoid those trees or are they quieter than I think? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Guy Here-Aren't they pretty loud on more aggressive barked trees like a Cherry or Conifer? Do you just simply avoid those trees or are they quieter than I think? Thanks!

They are as quiet as you allow them to be. It doesn't matter what kind of tree with pine being the one exception. But you can still be really quiet in pine if you try.

With sticks, I don't care how tight you get them initially, as soon as you put weight on them there is a little drop and scraping of bark. That's not a big deal on hardwoods with minimal/thin bark. However, on thickly barked trees that is very noisy.

Interesting points you guys thank you! I will definitely set my sights on a pair of Climbrites

Stupid question, but do you take them off when you get to the top or do you leave them on and pivot around the tree using the spurs vs a platform? I'm assuming you take them off, just trying to picture how difficult that would be while hanging...

Stupid question, but do you take them off when you get to the top or do you leave them on and pivot around the tree using the spurs vs a platform? I'm assuming you take them off, just trying to picture how difficult that would be while hanging...

I take them off and lower them back to the ground. Taking them off is easy. Just pull my leg up and spike the tree so I can reach the straps. I rappel down so I don't have a need to keep them in the tree with me

Oh wow I didn't even think about being able to repel down, very interesting! Do you just use your lineman's belt for repelling then?

Most of us are carrying a dedicated rope to rappel with.

Do you guys have a specific YouTube video that someone posted on the specific style or technique/gear used?

I'm seriously interested in doing this if it makes sense.

Back