• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold Feet

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Question for the guys hunting in really cold conditions.
How in the world do you keep your feet comfortable enough to hunt?

Question for the guys hunting in really cold conditions.
How in the world do you keep your feet comfortable enough to hunt?

Antiperspirant on your feet to keep them from sweating. Wool socks, unscented baby powered on top of sock and in boot, and insulated boots when needed.

That's my regiment but I don't hunt up north, we only see the temperature in the teens a few times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Insulated boots and as of recent alpaca socks (which so far I have been pleasantly pleased with) and alpaca boot liners.

In really cold I will put toe warmers in as well.

One of the tricks I swear by for keeping my feet warm is buying my cold weather boots 2 sizes too large. That gives me room for a couple of pair of wool socks but also allows the boots to retain some warmed air. If the boots are too tight when you jam a couple a pairs of wool socks in there the insulation gets compressed and is less effective. I hunt a lot of cold weather here in northern Michigan and very rarely suffer from cold feet.

5856fdddd6dffc404579d26f16fd812d.jpg

I’m an artificial heat guy. I wear nike dri fit socks uninsulated boots with a hot hands insole and toe warmers on top. Same with my clothes I wear relatively light clothes with hot hands in pockets and hot hands adhesives over kidneys
I will also add we only see teens a few times a year. Yesterday it was 20, today it’s 30 ish tomorrow it’s goin to be low teens and single digits Monday. I won’t change my set up much

Last edited:
5856fdddd6dffc404579d26f16fd812d.jpg

I’m an artificial heat guy. I wear nike dri fit socks in insulated boots with a hot hands insole and toe warmers on top. Same with my clothes I wear relatively light clothes with hot hands in pockets and hot hands adhesive over kidneys
I will also add we only see teens a few times a year. Yesterday it was 20 is today it’s 30 ish tomorrow it’s goin to be low teens and single digits Monday. I won’t change my set up much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops I meant to edit not quote. Lol

I just use one very good cushioned wool sock in a boot one size larger than regular size...... But depending on the distance to set up, I place an adhesive toe warmer on, either at the parking spot or at the base of tree.
I have also used the boot blanket things when I am ground hunting. Though they can be noisy and not conducive to saddle hunting probably, never tried.
Huck I would think in GA you could probably hunt in crocks in winter?

I have different boots for different temperatures. When it gets this cold (teens today) I wear my ll bean pac boots. I have a thick pair of merino wool socks that i wear over moisture wicking socks. I put adhesive warmers on top and bottom of my foot and then my wool socks. Depending on the temp I can sit all day like this.

This year I bought a pair of flambeau heated socks. So far I'm impressed. They're not toasty but they keep my feet from going numb. Even in my bean boots the heated warmers will sometimes die out if I don't get enough air in there.

I just use one very good cushioned wool sock in a boot one size larger than regular size...... But depending on the distance to set up, I place an adhesive toe warmer on, either at the parking spot or at the base of tree.
I have also used the boot blanket things when I am ground hunting. Though they can be noisy and not conducive to saddle hunting probably, never tried.
Huck I would think in GA you could probably hunt in crocks in winter?
That was funny right there, crocs in the winter!!!!
Rollie,
I posted that this morning from my tree in Georgia while my feet were frozen solid!

Over top of a good quality 1st layer sock, add a 2nd layer sock and then roll it off. On top of 1st layer sock, adhesive toe warmer on top and bottom of toe area. Then roll on 2nd layer sock. Then I'm good into the 20s. Temps below that I follow the same protocol but use an IWOM.

Over top of a good quality 1st layer sock, add a 2nd layer sock and then roll it off. On top of 1st layer sock, adhesive toe warmer on top and bottom of toe area. Then roll on 2nd layer sock. Then I'm good into the 20s. Temps below that I follow the same protocol but use an IWOM.
The roller idea is smart. Well done.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I have moderate neuropathy from Spina bifida myelomeningocele and I have done great with the Thermacell heated insoles with wireless remote. They are not WARM, they keep you from getting COLD. For someone like me who has less than adequate feeling they protect from frostbite and I never feel tortured. The neuropathy makes me way sensitive to cold.

Ok Huck try this. Walk barefoot to your tree, this way you wont sweat up your feet, then put your socks and boots on at your tree.
No sweaty feet means dry warm feet, Let me know how that works out for you. :D
I recall a few conversations with you that I was certain you had my best interest in mind. Now I'm beginning to wonder:p

That was funny right there, crocs in the winter!!!!
Rollie,
I posted that this morning from my tree in Georgia while my feet were frozen solid!

Huck where are you in GA? I have no problems in Liner and Merino Socks and 800gr Thinsulate Irish Setters down to the single digits.

From Sunday at 23 degrees(Stood here from 0615 to 1215)
MVIMG_20171231_074857.jpg

Last edited:
Back