• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather saddle hunting

nateg

SH Member
Do you guys have any recommendations for cold weather saddle hunting? My toes have been getting cold even with the 2000g thinsulate boots I usually wear for stand hunting. North Dakota winter has hit with temps at 20 degrees and below. I have been wrapping a hand warmer around the tree and that works really well, but still trying to figure something out for my feet.

I'm going to try some of the heatpacs for inside the boot next time out.

I hike in with only moisture wicking socks. When I get at or near the tree I will put on a foot warmer on the bottom of my foot and a toe warmer on the top, then my merino wool socks. This system has been the best I have found. My feet get cold easily and this keeps me on stand. If I am sitting all day I keep a couple extra in my pack and I will change them out if necessary.

What I do what few times it gets cold here is I put on my polyester “church socks” then my wool socks and don’t have any problems. Most of the time my feet get cold because of sweet walking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes moving your feet and walking around your platform helps. Sometimes I'll even do calf raises just to get blood flowing.

Going out tomorrow morning in the dark. Supposed to be 6 degrees at sunup, so i'll test some of these ideas out. Thanks

If you can find those camo boot covers....(not Boot blankets) they just slip right over your toes bottom of foot and heel...compact and work! they don't make them anymore but you may find some on ebay.

I suffer the same problem. I'm fine for 3-4 hours then my feet start getting cold and it escalates quickly. I have some arctic sheild boot covers and they help but my feet still get cold. They do help with my boots squeaking on my ameristeps though. Stopped on my lunch and stocked up on warmers it's supposed to get down to 15 tonight here in Michigan I wouldnt stand a chance without something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If your feet sweat at all your going to get cold. Spray your feet for a few days with cheap antiperspirant. That we keep you dry for the season. Boots at least a half size to big a warmer than snug fitting boots.

I was just in ND last weekend. It's COLD....
MN and WI can be brutal too. I wear thin wicking liners under very thick wool socks. I put the adhesive warmers above and below my toes between the socks. I buy my "cold" boots at least one if not two sizes bigger so everything is loose inside.

Finally, and this I think is the most important part, I use drysol on my feet during season. It's a prescription antiperspirant. Like Mike said, if you can't stop the sweat, you are gonna be cold.....

With the drysol I put it on my feet at night, then cover them with grocery bags and a pair of socks. Leave them on until morning. I do it a couple times a week and my feet never sweat. My wife however is not a fan.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I also use corn starch on my feet to help keep them from swearing is orderless can be used as wind detector also sweat and circulation are the main factors in cold feet.

Anyone tried the heated insoles?
I tried the hottronics about 5 or 6 years ago. They sucked. They didn't get to the temperatures the company said and when I contacted them they basically told me too bad. If anyone found ones that worked well I'd try them again, the stick on warmers do tend to die out quicker when they run out of air in rubber boots.

From now on Ernie is the only person authorized to comment on cold weather saddle hunting. Oh you don't think that makes sense?? Ok go look at the pics he has posted and check back with me.

From now on Ernie is the only person authorized to comment on cold weather saddle hunting. Oh you don't think that makes sense?? Ok go look at the pics he has posted and check back with me.
Yea, Ernie is posting pics of hunting in blizzards in October. I feel pretty badass hunting in 0 degrees in January, but I now look to Ernie for inspiration and motivation. #Ernie'sgotthepower @Erniepower

If you can find those camo boot covers....(not Boot blankets) they just slip right over your toes bottom of foot and heel...compact and work! they don't make them anymore but you may find some on ebay.

I have some of those foot covers. I have packed in some felt boot liners to wear inside the camo covers. It worked well.

I use neoprene wading socks from my fly fishing gear. And use some toe warmers top and bottom. Boots a size to big too

Back