• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbows and tree saddles

CharlieRayT

So I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on an Aero Hunter. With West Virginia allowing the use of crossbows now and the fact that drawing a bow is getting harder for me, I'm wondering how the two would work together. I have the Barnett Ghost 410 and so far I'm using the supplied rope cocking device. So far one huge doe with it.

So I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on an Aero Hunter. With West Virginia allowing the use of crossbows now and the fact that drawing a bow is getting harder for me, I'm wondering how the two would work together. I have the Barnett Ghost 410 and so far I'm using the supplied rope cocking device. So far one huge doe with it.
Don't see why the mechanics of it would be much different than shooting with a rifle.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cocking the bow may be tricky. I may have to add one of the crank type cocking devices.
I use a saddle and a cross bow . I use a crossbow because I have rotary cuff problems with my shoulder. I cannot shoot a compound bow.

I had an old excalibur crossbow that was difficult to use in a saddle because it is huge so I switched to a excalibur micro. It has a draw weight of 260 lbs and 130 lbs with a cocking aid. Funny I can draw this on a platform with no problems. When you draw a crossbow you use different muscles - legs, back and straight arm compared to drawing and shooting a vertical compound bow.

The micro is nice in a tree with a saddle because of the smaller width and length. Sometimes I cock it on the ground and put the safety on and then pull it up. You do have to watch that when you shoot it that you do not have the bow limb hit the tree when firing it. I did that and missed a nice buck this year.

I also have a Ten point accu draw with a cocking aid. It is compact, great to use with a saddle, and has a draw weight with the cocking aid of 5 pounds. I let my daughter use this. Crossbows are great if you cannot use other types of bows.

The excalibur micro is simple and nearly indestructible, and very accurate
The Ten point is great if you want a very very easy draw weight
Shooting both crossbows take less skill than shooting a compound if it is well sighted in.
If I could - I would use a vertical compound bow in a saddle but the smaller crossbows work great.

Last edited:
I use a Barnett ghost 360 with mine, it's easy to cock it on a platform, but on steps it can be tricky at first. Just have to practice, it won't be a problem when you are used to it.

I have a friend that shoots a longbow. He had a shoulder injury and couldn't draw without pain. Instead of going to a compound or crossbow, he switched from shooting right handed to shooting left handed. He was able to switch easier than you'd think and now he can out shoot me....:(

I hate to see anyone have to hunt with a crossbow having spent yeas hunting with a buddy who was forced to use one due to a physical handicap.

I use a parker thunder hawk and a guido's web. I have cocked my crossbow in the tree and it was really hard. I was injured at work I broke my pelvic and a vertebrae so I think a crank cocling device is a good idea.

My father hunts with an excalibur in his tree saddle. He cocks it on the ground and pulls it up. You have to figure out a system to make it work, but it's very possible.

Tagged for my BIL... he's interested in saddle hunting but uses a crossgun during archery here in MI.

I use a parker thunder hawk and a guido's web. I have cocked my crossbow in the tree and it was really hard. I was injured at work I broke my pelvic and a vertebrae so I think a crank cocling device is a good idea.

IMG_2379.JPG
Ten point accu draw has a built in crank that works well or simply cock it on the ground put your safety on and pull it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie, I use a killer instinct machine , and I have no problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back