• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deerstand Snacks

red2delta

Here is a fun and new thread idea that might be helpful, or stupid. I have only been deer hunting for two years now and am curious what some of you experienced hunters take into the stand with you for food during hunts. I have been taking mostly granola bars and jerky but they can have quite an odor and I have no clue if this can affect deer coming around me.
Thoughts? What do y'all take to eat?

I only eat anything on all day sits. I'll take something easy like granola bars and jerky. I take them out of the wrapper and put them in a small tupperware or at least a less noisy plastic sandwich baggy.

Since my child has started eating so many of those baby pouches I have been inspired. I am going to start taking them with me from now on. You can buy them in all sorts of fruit and vegetable flavors, but someone gave me a set that you can fill yourself and reuse that I am going to try also.

Clever! I also found and read in another thread where some would put soup ina thermos during cold winter months. Genius

I have taken soup in a tree in the winter also. Soup can get a little trickier to eat in a saddle because you have to put your thermos top down and get your spoon, etc. But it can be done. Soup also will have more scent than the other stuff, but I've never had a problem with that.

The only time I ever know of getting winded by food was a time where I had some mini chocolate bars in a ziplock bag that I was periodically snacking on. I didn't zip the bag and had the top of my backpack open. The buck stopped on a dime right before he got to my shooting lane.

Oh man, that sucks. Not food related, but last year i have a group of does stop dead in their tracks and stare at me. No idea how and why until i got the car and discovered dog poop on the bottom of boot. I am assuming that was it, but idk.

Ill keep that in mind. Probably best to just eat and put away. sounds like i need to find a small thermos....

Apples and pears smell right to a deer I figure so I eat them. I don't know if that is a good idea but that is what I snack on. It gives me deer attractive breath too I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two apples and plenty of water for all day sits. Other than that just water!

When I used to smoke I literally had to set my coffee down and shoot a buck with a cigarette in my mouth. My biggest buck to date. If you are in the right spot with the right wind I believe you can get away with almost anything.
I'm a fiber one, peanut butter snickers, zero bar, coffee, green tea, soda, water, jerky, type of guy

Back in my high school days I wrestled and was used to not eating just to make weight. Its not the healthiest way. But I learned to control my mind telling me I was hungry! So its just water for me. However after the hunt watch out!!!

Back in my high school days I wrestled and was used to not eating just to make weight. Its not the healthiest way. But I learned to control my mind telling me I was hungry! So its just water for me. However after the hunt watch out!!!
I could do it, but I choose not to anymore.I am all about comfort now lol. Just rip into those back straps after tracking like a hungry barbarian

Back