• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Delaware bachelor group

kbetts

SH Member
We grow'em big. Not far from the farm I'm hunting. Baiting is legal here on private ground. I can't bring myself to do it. Every year guys get more and more dependent on the gold pile. I know a couple that won't even hunt unless they have corn out...Lol. The one in the back is a hammer.

Screenshot_20170825-225847.png

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

and concerning the bait...I don't have a problem with it. Not much different than hunting a corn field. I grew up hunting over bait in FL. The only time you'd catch a mature buck at the bait was wicked early in the season before there was any pressure. As soon as hunting season kicked it, we'd only get small bucks and does coming to the feeders. To find the big ones, you had to make it happen on your first couple sits at the corn, or you have to move away and catch them closer to their bedding.

Bait works, but generally only on lightly pressured areas will the big boys get caught.

Baiting.. the age old debate lol.
I don't enjoy hunting over bait. But I look at it as a management tool. I have earn a buck in September and I have to shoot at least 2 does in one of the management programs I am in. As much as I would love to be out there everyday of the season doe hunting, I don't have that time anymore between work and family. Hunting smartly over bait allows me to meet those requirements and then I can move on to my real goal of hunting bucks.

I really like to watch squirrels when I am hunting.
If you throw corn out there to bring in the squirrels for something to do until a deer shows up, who would judge you?

Now, if a deer happens to come along and begin to eat your squirrel food, nobody would expect (or demand) a reasonable man to put up with that buffoonery...

Nice bachelor group by the way! Good luck

I agree with what g2 said, I've hardly ever photographed a mature buck at a bait pile during the season in daylight. But then again my hunting has occurred in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, all of which were highly pressured, so maybe it works in other situations.

I agree with what g2 said, I've hardly ever photographed a mature buck at a bait pile during the season in daylight. But then again my hunting has occurred in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, all of which were highly pressured, so maybe it works in other situations.
It works when there is very light hunting pressure. Once the hunting starts, the big boys get smart.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Those deer have been seen on a bean field two nights in a row. They will be hunted tonight on two different properties.

Extremely cool out this morning for September 1. Feels like October. Cool breeze is going to cause the acorns to drop loose. Corn is steady coming out of the fields as well.

Back