• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dipping your biner

noxninja

Anyone ever tried plasti dip on the main body of the biner or some other covering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4e1d33eb8c7a91bcbdcd8b3c0695f641.jpg

I had my cerakoted by the guy that did my bow

I dipped a few gear biners it's coming off already but it's better than nothing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was thinking about heat shrink on the back beam of them. I figure it would help a little and that part does not receive the wear. Has anyone tried that yet? Is it worth it?

I’ve had best results with hockey tape on non rope contact areas. On linesmans you can cover more area. Just not on the bridge contact area or on rappel biners.

A couple of times, covering the carabiner got in the way and I had to pull the covers off.

So lately.......

I've just been buying dark color carabiners and noise just isn't a real problem for 99% of the usage.
Our urge to cover up every piece of metal is mostly just to make ourselves feel better (or to get rid of the shine)

My LB is in a pouch by itself when not in use and with the Kestrel, there is nothing for it to rattle against when in use.
My tether is already attached to the Ropeman or prusik so same deal. And when in use, the tether doesn't have anything to rattle against.
I don't have a biner on my bridge so that's quiet.

So it's basically when you are unpacking/setting up that you might bang it against something.

One biner that goes to my grigri has the medical equivalent of camoform on it, to keep the rattling down. Some surfaces of other climbing stuff are covered with tape but not everything.. I'd rather clank than deal with peeling and catching and sticky tape residue everywhere.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

I heat shrink all mine. Some are tough to get around the bends but it can be done. I've never really had a problem with noise when in use, only when putting stuff away up in the tree. Peace of mind I guess.

4e1d33eb8c7a91bcbdcd8b3c0695f641.jpg

I had my cerakoted by the guy that did my bow

Dont they have to heat the parts and cure them in a oven when they cerakote them?

Dont they have to heat the parts and cure them in a oven when they cerakote them?

Yeah, he does bake them, but not to extreme high temps that would compromise the steal. Like 200 degrees or something like that

Back