• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Displaying Euro Mounts

bigcat93

SH Member
Anyone have any creative ways/ideas to do this?

Over the summer I put together boards off of an some old pallets after I sanded and stained them. However as one big piece it is too heavy to hang on the plaster walls that we have. I have begun toying with the idea of rather than fastening the boards together, just anchoring them to the wall separately but next to one another. I feel something like this will look better than just having euro mounts on a bare wall

You guys have any thoughts?

I like those. I have an 8 point (first saddle buck ever) that I've been meaning to do something with for 6 years. Maybe now is the time.

I'm thinking of using the "Skull Hooker" or something homemade and similar.
76ea5b1ed1122c695d3f9cc368c02f86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen some really cool ones on fence posts etc, but if they are mounted on a dark wall or stone wall they can look really nice there too. I got lucky on this one and the overhead light threw a shadow making it all look bigger.

2b00781a5ec7fe131af956b0ff1424e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IMG_3781.JPG IMG_3782.JPG I did mine with a plaque. I drilled a hole for the screw and counter sunk it so its sits flush with the back of the plaque. On the skull i drilled a small hole through the base of the skull. With the skull lay it down on some thick towels. Drill slowly to much speed or pressure you could crack the skull. This is the one in my avatar and I do all my own euros.

View attachment 1628 View attachment 1629 I did mine with a plaque. I drilled a hole for the screw and counter sunk it so its sits flush with the back of the plaque. On the skull i drilled a small hole through the base of the skull. With the skull lay it down on some thick towels. Drill slowly to much speed or pressure you could crack the skull. This is the one in my avatar and I do all my own euros.

Gosh with a rack that big, it would look good mounted on anything. Lol. Nice buck!

Gosh with a rack that big, it would look good mounted on anything. Lol. Nice buck!

Thanks if i had the cash at the time i would have shoulder mounted but that was my first euro diy at that lol!! I have done quite a few since then for others and there really quite easy to do. The problem i have now is finding a buck or should i say have those on my hit list walk in front of me. I have seen way to many smaller bucks this year and am still waiting on something worthy I guess. His rack in the photos measured 132 and some change.

Thanks if i had the cash at the time i would have shoulder mounted but that was my first euro diy at that lol!! I have done quite a few since then for others and there really quite easy to do. The problem i have now is finding a buck or should i say have those on my hit list walk in front of me. I have seen way to many smaller bucks this year and am still waiting on something worthy I guess. His rack in the photos measured 132 and some change.

Could you share your method? I skinned, boiled off the meat using borax soap in the water, then cleared it. Looks nice but a real pain to fit it in a pot big enough to boil it.

Holly record 3pnts Red. Was that buck half shed or did he only grow 1 side?
He was a half rack. I had seen him 10 days early with both antlers on the opener of our muzzeloader but he was too far. I shot him in the first 10 days of December and he had already dropped one side. And he was chasing a doe fawn that must have just come into estrous for the first time. It was a really cool hunt.

Could you share your method? I skinned, boiled off the meat using borax soap in the water, then cleared it. Looks nice but a real pain to fit it in a pot big enough to boil it.
I cut as much as I can off first. I have a big pot I bought specifically for doing this. I have done it on both the outdoor turkey fryer stand with the propane tank, and on the side burner of my gas grill. I put the whole head in to the pot and start boiling. I will periodically add some dish soap and as everything starts to loosen up I will pull it out and cut skin and fat off. The brain is the hardest part. I buy one of the pipe style bottle cleaners and stick in through the hole where the spinal cord goes in to loosen things up. Just keep repeating all of this until its clean. I usually save it for a day I have free because it is a day project.

There's a guy I saw do this on youtube using a power washer. I think he just taped off the rack to make sure he didn't mess up the rack.

I'd really like to find a way to display them with the bottom jawbones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back