• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Kestrel Clone

ckossuth

Vendor Rep
I’m new here but have been a DIYer for several years. I’ve done everything from lightweight mountain shelters to packs. I’m new to the saddle hunting world and this will be my first one.

I think the Kestrel is what I would like to try. Here lies the problem though. “Hi, my name is Carl and I am addicted to Kryptek “. Yes, it’s so bad that I should probably be attending meetings.

Unfortunately the Kestrel is not made in Kryptek and apparently they would not do one if I sent them the fabric. This is totally understandable from a business standpoint. But since I’m a DIYer and have all of the materials lying around, and a kick ass Juki thread puncher, I figured I might as well make my own. Anyway, I’m going to try and make this a build along for anyone that might like to follow along.

Disclaimer: I plan on building this for my own personal use and will not be selling them.

Here’s the first few pics. I dismantled a stock Lone Wolf harness I had. It was made with 2” webbing and had a couple cobra buckles and three bar sliders on it. I’ll only be using one of the buckles for the main belt. I’ll have to dig up two 1 inch cobra buckles for the leg straps. Not sure of the exact color combination for all of the webbing yet. As for the fabric for the harness, I’ll be using 500D Kryptek Highlander on the outside and either 500D coyote brown or UPS brown for the inside. The separate back support will be the same.

71b309d8d113bd0ae26cf8af07250a07.jpg

d4f3bd9d52b01fa72509146bd6c426d0.jpg

Here’s where the magic happens. It’s still a disaster from when I was making silnylon shelters last year.

0dcb951afac92ac0d148bf46161279fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm jealous of your machine. Mine is a very old singer. Does that model have reverse? It looks like you have upgraded to the digital motor?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm jealous of your machine. Mine is a very old singer. Does that model have reverse? It looks like you have upgraded to the digital motor?

Mine is a Juki DDL-8700. It isn’t the digital one but has reverse and a servo motor. It’s the workhorse of the commercial world. I love it!

21c4c5ee93b438005b37c2efee4d2eaa.jpg

Yep. Jealous. Here's mine. I replaced the drive pulley. You can see the original sitting on the table. I also replaced the clutch motor with a servo model.

It was too darn fast before. At least now I can control it.

90640761678ba6e333ba5c3557bc21cb.jpg

Yep. Jealous. Here's mine. I replaced the drive pulley. You can see the original sitting on the table. I also replaced the clutch motor with a servo model.

It was too darn fast before. At least now I can control it.

90640761678ba6e333ba5c3557bc21cb.jpg

It gets the job done!

Patterns are cut and ready to put together. They will be sewn curve to curve. I’ll do the inside and outside separately and then join them.

The curves, when sewn together will create a slight “bowl” shape. I did a mock up earlier and I seemed to get the desired result. I have no idea if this is how the commercial one is done but it looks like I’ll get the same end result.

b2f3a827590a15f5ed1a82dd7e52371c.jpg

Last edited:
Inside and outside panels are attached and 3/4” grossgrain is sewn on! The saddle body is done. Based on my experience I’d say this will be the hardest part of the build. Getting the geometry just right took some head scratching. Now it’s just a matter of sewing on all of the various webbing. From here on out it’s all about loops and webbing layers. Keep in mind I’ve never even held a tree saddle, much less measured one, so I’m just winging it.

268622e4f3fb4e753fc2ed9597e213ac.jpg

fb9b1059972c47ec133f656af4474326.jpg

608f6fe253bcf524f85a6f38704d233b.jpg

Back