• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Saddle

j0sh

I decided this year to try out saddle hunting this year after listening to a podcast with the great John Eberhart. Being a "DIYer" like most other guys on here I figured I could make my own saddle and make my own climbing rope, etc. Here are some pictures of my custom saddle, after a practice run and a few more modifications it feels really solid. BTW this isnt an original design.. kinda stole the idea from another guy whom I cant cite because IDK who it is... BUT he had a great idea and I ran with it.20171006_193733.jpg 20171006_193654.jpg 20171006_193752.jpg View attachment 2884 20171006_193620.jpg

No, not military, but use the gear for hunting, b.o.b. stuff. Love having the molle though. Gives soe many more options gor your rope and gear.

No, not military, but use the gear for hunting, b.o.b. stuff. Love having the molle though. Gives soe many more options gor your rope and gear.
Yeah I agree. It's pretty useful stuff.

CIF stands for Central Issue Facility and is a terrible place in the Army world. They give out all the gear for training and deployments. Anytime you go there, be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait. That is also where Soldiers get charged money when they lose a piece of kit.

Same, same in the Corps.
Those civilians that inspect returned gear can spot the smallest, most insignificant flaw from two miles away.

Turkeys dream of their eyesight.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Yessir they would reject stuff that still had tags on it from the store. I bought a new canteen once because I had trashed my old one and they rejected it because it didn't smell clean,(bleach). I knew plenty of guys on the line(Infantry) with me that would just buy new stuff to turn in and keep the stuff that they had been using for 3 -4 years, knowing it wouldn't pass inspection.

I decided this year to try out saddle hunting this year after listening to a podcast with the great John Eberhart. Being a "DIYer" like most other guys on here I figured I could make my own saddle and make my own climbing rope, etc. Here are some pictures of my custom saddle, after a practice run and a few more modifications it feels really solid. BTW this isnt an original design.. kinda stole the idea from another guy whom I cant cite because IDK who it is... BUT he had a great idea and I ran with it.View attachment 2881 View attachment 2882 View attachment 2883 View attachment 2884 View attachment 2885

What did you make the main part of the saddle with? Looks almost like large wide backpack waist-belts sewn together.

What did you make the main part of the saddle with? Looks almost like large wide backpack waist-belts sewn together.
Sorry for the belated reply, and yes that's exactly what I did. I used some heavy duty 2"ratchet strap material which is about 3500lb and sewed it together after looping it through the belts in one continuous loop.

Back