• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy sit drag with a preacher style seat

bowkill00

I like saddle hunting but hate the hip squeeze. Has anyone modified a rock harness/sit drag with an actual platform seat? I think this would be the perfect setup w/o much weight.

Pretty much talking about building a bosuns chair. Check out the west marine pocket bosuns chair. I think there's one on ebay new right now for like $60.

Leave the sitdrag out of this equation. You just need a harness with linesman to climb and safety. Make the preacher seat and hunt. Search preacher seat or noxnija if I remember correctly he built quite a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9e6564b63d1e14264f954fea5f12556b.jpg

Treesuit fits that bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a sit drag out of two pieces of cloth sandwiching a one inch piece of stiff foam. I added several inches in length on both sides and pretty much eliminated hip squeeze. I added a back brace made the same way but smaller and attached it with smaller diameter rope with a prussic knot attachment for adjustability. It is much, much more comfortable than a standard sit drag. I can sit in it all day. The longest I made it in my first sit drag was around 4 hours and I found it painful. With the foam it is almost as light weight as my original sit drag and doesn't take up much space. I just attach it to the outside of my pack and I forget it's there when I am travelling through the woods. I also use a lightweight rock harness and use my linemans belt to attach it to the tree after I am up. I run one end through the other so I can rotate around the tree and it doesn't really restrict my movement much. I like the added safety of having two straps. I use the predator rope on both.

I made a sit drag out of two pieces of cloth sandwiching a one inch piece of stiff foam. I added several inches in length on both sides and pretty much eliminated hip squeeze. I added a back brace made the same way but smaller and attached it with smaller diameter rope with a prussic knot attachment for adjustability. It is much, much more comfortable than a standard sit drag. I can sit in it all day. The longest I made it in my first sit drag was around 4 hours and I found it painful. With the foam it is almost as light weight as my original sit drag and doesn't take up much space. I just attach it to the outside of my pack and I forget it's there when I am travelling through the woods. I also use a lightweight rock harness and use my linemans belt to attach it to the tree after I am up. I run one end through the other so I can rotate around the tree and it doesn't really restrict my movement much. I like the added safety of having two straps. I use the predator rope on both.

Pictures??

Here is a few pics of my son swinging in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    519.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3010.JPG
    469.9 KB · Views: 276
I can take some and post them maybe tomorrow. It is one inch wider and 4 inches longer than a sit drag. It doesn't weigh much more than a sit drag. It is 10x more comfortable than a sit drag.

I think the Sit Drag is phenomenal, but, I would like it to be a little larger! Being on the slightly larger side(6'1" 230), It can pinch down on me pretty well at times!

Here are a couple of pics without the kid hanging in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3038.JPG
    IMG_3038.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 167
I used the seat belt type material that safety harnesses are made from. The webbing goes all the way around the front and back in one big loop and is attached by box stitches and regular straight stitching the whole way. It is sturdy. My cousin weighs around 200 lbs and he swung around in it this weekend with no issues. I made an upgraded version this weekend but it took more time. It is a bit longer and wider and is even more comfortable but it is also a little bulkier, but, I am an advocate of comfort over packability.

I forgot to mention that the material that the seat is made from is a upholstery grade suede on top(soft and quiet) and on the bottom it is a thicker, more robust upholstery fabric. My next project will be 600d camo material on the outside and fleece camo on the inside. I also found that I like a long bridge on this saddle. A longer bridge gives me more room to lay a gun across it and brace my arms for a rifle shot(and also lay my head on it to sleep if I feel like it).

Back