• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do camera’s and social media affect your hunting psyche?

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Do camera’s and social media affect your hunting psyche?

Talk about changes over the years. As a bowhunter for over half a century I never thought the day would come when we could get a pictured inventory of what deer and especially bucks are in our hunting area and I really don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing. I’m positive it affected my hunting time in a negative fashion in 2017.

While I have about 40 locations prepared in Michigan going into each season, I only hunt about 12 of them based on mast and fruit production, crop rotations, signposts, and other hunting pressure on the same property.

While I rarely use motion cameras in Michigan, when I travel hunt to lightly pressured states during or after our gun season each year I set up cameras at every hunting location and exclusively hunt those locations based on what’s on the cameras. I don’t use them in Michigan because checking them negatively affects deer traffic while in lightly hunted areas they don’t.

This was the first year I put out 2 cameras in non-hunting locations and other than the 3 ½ year old buck I took, there were no other bucks in the areas of interest. How did I know that with only 2 cameras you might ask? Everyone else hunting the public and private properties I have free permission on have cameras out and I try to keep in contact with them to see what they have on camera and of course in today’s social media world the pics are on their cells and they’re happy to show them off as if they killed them. If the other hunters are using them at their locations, I might as well take advantage of it to know what’s in the area.

Of course in the heavily pressured areas I hunt nearly all the pics I’m shown of good bucks are after dark, but that’s because they tend to hunt more open vulnerable areas and typically have their cameras set up over bait or some other form of human activity site.

This past season I had a bordering neighbor that I’d never met before stop on the road as I was changing to go hunting and congratulate me on taking the biggest buck he and his brothers had on their cameras. He had actually just finished pulling all their cameras as they were not going to hunt there anymore that season.

It’s tough to get motivated to get out of bed at 4 am to go bowhunting when there is 10 to 20 cameras in the area and none of them have a buck that you want to shoot on them. I can deal with their after dark pics of big bucks because I hunt more remote and difficult to access areas where those same bucks may move during daylight, but when there’s not even middle of the night pics at bait piles with black out cameras, that’s not a good sign.

Then there’s social media where monster bucks are posted in real time from all over the country and the vast majority of them are bigger than anything that exists in mine and likely your area. That’s also tough to swallow when you know deep down that you hunt every bit as hard as they do, just not in the same states, areas, or types of managed properties that they do.

Just as life is not always fair, hunting is positively and definitely not fair. Fair is when everyone has the same opportunity to excel. Sports is a good example of fair because the participants elevate themselves to the next level based solely on their skill at the game against other competitors while participating on the same field, court, course, rink, or whatever. That is so not the case with whitetail hunting.

So when you’re looking at motion pictures or kills of huge bucks from others that you know hunt in different situations than you do and have more opportunities, congratulate them and keep your inner thoughts to yourself and know that the taking of a good 2 ½ year old buck just may be the best your area has to offer and be happy with it.

I struggle with containing my ego all the time when I see bowhunters get accolades for consistently taking big bucks from lands where I know a good percentage of the bowhunting community could easily do the same given the opportunity. ,

To me bowhunting for mature whitetail bucks has taken a strange direction since the advent of TV shows and videos in the early 90’s, but it is what it is and I have to just suck it up and let it go.

What’s your opinion and please elaborate?

Personally, I don't try to "keep up with the Jones' s ". Hunting time for me is precious as I get older. I shoot an older bow that I keep well maintained and shoot regularly. Yes I scout and prep areas every year to increase my odds at a mature deer. But I don't dwell on one as some feel they have to shoot a trophy every season to prove what...?
I don't feel I have to kill every deer I see anymore. I enjoy the chase of setting up in a different location in most cases and seeing deer. If you're not seeing you're not doing something right.
To the trophy hunters with only a few deer under your belt...."You're not a trophy hunter" you're a dreamer...
I am not a trophy hunter, I am a hunter that chooses to take what the good Lord provides for me in my area and am proud to do so even if it is a young deer.
As far as cameras go...I have a few but they stayed at home this year....I wanted to actually be surprised at what showed up at my locations this year. I have watched videos of young hunters taking long shots on beautiful bucks and losing them...!!! We're using bows, short range hunting tools, it dissapoints me alot as some of those deer die as coyote food.
Hunters have become lazy and unappreciative of our great rescources.

I know exactly how you feel John. I have friends that get GIANT deer on camera every year and it’s simply because of the areas they hunt. They don’t do anything different than me so I don’t worry about it at all. I focus on my areas and what I can hunt and target the biggest of what I have access to. I also have guys in my hunting area that openly share trail cam pics and I would be lying if I said I didn’t use that info. The way I feel is that if they want to share that info, I’m free to use it! Lol. I’m not so open about it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been a meat hunter up until about 3 or 4 years ago. My kids are grown and I simply don’t need as much meat as I once did. I have slowly turned more in to a trophy (dreamer as Redfeather puts it) hunter. This transition isn’t easy. Totally different tactics. I like seeing deer. I am used to seeing 20 deer a sit, now sometimes I don’t see a deer. Its just different. When you are used to seeing deer and then see none it’s hard to stay in a stand.

Several years ago I missed a buck that later scored 184”. It was killed opening rifle season out of my buddy stand not more than 150-200 yards away from where I missed. I have simply passed on deer except the occasional doe since then. That deer was extra special.

I have come to realize something this year I’ve been passing on deer the last few years and now really getting a good look at some of the deer other people are killing and people saying what a big deer it was, what a great deer it was, the deer I’ve been passing on we’re bigger. I’m only talking Local deer.

I see big deer from all over the country and grew up looking at a 6x6 Muley with like a 30” spread on my Uncles wall.

So, I think I’ve set my expectations above what reality is for the area that I’m hunting.

I have been a meat hunter up until about 3 or 4 years ago. My kids are grown and I simply don’t need as much meat as I once did. I have slowly turned more in to a trophy (dreamer as Redfeather puts it) hunter. This transition isn’t easy. Totally different tactics. I like seeing deer. I am used to seeing 20 deer a sit, now sometimes I don’t see a deer. Its just different. When you are used to seeing deer and then see none it’s hard to stay in a stand.

Several years ago I missed a buck that later scored 184”. It was killed opening rifle season out of my buddy stand not more than 150-200 yards away from where I missed. I have simply passed on deer except the occasional doe since then. That deer was extra special.

I have come to realize something this year I’ve been passing on deer the last few years and now really getting a good look at some of the deer other people are killing and people saying what a big deer it was, what a great deer it was, the deer I’ve been passing on we’re bigger. I’m only talking Local deer.

I see big deer from all over the country and grew up looking at a 6x6 Muley with like a 30” spread on my Uncles wall.

So, I think I’ve set my expectations above what reality is for the area that I’m hunting.

I still dream occasionally....

Not much of a fan of em, but I use them mostly to gauge daylight movement. Nite movement means nothing to me nor do the deer that move at night; but the big ones that are night owls are fun to look at. As for social media and hunting, I filmed for a hunting show for 6 years, side job for the joy of doing it. And the focus was not really on hunting. Stopped filming a few years back and now don't spend much time web/social media surfing on stand anymore. That's a little sidetrack but a lot of folks get distracted by pocket tech (me too!) and it really detracts. This year was refreshing in that I pulled WAY back; next year the plan is to leave the phone off while hunting!! This evening was my last hunt of the year...phone was too cold to even use! Lol but I did take pics to send my wife and son in law.
a8ca0cfa8be09483c63e72bcbbe5e13f.jpg

Interesting. A few years ago I grew tired of all the plotting and scheming that my hunting experience devolved into. I found that the more time I spent trying to pinpoint the perfect setup, the less I enjoyed the actual hunt itself. So in an effort to change it up, I went into spots that I knew but hadn’t hunted before, and made my efforts much more random. Obviously this was a gun season tactic, but in November ‘15 I took my best buck by walking in over a mile, and sitting over a ravine that I’ve never hunted before, or since. No trail cams, no intensive scouting, just looking over the terrain, using my intuition, and being lucky. Something about the shear randomness was oddly satisfying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
e93ae3e17a61888c12326684b6445a33.jpg

Last edited:
I use camera's for pure fun. I go through phases where I'll put them out and other times where I don't. This year I only had a couple out. I don't put them out in places where I plan on buck hunting, usually just new areas to see for the future. I do put them out over bait in my doe management areas. The goal of those hunts is to shoot my required does as quickly as possible so that I can start buck hunting.

@John Eberhart I do not let what is going on elsewhere in the country affect my psyche. I hunt in NJ and while while we do get some good bucks, we just generally don't have the bucks around here that you would find in the midwest. The hunting that I do is not comparable to what you would see on tv. One of the best pieces of advise that I took from your books is to hunt what is a mature buck for your area. My goal is to shoot 3.5 year old bucks regardless of antler size. Since adopting this goal I have been quite successful. I have taken at least one 3.5 year old every year since 2011. A few of these bucks were easily over 200# live weight, but I don't think any of them even break 100" in antler size (I have not bothered to have anything officially scored. I am happy with them for what they are.) If I were to hold out for what you see on tv and social medial I would not be filling many or any tags. I have a ton of fun hunting like I do and I wouldn't change a thing. I enjoy hunting the bucks that I have that are closer to home. Being close to home enables me to become intimately familiar with the areas I hunt. That is something I couldn't do if I was traveling to hunt bucks in the midwest.

next year the plan is to leave the phone off while hunting!!

I never take my cell hunting as the call to use it would be too strong.

I represent Manzella gloves (camo glove line owned by Isotoners) in Michigan and they were the first company to come out with touch tip gloves so that a hunter could use his cell phone with his gloves on while hunting. I laughed when they presented them at a sales meeting and said, who in the world uses their cell phone while hunting as I just couldn't believe anyone would as the distraction could cost opportunities.

Man was I wrong. In every single appointment I had with sporting goods buyers, the first thing they did was put on the gloves and take out their cell phones to see if it really worked. Every single buyer of the 20 or so I called on took their cells on stand to either text, play games or search the net. I was shocked, but man did I sell a lot of gloves.

Yup the temptation to use it is great.

I take it for safety. I can share my exact location with my wife. I can call out for emergencies. It is a backup compass light gps I would be reluctant to leave it behind It is my only camera as well. If asked it tells the game warden when I killed or found my deer I text someone if I take that shot just before the end of legal shoot time

Or take a picture of the kill so the camera will record the time of the text or picture It lets me take a picture for saddle hunter deer contests too

This matters to me if I am hauling a deer out in the dark
I have killed deer just before the end of legal shoot time

But that said I have fallen to the temptation of using that dumb phone at the wrong time for one buck. So far
I never play games on my phone or on any other device But I have been known to read saddlehunter on Tapatalk or read about last nights leafs hockey game on my phone Those are the two main this I do on my phone or computer I don’t like social media much. I spend toooo much time on this site because I have a iPhone and tooo much time thinking about hunting.

Last edited:
My phone goes with me every hunt and I spend entirely too much time reading Saddlehunter when I should be hunting. Come on boys....... let's be truthful!!!

Yup. Missed a shot on a nice buck about 5 years ago texting the answer to a buddy's text - "Are you seeing anything?" I was return texting, "Not yet but looks promising" and looked up as I was about to type "promising" and watched a beauty quickly turn away seeing my fingers furiously bouncing away...

The phone is for emergencies or "good" use more often than not, except when - like Huck - I'm guilty of the occasional sneak!

But to broadview once again, the quality of my hunting has been compromised as the phone and tech weasled its way into my hunting time. I honestly say 90% of this year (MASSIVE improvement) I was offline and in tune with the woods. MUCH better.

PS I'm pretty excited that John Eberhart quoted my post earlier! Longtime and big time fan!

Yup. Missed a shot on a nice buck about 5 years ago texting the answer to a buddy's text - "Are you seeing anything?" I was return texting, "Not yet but looks promising" and looked up as I was about to type "promising" and watched a beauty quickly turn away seeing my fingers furiously bouncing away...

The phone is for emergencies or "good" use more often than not, except when - like Huck - I'm guilty of the occasional sneak!

But to broadview once again, the quality of my hunting has been compromised as the phone and tech weasled its way into my hunting time. I honestly say 90% of this year (MASSIVE improvement) I was offline and in tune with the woods. MUCH better.

PS I'm pretty excited that John Eberhart quoted my post earlier! Longtime and big time fan!

I can relate to your experience. I am a fan of John’s books video and input here too

Like so many of us I do not hunt the big buck states. I'm in the south where we are all part of hunting clubs or big woods public land. So big deer are very rare. A few years back I was hunting "better" bucks but now I have a wife and my forth child coming, so I had to revert back to meat hunting. So far I managed to take a couple deer with my rifle. This is enough to get me and my family through the year. Though I enjoy rifle hunting my passion truly is traditional bow hunting. Now that I have enough in the freezer I have cleaned the rifle and will finish out my season with my longbow. There is something about the simplicity of it. Every year I find myself leaving more and more things at home. Before long I hope to only grab my stand and bow and head in the woods. This is the first season since I bought my first camera that I did not put any out. And though I want to put one out, I change my mind every time I go in the woods. One has rode in the middle of my sxs since the beginning of the season with new batteries and a card in it. I have yet to put it on a tree. Though I do use technology and some fancy gadgets, I have really enjoyed the simplicity I had this season. Hunting for meat, not stressing over the horns and just enjoying what I love to do. I think we all forget how enjoyable it can be by worrying about so many things other than just enjoying God's gift to us.

I use cameras to take inventory and locate a specific buck's bedding areas. Since most of my hunting spots are 2-3 hours away - there just is not enough time to scout 20-30 properties. Does it effect my hunting psyche? perhaps, but to me it is in a good way. Finding and locating a mature buck is part of the main reason I still hunt bucks (I would much rather eat does). On the public land I hunt to find a true 4.5 year old buck takes 100s of hours. And you have to put eyes on or get a picture to determine how old and what he has on his head.

I use cameras to take inventory and locate a specific buck's bedding areas. Since most of my hunting spots are 2-3 hours away - there just is not enough time to scout 20-30 properties. Does it effect my hunting psyche? perhaps, but to me it is in a good way. Finding and locating a mature buck is part of the main reason I still hunt bucks (I would much rather eat does). On the public land I hunt to find a true 4.5 year old buck takes 100s of hours. And you have to put eyes on or get a picture to determine how old and what he has on his head.

I feel the same way about cameras. There's just no other way I'd be able to put in the time scouting and hunting to equal the amount of info a camera can give you.

I guess whether they affect my hunting psyche in a positive or negative manner depends on what I get on camera. They have motivated me more often than not. But there have been times when I feel like I have nothing to hunt, so I either don't, settle for what I can get, or try somewhere new and hope for the best.

Interesting. A few years ago I grew tired of all the plotting and scheming that my hunting experience devolved into. I found that the more time I spent trying to pinpoint the perfect setup, the less I enjoyed the actual hunt itself. So in an effort to change it up, I went into spots that I knew but hadn’t hunted before, and made my efforts much more random. Obviously this was a gun season tactic, but in November ‘15 I took my best buck by walking in over a mile, and sitting over a ravine that I’ve never hunted before, or since. No trail cams, no intensive scouting, just looking over the terrain, using my intuition, and being lucky. Something about the shear randomness was oddly satisfying.

Interesting story and great buck as well.

Back