• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dual purpose video camera

Bogle

SH Member
My daughter is at the age (15) where she is getting recruited by colleges for softball. With that said; we want to upgrade our video camera to video her. Is there a camcorder that you guys are using for hunting that would do a good job with videoing her softball ? I know nothing about camcorders. Thanks

Hmm, resurrecting an old post, sorry. Did you end up getting something? I'm in the same boat, just different sport (soccer). Would welcome any feedback or recommendations for an entry level camcorder.

I "need" a GoPro too but that won't work for taping soccer games from the bleachers. Would like to find something closer to $400 and refurbished is fine.

Go on the Cannon refurbished website. I bought a hfg30 there a yr ago and it preforms perfectly. Also when I got it It looked brand new other than the packaging. They also guarantee their refurbs for a yr.

I "need" a GoPro too but that won't work for taping soccer games from the bleachers. Would like to find something closer to $400 and refurbished is fine.

I spent the last several weeks researching budget cameras and when I say budget I am talking $100-$200 used on ebay. I just bought a Canon Vixia Hf 10 for $100 and my dad just bought a Vixia Hf M30 for $70. both were purchased used off of ebay. I purchased the Hf10 because it has a slightly larger image sensor which should in theory make it a little better in low light. I have only played around with it at the house but, the image quality is great for softball games and plenty good enough for filming hunts, as long as your not expecting TV quality. I also read very good things about the Canon Vixia HF M40/400 and M50/500 series. Canon used the image senor from their Pro model cameras in these two consumer cameras and the image quality and low light recording is supposed to rival their Prosumer cameras like the g30 mentioned above but, they are a whole lot cheaper. Here is a refurbished M40 currently on eBay for $275: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-VIXI...:b40AAOSw92RbE0EB&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=4

I think someone on here uses the M40 and loves it, maybe @MCDM?

These cameras are external mic compatible but, not lanc remote compatible. However, they do come with an IR remote, that I plan on taping to the handle on my fluid head. Still to be determined how well that will work.

There is a ton of camcorder info and reviews out there online, I don't want to add up the number of hours I spent online looking up info on the models above as well as other models. These models may or may not be what you are looking for I just thought I would toss the info out there for you because I know that when I was looking for a 'budget' camera, the conversations always went off in the direction of $800+ cameras, and that didn't fit my budget.

Back