• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dumb things you've done hunting

Root

What dumb things have you done hunting or hunting related?

Here's one of mine. I used to always stalk my into my preset stands, unless there was to much brush to crawl through. I've always wanted to stalk and shoot with my bow. I've come close but usually I end up with no clean shots due to ground cover. Well many years ago I was just heading out and thought I better take a leak. I already had an arrow knocked on my golden eagle compound with a junk rubber tube to keep the arrow on the drop away rest. So quick thinking I'd hold the bow in one hand and do what needs done. Well the wind blew a gust mid business so I turned quick. When I did that my grip on my bow slipped which caused me to jump. Somehow in all of this commotion my arrow came off the rest and hit my knee pointing it right at my face at the exact second I was bending down to catch it. Yep put the tip of the broadhead just above my chin almost through into my lower teeth. Sucked up my bleeding man pride and headed back for the house. My newly married wife was freaking out from the blood pouring out. But it was hunting season, so some quick sterilization and a few laps of tape around my head and chin I was back of off heading to a different closer stand. It's a faint scar now, but the real pain is the " good luck don't put an arrow in your face. " comment every time I go out.

What dumb things have you done hunting or hunting related?

Here's one of mine. I used to always stalk my into my preset stands, unless there was to much brush to crawl through. I've always wanted to stalk and shoot with my bow. I've come close but usually I end up with no clean shots due to ground cover. Well many years ago I was just heading out and thought I better take a leak. I already had an arrow knocked on my golden eagle compound with a junk rubber tube to keep the arrow on the drop away rest. So quick thinking I'd hold the bow in one hand and do what needs done. Well the wind blew a gust mid business so I turned quick. When I did that my grip on my bow slipped which caused me to jump. Somehow in all of this commotion my arrow came off the rest and hit my knee pointing it right at my face at the exact second I was bending down to catch it. Yep put the tip of the broadhead just above my chin almost through into my lower teeth. Sucked up my bleeding man pride and headed back for the house. My newly married wife was freaking out from the blood pouring out. But it was hunting season, so some quick sterilization and a few laps of tape around my head and chin I was back of off heading to a different closer stand. It's a faint scar now, but the real pain is the " good luck don't put an arrow in your face. " comment every time I go out.
You win

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I have a good one. Happened just yesterday. Me and my friend Daniel were stalking a bottom with tradbows. We saw a few hogs but no shots were taken. As we were headed out toward my vehicle we started stump shooting. We were on, both of us couldn’t miss. We got almost to my 4Runner and there was a pine stump about with the heart wood sticking up about a foot. Daniel hit it right on the tip of the snag. I drew shot felt good. I see the arrow like a laser. Perfect hit on the top of the snag. Arrow glances off at about a 45 degree angle to the right and flies 40 yards up hill into the grill of my 4Runner. 200 grain broadhead right in the AC evaporator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad told me a story of a guy he worked with years ago. His coworker was out deer hunting in November in Michigan. Nature called, so he found a log to set on and do his business with his hunting suit bunched up around his ankles. After he finished he pulled his hunting suit back up. For the rest of the day, he could smell like he had stepped in it and kept checking his boots. After hunting all day, fianally found the source of the smell after getting back home. He had dropped a load in the hood of his hunting suit and carried it around all day with him. Then the next mistake was going to work and telling my dad and all the guys he worked with.

When I was 19 years old, I stepped off a climbing stand (Baker Death Trap) platform from 16-18 feet up to get a better shot angle. No safety belt. It was the eighties....we didn't need no stinking tethers. Long slow motion fall. Pack boots, deep leaves and soft ground saved me. I landed on my feet and my coveralls busted open at the seams. Thought I tore my sack off. Completely numb around that area for 15 minutes or so. Worst part was bear hugging the tree to climb back up to get the stand.

Last edited:
My dad told me a story of a guy he worked with years ago. His coworker was out deer hunting in November in Michigan. Nature called, so he found a log to set on and do his business with his hunting suit bunched up around his ankles. After he finished he pulled his hunting suit back up. For the rest of the day, he could smell like he had stepped in it and kept checking his boots. After hunting all day, fianally found the source of the smell after getting back home. He had dropped a load in the hood of his hunting suit and carried it around all day with him. Then the next mistake was going to work and telling my dad and all the guys he worked with.

I have heard this exact story!

Yeah.....I had an uncle that pooped on his bib shoulder strap and it slapped him in the back of the neck when he was finishing his business. Bad morning.
Also taught with a guy who had a black lab that liked to do his business in the blind. Jerry kept smelling dog crap. He had set his gun stock down in a fresh pile and had ground it into the shoulder of his jacket while shooting.

As young kids running coon dogs and navigating by the stars, one night after a few good trees and coons down. It was time to go. Well the clouds came in and we hadn't a clue what way to walk out.
Needless to say, the sun was coming up and there were two tired young men vowing to never hunt without a compass EVER again. GPS was unheard of then.

Way back, I owned a Brent Hunt Whitetail treestand and I loved it. "UNTIL"........
I was walking my way to a hunting spot for an afternoon sit. Indian Creek was between me and the intended spot and it had to be crossed. I got to the creek and found what seemed to be a very easy spot to cross. As I was making the attempt to cross the creek, my feet left the ground and I uncontrollably slammed into the opposite side of the creek bank. Mud in my face, all over my clothes and in the barrel af my rifle, I sit dumb founded in the creek.
The tail of the stand had dug into the top of the creek bank causing the whole thing to happen.
As long as I had that stand on my back, I crossed all ditches/creeks while I was in reverse.

One of my first years hunting, it may have been opening day as all the fellas were hunting this day. We park along railroad tracks, I walk my 800 yards to my tree down the tracks. Get in the tree and realize I forgot my bag (fanny pack actually). Here’s where the dumb decision comes in. I decided to leave my rifle in my stand and jog down the tracks to grab my bag. I get to the truck look up and there’s a 110” 8 staring at me, 15 yards away. Lol no gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened several years okay.

Normally sit all day at this spot but decided to walk back and eat some lunch. Sure was thankful I did when I was greeted with the situation. Would have been a bigger challenge at night.

Now I have experience on another way to sink a boat and on boat recovery. Had to do some good ole' redneck rigging on this one. Took about three hours to bail water and Dry out the motor. The darn thing fired up and took me back home. Can't beat that old Yammy Hammer.

Thought you guys would like a laugh on me.
2f2d5fb1b45d99106ddfe1b9882cdfc5.jpg
65bffbebe25302c216ca754c766da997.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Happened several years okay.

Normally sit all day at this spot but decided to walk back and eat some lunch. Sure was thankful I did when I was greeted with the situation. Would have been a bigger challenge at night.

Now I have experience on another way to sink a boat and on boat recovery. Had to do some good ole' redneck rigging on this one. Took about three hours to bail water and Dry out the motor. The darn thing fired up and took me back home. Can't beat that old Yammy Hammer.

Thought you guys would like a laugh on me.
2f2d5fb1b45d99106ddfe1b9882cdfc5.jpg
65bffbebe25302c216ca754c766da997.jpg

What happened to cause that?

What happened to cause that?
Water level dropped out on me. I always leave a slack line to account for but boat hung up on an unseen root. Looked like when it broke free it slid in at a high angle immediately taking on water. Now I'm nervous everytime hunting the area. LoL

My bosses nephew took their deck boat out and didn’t insert the drain plug. No one noticed riding around and they docked and had lunch. When they came back out everything rear of the console was submerged. Somehow in his adolescent mind the way to fix the problem was to crank it up and pull it onto the trailer. He didn’t get it to start but did manage to bend the rods/pistons and ruin the heads. 20k later and they still let him use the boat.

Since we are on boats.
Was hunting in the swamp. Doing some midday scouting. Just run from spot to spot, jump out the boat and poke around. Water is low. Get to one spot and the bank is about 8ft straight up, above the waterline. I have the bow rope in one hand and phone on gps in the other. Just like the many times before, I plan to jump up and climb to top and tie off boat. I jump up and my arms reach over the top of the bank but my feet didn’t stick into the side and I start sliding down. So I let go of my phone and bow rope up on top the bank. I slide down feet into the water. Bad part was when I jumped out of the boat it pushed out and the current was taking it. The rope is only about 4ft out in the water. Now or never had to jump for it. That was a cold boat ride back to camp.

Since we are on boats.
Was hunting in the swamp. Doing some midday scouting. Just run from spot to spot, jump out the boat and poke around. Water is low. Get to one spot and the bank is about 8ft straight up, above the waterline. I have the bow rope in one hand and phone on gps in the other. Just like the many times before, I plan to jump up and climb to top and tie off boat. I jump up and my arms reach over the top of the bank but my feet didn’t stick into the side and I start sliding down. So I let go of my phone and bow rope up on top the bank. I slide down feet into the water. Bad part was when I jumped out of the boat it pushed out and the current was taking it. The rope is only about 4ft out in the water. Now or never had to jump for it. That was a cold boat ride back to camp.
Don't forget to go back for your phone after you warm up at camp!!!!! Lol

Back