• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dump Pouches

sdhunter

Anyone use dump pouches rather than carrying a backpack. I use an aerohunter evo and am looking to downsize from a full backpack. I will need to carry my strap on steps, and other essentials and have rigged up a sling for my sticks. Looking at something like this by Maxpedition I would attach these to the saddle so they would be hands free for climbing and such. Thoughts??

Lots of threads on this. Most people end up still using a pack. For me, I don't like having too much weight down my saddle, and having that extra stuff on there limits your mobility in the tree.

I agree with Red. I try not to add anything additional to my saddle because it causes more weight on the hips. Mainly because I walk in pretty far on public land, and its also annoying when trying to climb. I like carrying a back pack, that way I can just put an extra peg in and hang it up, but i try to keep my pack light so I don't get exhausted and/or sweat. Early October deer season in Oklahoma can be in 90-100 degree weather, yuck

Take a look at the Metolius multiloop gear sling. Hanging weight in the saddle is a bummer. The gear sling makes everything accessible while you are climbing. And it's easy to take off and hang. I use it to carry platform, tree bolts, pruners etc

Keep your dump pouches as light as you can. I made some out of fleece. I stuff my linesmans belt on my right and tether on my left in them. Keeps them secure while not adding real weight or bulk and actually is quieter.

And I have a large one on the back that can hold longer ropes and tools or a jacket

Lots of threads on this. Most people end up still using a pack. For me, I don't like having too much weight down my saddle, and having that extra stuff on there limits your mobility in the tree.
I am the same way. the times that I have tried to wear stuff it always pulled me down and was more trouble than it was worth. Going to try and use a turkey vest with self supporting seat.

I did.

For 1 season I elimitnated my pack altogether. I used 3 dump pouches on my Saddle and hand-carried other items. It worked, but I went back to a pack. I like it better.

I just picked up a military surplus fanny pack, I think it will be a great addition to my aero hunter. haven't actually used it in that manner yet, but the thing seems like exactly what I've been looking for to hold extra ropes while walking, and climbing. Light weight, durable, and cheap.

Fanny packs don't interface well...they sit right where your connections are.

I just picked up a military surplus fanny pack, I think it will be a great addition to my aero hunter. haven't actually used it in that manner yet, but the thing seems like exactly what I've been looking for to hold extra ropes while walking, and climbing. Light weight, durable, and cheap.

It could just be used while walking. I'm loosing the pack this year.. except if it looks like rain. A fanny pack might be a perfect addition if I need to carry anything else.. last year with sticks, ropes. saddle, pack, knife, and other crap.. I was at 22lbs ... and I walk a long way to get to some areas... lighter load this year. I hiked into a blow down island (where all the trees had been blown down a couple years prior.. .Wanted to hunt the point of it.. I thought I'd never get back out of it... jeez that would have been nice to be lighter that day. Hunting close to it this year but no going through it. I know there are some bucks bedding the edges of that stuff.

Last edited:
Back